Torquay United v Chippenham Town - VNLS - 3rd September 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Thoroughly entertaining first half, it’s the first time that the team has gelled for long periods, rather than moments. Good movement, prolonged pressure on their play it out from the back system. A disjointed second half to be fair, could have finished 6-2. Ash with a marvellous tackle to keep the ball in and then a poor shot, one cleared off the line for them, the only downside the injury.

Fantastic crowd over 3000, which for a Tuesday was fantastic.

Wotton, I really like, such a difference from before. Always organising, cajoling, he’s a breath of fresh air.

Really promising.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Played with a far greater intensity in the first half than Saturday and Chippenham couldnt cope

Some great build up play and goals, shame about Foulston going off injured

Ref was all over the place but made it hard on himself for a OTT start by lecturing Cooke

Seymour is a better combo with Cooke, presses well and does simple things

Que Ash coming on, all over the place, selfish shooting which was poor to boot! Hopefully he doesnt return to the XI next game

Great to have a +3000 crowd on a Tuesday
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Thrilling first half creating a party atmosphere at Plainmoor.

Probably the best (first) half this season - totally overwhelmed Chippenham.

Many great performances from the United players.

Poor referee who fortunately did not orevent us gaining three points.

Can’t wait for the next match.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Fantastic performance by the whole team tonight.

First half we were light years better than saturday and we played some terrific football at great pace and at 3-0 we kept going.

Second half I think there were 9 substitutions but we continued to boss the game.

Paul Wotton is a demanding Manager even at 3-0 but the players are giving their all and look super fit. Highly encouraging performance. COYY.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well that was the most comfortable 90 minutes so far this season, and the most complete performance of the season so far . But was that down to our good play, or down to Chippenham being very poor? My honest answer would be a bit of both, however our squad tonight every single one of them are deserving of great credit.

Paul Wotton clearly unhappy at his teams tempo v Aveley seems to have really got into the squad, because the team have started this match like a F1 car, after calls for PW to watch Match of the Day for ideas, tonight thankfully I think the Chippenham boss seems have used MOTD as a coaching manual, as his Chippenham side tried to play out from the back in Man City style.

This for played right into our hands, as they didn't have the ability to do so, and not only have we seen our team match them with a high press, we've seen our team do so with a very high energy, so no surprise two early goals soon followed, we'd see our the Chippenham post hit also, from a tactical point of view I was shocked and as TUFC fan thankful that Chippenham didn't ditch that tactic at all, rather try than to play their way back into the game from 2 down, by defending with greater numbers and bypassing our midfield.

As the half wore on, and Chippenham continued in vain to play our from the back, TUFC would gain success from the high press, as Chippenham barely if ever troubled our team past the half way line, it seemed only a matter of time before their ran ragged back line would be breached again, and duly was as Untied went in 3 up at the break.

Second half was always going to be more difficult, 3 up at home very easy to withdraw a bit from the game, and Chippenham who were always going change things about, and try and restore some pride. Chippenham did play with a bit more purpose and energy in the second half, however it would take till 67th minute for them to get their first meaningful shot away, which had Hamon in the Torquay goal scrambling and no doubt would have found the net if on target, but flew wide, whilst Chippenham did pick a few corners after the break, asked a few questions of our back line, never really had us in much trouble through out the game.

As Paul Wotton rang the changes in the second half it did get us going again as an attacking force, Crosbie would have added a 4th goal but for an outstanding and well timed challenge from the Chippenham defender, and I think it was Ash who certainly should have added the 4th, but for a weak finish making his shot easy to save, TUFC largely continued win many 50/50 battles, and carve out some openings just couldn't find a way through to add to the first half.

This was an outstanding night for the club, to get a gate of plus 3000 again, on a Tuesday night with many exiles unable to attend and some schools in the area re-opening their doors tomorrow, just shows once again what great fans we've got and they were here all along, also I was surprised to see the Gulls nest more busy tonight than Saturday, both before and after the game, the tills certainly kept a ringing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well that was the most comfortable 90 minutes so far this season, and the most complete performance of the season so far . But was that down to our good play, or down to Chippenham being very poor? My honest answer would be a bit of both, however our squad tonight every single one of them are deserving of great credit.

Paul Wotton clearly unhappy at his teams tempo v Aveley seems to have really got into the squad, because the team have started this match like a F1 car, after calls for PW to watch Match of the Day for ideas, tonight thankfully I think the Chippenham boss seems have used MOTD as a coaching manual, as his Chippenham side tried to play out from the back in Man City style.

This for played right into our hands, as they didn't have the ability to do so, and not only have we seen our team match them with a high press, we've seen our team do so with a very high energy, so no surprise two early goals soon followed, we'd see our the Chippenham post hit also, from a tactical point of view I was shocked and as TUFC fan thankful that Chippenham didn't ditch that tactic at all, rather try than to play their way back into the game from 2 down, by defending with greater numbers and bypassing our midfield.

As the half wore on, and Chippenham continued in vain to play our from the back, TUFC would gain success from the high press, as Chippenham barely if ever troubled our team past the half way line, it seemed only a matter of time before their ran ragged back line would be breached again, and duly was as Untied went in 3 up at the break.

Second half was always going to be more difficult, 3 up at home very easy to withdraw a bit from the game, and Chippenham who were always going change things about, and try and restore some pride. Chippenham did play with a bit more purpose and energy in the second half, however it would take till 67th minute for them to get their first meaningful shot away, which had Hamon in the Torquay goal scrambling and no doubt would have found the net if on target, but flew wide, whilst Chippenham did pick a few corners after the break, asked a few questions of our back line, never really had us in much trouble through out the game.

As Paul Wotton rang the changes in the second half it did get us going again as an attacking force, Crosbie would have added a 4th goal but for an outstanding and well timed challenge from the Chippenham defender, and I think it was Ash who certainly should have added the 4th, but for a weak finish making his shot easy to save, TUFC largely continued win many 50/50 battles, and carve out some openings just couldn't find a way through to add to the first half.

This was an outstanding night for the club, to get a gate of plus 3000 again, on a Tuesday night with many exiles unable to attend and some schools in the area re-opening their doors tomorrow, just shows once again what great fans we've got and they were here all along, also I was surprised to see the Gulls nest more busy tonight than Saturday, both before and after the game, the tills certainly kept a ringing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

The best 45 from us this season, can't dominate a game for 90 minutes and they obviously improved second half without really troubling us. Hoped for a fourth but preferred the clean sheet.
Thought Hasani showed great anticipation to make that header his, need more of that in the box from the strikers.
Carson and Tonks were very good at wing backs, what a signing Dreyer has been and I really like Palmer - great at both ends.
Like to see Mussa get a game and see a performance but you can't play him yet. He is a bit frustrating and flattering to deceive, bit of a luxury player like McGavin was though he works harder than him !
Seymour needs a goal , unlucky last night and don't think it will be long coming.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest