Welling v Torquay United Sat 7 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not so sure tactics had anything to do with it,Seen a recording of the disallowed goal.

Its a criminal decision - nothing wrong with it all. That and the two that hit the woodwork - with an ounce of luck we would have been out of sight.

As for having big players - the giraffe they had up front was the worst player I have ever seen (well apart from Roddy Collins)
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

Unitedtillidie wrote: 08 Sep 2024, 07:35 Not a fan of this hoofball at all , but Warnock made a career of it so I guess this is what we’ve got to look forward to .
Neil Warnock isn't the manager, Paul Wotton is and it is he who selects the tactics. Warnock is an advisor.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Unitedtillidie wrote: 08 Sep 2024, 07:35 Not a fan of this hoofball at all , but Warnock made a career of it so I guess this is what we’ve got to look forward to . Won’t keep our crowds at 3000 though and I hope we do start to evolve gradually through the season . Not a bad start and off the pitch things are really looking up 👌
You make some valid points, but style of play isn't the be all and end all football first and foremost is a results business, as you and others have alluded to , the team have made a decent start and if we see a continuance of 5 wins from every 8 match sequence (a big ask) a play-off spot is the worst we'll finish with. I think attendances will hold up personally regardless of results, think many see what the Bryn Consortium are trying to do, and will support them.

Think I'd add also, there were no TUFC fans complaining when Chippenham attempted to play a 'pleasing on the eye' style of play and our team had carved them a new one by half time.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Listening to the comments from the manager after the game and he made a point of stating the long balls up front were definitely not what they'd been asked to do. He bemoaned the passing by of the midfield so I would guess he'll be working on that over the next couple of weeks training either side of the FA Cup game.

I really don't get the moaners. If it's not the chairmen being available too often it's the perceived long ball tactics. We're exactly where we could have only dreamed of just a couple of months ago, get a grip. Sit back and enjoy the new lease of life we've been given, it's a breath of fresh air in my opinion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Unitedtillidie
New Signing
New Signing
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Unitedtillidie »

Abbotgull wrote: 08 Sep 2024, 12:44 Neil Warnock isn't the manager, Paul Wotton is and it is he who selects the tactics. Warnock is an advisor.
Oh ok , so Warnock dosnt advise on how we should play then ,I think he probably has a fair bit of input and might of actually done a training session or two 🤔
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Having watched it several times , it's a very poor decision, I agree Cooke's flicked header does not go forward if anything slightly backwards so Seymour not offside .
The linesman must have thought our player knocked it back to Cooke but surely the referee could see it was the defender. Whatever they certainly cocked it up between them.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Unitedtillidie wrote: 08 Sep 2024, 14:17 Oh ok , so Warnock dosnt advise on how we should play then ,I think he probably has a fair bit of input and might of actually done a training session or two 🤔
I doubt very much that Warnock has had any say on any playing matters, that's not his role at the club.
Dave

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Regardless of your opinion on warnock's role at the club it would be stupid in the extreme for any manager not to take every opportunty to pick his brain, he will see things that wotton cannot yet grasp as a manager from tactics to man management.I have already said he is a resource that any club would rip your arm off to have at their club.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

There was an interview on BBC radio Devon on Friday evening, both with MW and NW

Warnock was very clearly he doesn't get involved with PW decisions, but he is there for Paul whenever he wants to run something by him

Sounds a bit like an advisor..... :whistle:
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

We were very unlucky not to win that, never mind lose. Unjust disallowed goal, hitting post & bar. Much better than Welling who were awful. They’ve had a lucky day & we need to be more clinical & pass it around -
a bit more.

Still think playoffs is our destiny this season & then who knows
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

From what I have read we were extremely unlucky to lose at Welling but that is Football.
What Saturdays results prove yet again predicting results and scores is why Bookmakers must love punters who bet on Footy.
Dorking 1 Weymouth 2. Amazing. Remember Weymouth had zero points from their first 7 games!
Chesham losing 1-2 but score in 93rd and 94th minute.
In NLS anyone can beat anyone so beware Pro Football is unpredictable and always has been.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

culmstockgull wrote: 08 Sep 2024, 15:31 Regardless of your opinion on warnock's role at the club it would be stupid in the extreme for any manager not to take every opportunty to pick his brain, he will see things that wotton cannot yet grasp as a manager from tactics to man management.I have already said he is a resource that any club would rip your arm off to have at their club.
Some of you do make me laugh at how you think football managers work. The only person besides Warnock who knew anything about football was Wotton. Warnock has been helping non football people learn how a football club needs to operate. I didn't say he wasn't there should his opinion be required but I doubt Wotton has asked him anything team related as of yet.

I suppose we should be grateful you've learned how to spell his name at last....
Dave

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

We’re inconsistent, which is pretty much what you would expect with a new team and manager, we played poorly yet should have scored 3. Wotton mentioned use of the long ball, the players will have his style drummed into them, sometimes the default method is long ball if we’re struggling. Hopefully in time there will be less rogue play and more of his style, I’m sure he’ll let them know!

I’d take where we are now, a young squad who will develop and maybe make us money, the next few seasons should be interesting.

Whoever gave Lovett abuse, why, just why? Would you say it face to face on your own, nope.

I didn’t moan about having too many Chairman’s Chats, if it’s every month so be it, I’ll still be listening in. My opinion was simply that too many may result in them eventually saying the same things every time about certain subjects. An opinion isn’t moaning, it’s an opinion.

They have praised Warnock up, so he is obviously providing decent advice, Wotton doesn’t need any, 600 odd games and a really good job at Truro speaks plenty.
Skillsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Regarding the offside goal yesterday…..

I was behind the goal. When Cody flicked it on towards Seymour he (Seymour) was offside. It does not make any difference whether the ball goes backwards or forwards. The ball then came back to Cody, who would have been offside had it not come off the defender. Cody then scored.

I believe the linesman did get it right, but by accident. I think (but not sure) that he thought the second touch back to Cody came off Seymour, so he flagged. That would have been wrong. But, as I said Seymour was offside after Cody’s flick. If the defender plays the ball because he thinks a forward is behind him, then that player would be deemed to be interfering with play and therefore offside.
Unusual incident all round but I think it was the correct decision, most probably by accident.