Torquay United vs Dorking Wanderers (VNLS game 4) - August 24th 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Anyone know if the match is on dazn? Is there a reliable link to the schedules?
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

DerekDawkinsJnr wrote: 24 Aug 2024, 14:42 Anyone know if the match is on dazn? Is there a reliable link to the schedules?
It's not shown on the NLTV homepage and you wouldn't be able to watch in the UK without a VPN anyway.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Aug 2024, 17:42 Gritty 1 nil home win.
Get in!!

Another welcome 3 pts. Hopefully it wasn't too gritty 👌
Early days but the table looks promising already.

Screenshot_20240824_171046.jpg
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Rode our luck at the end by the sounds it - Dorking had loads of players out injured but we won again.

The match wouldn't be on National League tv on a saturday afternoon within the uefa window as south and north games are not streamed at all.

All national games are streamed outside of the uk but can be watched if you have a VPN (or source it illegally)
RedGull1902
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by RedGull1902 »

Great result! And should have got a point at Farnborough! This team ain’t too bad !👏🏼
MoxGull2502
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by MoxGull2502 »

Massive win this against a very tough opponent.
I was concerned at the lightweight Ash and Seymour forward line and still don’t believe they are an ideal pair together.
Much prefer the muscle of Coady but appreciate with a Monday game it’s a squad game. Wotts got his subs spot on and at the perfect time. Ed Palmer outstanding 👏👏 everyone played there part. Big well done to 1 and all.
COYY
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

This team are battlers which we haven't seen for a long time and Wotton has proved capable at game management to protect a lead unlike the last couple of seasons.
Early days but this looks like it's coming together nicely.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Rio Doherty wrote: 24 Aug 2024, 06:50 Score - Torquay United 2-2 Dorking Wanderers.

Attendance - 3,552 (134 Dorking Wanderers).
Attendance: 3,566 (125 away

Great shout
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This was an ugly win against a side with great footballing ability but poor finishing. Ed Palmer had a wonderful game and he and Lirak Hasani were the difference between the two sides. Full credit to the management for the way they rotated their players to attempt to nullify the opposition - I hope those who picked up knocks will be available for Monday’s match.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Three points against one of the supposed better organised teams in our division, first half we didnt function well with seymour and ash up front who had centre half's head and shoulders taller than them ,we kept hoofing the ball and their centre halfs just headed it back simple as.Our danger man Carson couldnt get down his wing as he spent the majority of the game trying to protect foulston who had no energy or pace and wasn't keen on tackling today. Dorking had two wingers who hugged the touch lines which stretched our wingbacks and back three of which I am no fan. first half our most dangerous striking opportunities came from craske, closely followed by palmer which tells you everything about our forward line..
After Hasani scored his wonder goal logic dictated we should have pushed on but no, there was a conscious decision from the dugout to hold what we had, today we got away with it by the skin of our teeth,and only because they missed a sitter, many other games we would have been punished and rightly so.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

An excellent result.
For the first ten minutes we hardly got a touch. Dorking looked a good team and I thought it was going to be like Worthing least season.
We gradually got into the game and played very well for 20 minutes after half time.
After that the game was very stop start but Dorking looked more likely to score.
Last season we would have conceded. A stronger defence this season held on but we were very lucky that with the last touch of the game an unmarked Dorking player put a free header wide.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

This team are real battlers and fight for every ball and cross. We didn't get a kick first 20-25 as Dorking passed and moved well but didn't really test Hamon
but we gradually grew into the game ands fter what I presume were strong words from Wotton at half time we started playing and were the better team for 25 minutes, they then pushed us back and put in a stream of crosses but our defending was magnificent, so good that Hamon didnt really have any real saves to make, but how that header drifted wide of the far post in the last 15 seconds I'll never know.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

brucie wrote: 24 Aug 2024, 17:14 Rode our luck at the end by the sounds it - Dorking had loads of players out injured but we won again.

