Squad 2024/25

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Trying to remember what system Paul Wotton uses , 3 centre backs ? 4-4-2 ?
Was certainly impressed with his Truro teams work rate and passing on Boxing Day when in the first half hour particularly they absolutely played us off the park - it was embarrassing.
Working and running your socks off for 90 minutes counts for so much, giving 95% not good enough.
AdrianC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

I am still slightly surprised that Archer wasn’t offered anything given his work rate. I know it’s not just about that, the player has to have footballing ability too but I think he also had some of that and with good coaching there was a decent player there. I can’t imagine he was on a high salary either given the level he’d come from.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

I wonder if Archer made it known he didn't want to stay before anyone could hand him a renewal. It wouldn't surprise me if he said after the shit show of last season he wanted out.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

CornishGull wrote: 04 Jul 2024, 14:26 I wonder if Archer made it known he didn't want to stay before anyone could hand him a renewal. It wouldn't surprise me if he said after the shit show of last season he wanted out.
I saw some suggestion that Ethon Archer was offered a deal but turned us down. Not sure if there was any truth in that, but either way he is having a trial with Cheltenham … surprise, surprise 😉
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

CP Gull wrote: 04 Jul 2024, 15:29 I saw some suggestion that Ethon Archer was offered a deal but turned us down. Not sure if there was any truth in that, but either way he is having a trial with Cheltenham … surprise, surprise 😉
There goes my shit show theory, must really love Gary and Aaron.
Vick
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Vick »

CP Gull wrote: 04 Jul 2024, 15:29Ethon Archer ...is having a trial with Cheltenham …
Will he be trialist A or trialist E?

:)
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills

Post by Wubble U »

Tomlinson confirmed now as having signed:
https://torquayunited.com/tomlinson-returns-to-united/

Honestly not sure we needed another central defender, we already have ample cover, and Tomlinson for me was culpable for most of our goals last season, so a really poor signing imo
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

We do seem to have a lot of defenders! Potentially 3/5 at the back?

I have seen glimpses of potential in Tomlinson, although will admit he does have a mistake in him. I will put my trust in Wotton to believe he has seen something too. Managed him at Truro, and would have been at Argyle when he was coming through, so clearly feels he can offer something.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

leetufc wrote: 12 Jul 2024, 14:30 We do seem to have a lot of defenders! Potentially 3/5 at the back?

I have seen glimpses of potential in Tomlinson, although will admit he does have a mistake in him. I will put my trust in Wotton to believe he has seen something too. Managed him at Truro, and would have been at Argyle when he was coming through, so clearly feels he can offer something.
Tomlinson was always rated by Johnson or else he would have benched him early in the season because it was obvious he could not defend but we learnt the hard way how poor johnsons judgement was. Tomlinson does not inspire confidence amongst his fellow players and certainly not amongst the supporters, I lost count of the times last season when he cost us goals, for me he has had his chance with us but obviously no one else wanted him.
Owlgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Owlgull »

Tomlinson started the first half of the season well, but seemed to lose confidence and ability as the weeks went on. Without doubt our defence looked a lot weaker once Donnellan stopped playing.

I’m not sure that Tomlinson was able to cope well with the criticism aimed at our defence last season, however justified it was. Hopefully this season he will blossom under the new regime and deliver on the potential he has previously shown.
MoxGull2502
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MoxGull2502 »

Too prone to a mistake. Benchwarmer at best far to many well ahead of him.
AdrianC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by AdrianC »

Definitely a squad member, let’s see how many starts he makes. Hopefully a fresh approach behind the scenes will see him blossom!

John Major seems to have photobombed the signing on picture!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

In any non basket case club Tomlinson would have been considered a young player with a bit of potential who could be used as a sub and maybe gently eased into the first XI near the end of the season.

Instead he was thrown in at the deep end. I though he was generally ok last season. Occasional mistakes, but they were amplified because everything else was bad. I'm ok with him being back in the squad.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Cody Cooke signs from Bath
The gulls are going up
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Good signing, anyone got an updated squad list? We’re probably just looking at loans now