TUFC v Aveley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well that was frustrating, how aveley have only point before today is beyond me, their back line was the best I have seen this season, I have not seen a good competant first half yet from torquay, pretty passing does not win games and we are rather good at it, although I dislikee the southgate way of playing, sideways and back far to much. Craske first half spent most of the time in acres of space on the right and it was the 19 minute before someone actually passed to him, after that the two most effective and dangerous crosses were from craske, didnt see any injury and not sure why he never came out for the secnod half, with the exception of tonks none of the subs troubed aveley, first half I thought ash was electric but second half he just didnt do anything. Midfield does not support the forward line nearly enough and I would like to see strengthening in those roles.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Can't really add much to what has already been said although I thought Aveley were dreadful - relying on two tactics to score, long throws and corners both of which put us under repeated pressure. We were not much better and the only real flash of quality in the game was their free-kick goal.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

This softy softly, play it safe approach is not pretty to watch. Nevertheless, it is hard to be too critical when our standings see us in a play-off position after 6 games. To be sitting above Dorking, Boreham Wood and Maidstone at this stage is an achievement within itself, given where we were just a few months ago.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Aveley certainly had limited attacking quality but I thought they defended excellently. The GK pulled off a wonder save and a DF headed a goal bound shot in the first half. Second half they put their bodies and heads on everything and we didn't get the bit of luck this week.

Stay cheery everyone, it's all good!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not a lot I can add, yes it was frustrating, more so because they only thing Aveley did well in an attacking sense, was to hit a one in an odd occasion perfect free kick, and that is probabaly the main reason why the team haven't gone home with all the points.

I have no problem at all with our team retaining possession, football is not just about every pass being a forward one, any forward pass whether it be short or long needs and aim and some purpose to it, the one thing Aveley did well yesterday was to set up in a very compact defensive shape and they held that shape well through out, they parked the bus and posed us the problem of breaking it down.

Where our team fell short was, the execution in the final third wasn't good enough, and the movement off the ball at times was non existent , often forcing the midfield players to hang onto the ball, with no other option but to go backwards and sideways.

On the balance of play and chances, thought a TUFC win was deserved, so 2 points dropped, however in the previous game the team nicked a win when they probabaly only deserved a draw, so maybe these things do balance out in the end.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dave wrote: 01 Sep 2024, 08:18 Not a lot I can add, yes it was frustrating, more so because they only thing Aveley did well in an attacking sense, was to hit a one in an odd occasion perfect free kick, and that is probabaly the main reason why the team haven't gone home with all the points.

I have no problem at all with our team retaining possession, football is not just about every pass being a forward one, any forward pass whether it be short or long needs and aim and some purpose to it, the one thing Aveley did well yesterday was to set up in a very compact defensive shape and they held that shape well through out, they parked the bus and posed us the problem of breaking it down.

Where our team fell short was, the execution in the final third wasn't good enough, and the movement off the ball at times was non existent , often forcing the midfield players to hang onto the ball, with no other option but to go backwards and sideways.

On the balance of play and chances, thought a TUFC win was deserved, so 2 points dropped, however in the previous game the team nicked a win when they probabaly only deserved a draw, so maybe these things do balance out in the end.
Agree Dave - lacking a Tim Sills/Danny Wright type of CF.....
Really enjoyed the day - what a contrast to visiting last season... :clap:
Atmosphere was completly different, from getting a match ticket on the day, to the Gulls Nest and then pre and post match game.
All the staff seemed much happier!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I see they beat Dorking 3-1 tonight. Makes the draw on Saturday look a little better. Boreham also lost at home proving this division is up for grabs this season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AdrianC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

Hands up I wasn’t at the game so have only read the report and watched the highlights. Our highlights I believe are usually fairly edited, if the opposition create chances, they get shown. Assuming no change there, we had way more possession and created more chances than they did, as David Lloyd might say, “we flipping murdered them!”

I’m sure the longer they train and play together, the better it will be. However a couple of good loaners wouldn’t go amiss either.

COYY 👍