The match wouldn't be on National League tv on a saturday afternoon within the uefa window as south and north games are not streamed at all.

All national games are streamed outside of the uk but can be watched if you have a VPN (or source it illegally)
Oh give up…..Dorking had players out, Bath had players out, some other reason not to enjoy winning.
Just spare us your misery making and mark the effort by the boys today.
Great result, great effort, well deserved.
COYY
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There's not much about the game I can say that hasn't already been said, I totally agree it did take the team a while to grow into the match, Dorking pass and move the ball very well, early doors they were causing our defence so many problems, it is right to say for all their slick passing moves they didn't test Hamon.

Think our defence deserves a lot of credit apart from a few wobbly moments they defended very well through out, I did raise an eyebrow when Palmer was signed, but has to be said he was immense today and deserving of the motm, Dreyer so calm, can't see hanging on to him for long. As the half went on it was our team that finished the stronger, Palmer with a header cleared off the line and a long rage shot that just didn't dip in time, also Torquay forcing a fairly regulation save from Dorking's keeper, Torquay would go close with a header that some on the popside thought was in.

Second half I was a bit concerned at the start, thought our team came out a little slow, but an attacking run from Hassani breaking through midfield, not only had the effect of getting the crowd going again, but seemed to fire up a few of our players, there followed a period of Torquay dominance seeing us take the lead.

I've been to three of the four games so far, after the goal followed 15 minutes or so, of collectively the best I've seen from our new team, the energy and speed of our play was fantastic and really had Dorking on the ropes for while, however we all know Dorking are a class act at this level, they were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us in a bid to get into the game and they did push our team back in the last 15 minutes or so, and the miss of the season came with the very last act of the game, if the Dorking lad directs that header anywhere inside the post they pinch a draw, thankfully some how the lad missed.

All in all being fair Dorking should have took a point, but they didn't, I've seen it mentioned after other games, and here we are talking about Dorking might have had a couple missing through injury, to repeat my own message, I couldn't really couldn't careless who's out for our opponents, PW can only pick the best he has available to play against what's put in front of us, the team still have to go out there and earn the right to win, whilst I didn't fancy us today, that's what we've seen in this match and I'm delighted.

I'd also like to talk about how PW is rotating the squad, it's given me a real sense that PW absolutely has complete trust in every player he signed, unlike GJ who spent a Kings ransom a team who he clearly didn't trust half of the players he brought in.

I know I've touched on the unity at the club, just feel I have to go there again, don't know if others have the same feeling, from arriving at the ground, going in the gulls nest, to walking out on to the popside, the whole place just feels so different, happy smiling faces, a real buzz around conversations, and Hassani is right, every tackle, every defensive header won met with loud cheers, and to see fans in all home areas getting involved with supporting the team, it really does feel this club is going places now, and do feel whilst results are important for attendance figures, there will some real loyalty amongst the fans, I feel gates of 3000+ could well become the normal at TUFC
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

On a perfect pitch Dorking absolutely bossed the first 20 minutes and looked a very decent side. They moved the ball quickly and we barely touched the ball in the first 5 minutes.
It felt like we were being outplayed but to our credit we defended well and I thought Craske had a very good game.
Dorking kept going forward but by half time despite some good play they had not actually created a single clear cut chance which is a credit to our coacing and shape. So different to last season.

On 55 minutes Lirak Hasani scored a superb goal receiving the ball moving forward and striking a glorious left footer into the top right side of the net. Outstanding.
Paul Wotton is very good at using the bench which kept United on the front foot In the last 15 minutes Dorking again showed what a good side they are and United had to be at their best to hang on and make it 9 points from 12 after 4 games.
In addition to Craske Ed Palmer was excellent and Sam Dreyer was top class and all the substitutes performed well. Brad Ash worked his socks off.

A word for the Referee who let the match flow but was very much in control.

On to Chesham on Monday in good heart. COYY.