Charlie Baker on his podcast

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Charlie Baker on his podcast

Post by midtable »

Charlie Baker on his latest National league obsession podcast makes the point that when he is at a TUFC game he does not want to engage in polite football conversations with strangers.
I can imagine it can be a pain and he talks about it at length.
However, from a neutral point of view I can understand that a fan who has seen him perform at a local theatre or listens on Talk Sport really think they know him and have a connection.
Btw, the way the other half of his podcast John Cadigan has echoed the same view but he has no need to worry because nobody would recognise him if on his own.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

I suppose some people might recognise him. I don't think I would though. When I'm at TUFC, I'm so engrossed in the event that I don't want to engage too much with those around me. Certainly, effing and jeffing and a bit of like-minded banter. But I couldn't tolerate polite conversations with strangers....
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

He’s right in what he says!
The gulls are going up
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

To be honest, until 5 minutes ago I’d never heard of Charlie Baker and wouldn’t know what he looked like. I get all the info I need about TUFC from here, the Fbook site, the local paper, TUFC on YouTube. I don’t need to hear anything else, although I understand some would. I’m always happy for us to get free publicity though.

I sit next to my mate, I’ll have a brief catch up with him, and I’ll say hi to whoever’s sat on the opposite side of me, other than that unless a goal is scored I won’t be talking. I’m just there to watch the game and get angry, exasperated, joyful as we all do. Tbh if the game is dull, the moors always look nice from the Bench.

But I guess I’m not a people person!
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

I usually talk about the footie with whoever I'm next to in the Gulls nest and also with whoever sits next to me on the bench, but then, I'm a sociable person not a miserable billy no mates.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Was stood in front of me at Chesham. I didnt have the urge to chat but maybe an 'on the ice' would have been appropriate in passing.

Sometimes a good podcast, sometimes it rambles.
TUST #324
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Was the Billy no mates aimed at me? 😅😅😅 I have plenty of friends, (well I guess acquaintances,that’s Just slightly down from friends huh)

People mostly annoy me, especially those at football who feel they know more than someone who trains the players every day and has maybe played 500 professional matches. Says we should be playing this formation or playing a certain way, I don’t care, I just want to watch the game.

I also don’t get why at 3.35 a mass of people head to Boots and Laces, can’t you just stand and talk where you are?
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

Taelee73 wrote: 30 Aug 2024, 14:36
I also don’t get why at 3.35 a mass of people head to Boots and Laces, can’t you just stand and talk where you are?
I can't understand why some people can't last the length of a football match without consuming alcohol. Plenty of time for a drink before and after a game.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

Taelee73 wrote: 30 Aug 2024, 14:36 Was the Billy no mates aimed at me? 😅😅😅 I have plenty of friends, (well I guess acquaintances,that’s Just slightly down from friends huh)

People mostly annoy me, especially those at football who feel they know more than someone who trains the players every day and has maybe played 500 professional matches. Says we should be playing this formation or playing a certain way, I don’t care, I just want to watch the game.

No. Not aimed at anyone in particular, and no offence meant to anyone. I don't think I've ever talked about formations, just footie in general. I do see your point about people that think they know it all, they would bore me too.
On the other hand, my mate who comes with me and knows absolutely bugger all about football does often raise some interesting points about whats going on.