Torquay United v Enfield Town(VNLS game 1) - Aug 10th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Cracking result to start the new season. I recently attended a wedding in Enfield, so made sure this was the first result I checked when getting back home from Holker Street.

All the best for the coming 45 matches.

Ray
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Perspective is a funny thing . A few have mentioned how they thought Cooke was disappointing if that’s the right way to put it.
I thought the opposite in the first half as he was holding the ball up well and winning aerial duals which caused them lots of problems.
I saw much promise in his partnership with Ash.
Again not knocking previous posters but that’s what i saw and took from the game.
I thought Hasani was on fire when he came on and was unlucky not to start the game.
This squad is miles better than last years.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree I thought Cooke was good today especially first half. Just what we've been missing, a proper centre forward giving the centre backs plenty to think about. He will score goals.
RedGull1902
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by RedGull1902 »

Guys it’s the first game and very positive it was too, everything was better than last season! And about Cooke this guy will get bags full of goals!! Could have had 2/3 if ash would have squared the ball! Next week he will, at the moment it’s all too early point are what matter until the rhythm arrives, which the way I see it won’t be long👏🏼
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Refreshing to see us be able to put some good corners in!

Ash frustrated me, scored a good header, but he needs to do better especially in goal scoring moments when a pass is the better option

Seymour came on and showed how to finish a shot in the box - unfortunately it was offside

Showed the character i think we know we've got to come back from the early set back
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Half the playing budget and yet 4 strikers competing for positions. Amazing what you can achieve when you have square pegs in square holes.

Thought it was a really good performance - the Enfield goal was a really impressive counterattack, you'd be happy with that at top level, but impressive the bounceback and 3 or 4 by half time would have been deserved. Fair play to Enfield on coming out in the second half with some pressure but the good chances still fell to us apart from the very end where we certainly had a bit of luck, but also earned by players putting body on the line.

Think we have landed a gem in Dreyer, surprised he was not man of the match - that was a ridiculously good performance for a 20 year old centre back, positionaly great, really good getting a foot in, comfortable on the ball and looked like a leader. Carson also looked really good at both ends, especially in the first half.

I'd kind of agree today that Cooke was not the best, but at the same time I think positionally he got in good positions and put himself about well - when Ash put himself through and flashed it wide, Cooke was probably best placed for a pass to finish, can't blame Ash for going for it though, confidence is great.

Mussa and Hasani is probably the most interesting condundum - Mussa floated around, got into nice positions and was really good on set plays, but on the ball wasn't always perfect, the Enfield goal came from him losing possession, but overall he was a livewire. However Hasani was great when he came on, doesn't have Mussa's X-factor, but moved the ball quickly and overall looked really lively.

Overall incredibly positive.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Fantastic start to the season! Plainmoor must have been rocking with a great attendance!
Added bonus Like Torquay in the NLS MSP Gull is set to rise like a phoenix from the ashes and take this prediction league seriously1
1 for 1 to start....
TUFC67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by TUFC67 »

:scarf: Due to a 'failed fitness test', my Dad and I watched the game from Bristow's Bench. It was a different perspective than stood in the Popside. What was clear to see was that our defenders are really comfortable both on the ball and bringing it out of defence. The quality of passing from the back was incredible at times.

Carson and Dreyer, like all the signings, are great additions and will score their fair share of goals. No one rushed to play a poor ball, and Hasani's inside pass for Ash to shoot was sublime.

Wotton said there was much work to do - I felt highly entertained and cannot wait to see more. What a difference this team is?!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Yes, what a refreshing change to have everyone playing in their preferred positions and showing the energy, commitment and teamwork which was missing for so much of last season.

I thought the back 3 were excellent and I agree Sam Dreyer was the stand-out - not only solid in the air and on the ground but the guy is also a ball-player. One move in the second half saw him and Jay Foulston taking Enfield apart with one touch passing down the left. Having said that, Carson was a revelation and looked nailed-on as MOTM with a goal, a great assist and all-round wing-back play but rather lost his way in the second half. Cooke is the real deal as a striker and will score plenty - he and Ash were a real handful for Enfield. I really enjoyed Mussa's and Hasani's performances - again so much more creative than what we saw last year. But the side looks so balanced with Hayfield and Threlkeld doing the hard work in the engine room.

Particularly encouraging were the performances of the substitutes - none looked out of place and whilst Hasani was the pick of them, Collins, Seymour and Crosbie also showed they will make their mark this season.

All round, I have to congratulate the management on assembling such an apparently accomplished squad of players with the resources and in the time they had. There will no doubt be harder matches to come but it was a good start.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

Good to see us start the season with a full compliment of fit players all of whom put a shift in. Two teams that wanted to play football and not kick lumps out of each other, and a ref that was happy to play advantage and bring back play if necessary.
Only downside for me was trying to get served in the Gulls nest and the queue at the tea bar for a coffee.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Brewers boy wrote: 11 Aug 2024, 08:46 Only downside for me was trying to get served in the Gulls nest and the queue at the tea bar for a coffee.
I've used the Gulls nest regularly over a few season now, one big problem they've got there now is, Mandy and Lisa who ran that bar so well, and have the experience in dealing with large numbers have decided not to continue, they had a young girl, and a young lad whom appeared, to being trained as he went along, it's something I think they recognised as I went in after the match and there were 2 extra bodies behind the bar, they don't really want to be putting people off maybe its something they'll look each week on ticket sales.

As for everything else, if the new owners bring the success and unity they're striving for, bigger ques is something we'll have to get used to. Me and my friends normally leave the nest at 3pm, we went onto the popside at 2.15 yesterday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The fact that I choose to mention Cooke had missed a sitter yesterday, shouldn't be taken as criticism of his performance at all. Think we all know when you have a striker constantly getting into good goal scoring positions, it's only a matter of time before he'll net one settle down, and plenty of goals will follow.

PW himself said 'fans will have left left, thinking there's lots to work on' I thought it was important to paint an honest picture for those not at the game and couldn't follow it, that the team did create loads of good chances, which is great, but our finishing wasn't as good as it could or should have been.

That's not to say over the coming weeks it won't be.
Formerly known as forevertufc
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

Win on day one of a new season, can't ask for more than that. I thought the team looked good, and plenty to build on. On another day we could have scored 2-3 more and the result would have been more comfortable. On to the next one - COYY!