Bishops Cleeve FC v Torquay United Sat 14 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RedGull1902
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by RedGull1902 »

Christ brucie someone’s going to call you negative soon!!😀 at this moment in time you and unitedtilidie in my opinion are correct,we all want us to do well and a win sat will get us going again but yes there are things to address!
Unitedtillidie
New Signing
New Signing
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Unitedtillidie »

RedGull1902 wrote: 15 Sep 2024, 17:10 Christ brucie someone’s going to call you negative soon!!😀 at this moment in time you and unitedtilidie in my opinion are correct,we all want us to do well and a win sat will get us going again but yes there are things to address!
I’m sorry Redgull but I’m very passionate about my club and so far this season I’m not impressed, the problem is the club and supporters are a lot bigger , better than the actual team on it . I appreciate its a work in progress but this is the exact time we should be capitalising on the feel good factor and producing something a lot better for our £20 quid . I’m Torquay through and through but I can see where we’re heading as I’ve seen it so many times before . We need an injection of pace , a gk that can play and a proper striker up front although I have been quietly impressed with Cody .
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

There can be no excuses for yesterday but interestingly Hemel Hempstead top of NLS lost at home and Dorking, Farnborough, Welling, Truro and Aveley all lost all but Truro to lower League opposition!

It shows surely that NLS teams are not great.

We need to do a lot better and we will.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

portugull wrote: 15 Sep 2024, 18:35 There can be no excuses for yesterday but interestingly Hemel Hempstead top of NLS lost at home and Dorking, Farnborough, Welling, Truro and Aveley all lost all but Truro to lower League opposition!

It shows surely that NLS teams are not great.

We need to do a lot better and we will.
I'd started to come to this conclusion after studying various results and this is solely why I'm not too disillusioned with going out. Let's just concentrate on getting out of this dire division the right way. To me it's vital we get promotion, it would be a few games into the future before any financial rewards start to sway the argument the other way.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well if thats some kind of excuse then its a poor one. Of course Welling lost - the only team they can beat is us. Dorking ,Farnborough and Averly cant beat an egg either.

Funnily enough when Farnborough beat us it was because they were a great side - havnt they gone on a losing run since they beat us.

After the Welling game Wotton was saying how poor we were - well hes the manager so what the **** was he doing all week to produce that shitshow on Saturday then?

Obviously not alot or whatever it was it wasnt good enough. Saturday proved that our first eleven is probably top half of the league. Anything else and we will end up relegation candidates cause our back up players are not up to it.

Bottom of the league on Saturday and we cannot afford not to turn up again. Of course the return of Cooke, Foulston and Haytfield hopefully should improve things but we need two decent loan players mininum, otherwise our good start will be ruined.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I did not go to Sat match (thank God) and given the result am not in a position to agree or disagree with the opinions on this thread be they positive or negative. However, I was at the Farnborough and Welling match both of which we could have won and the latter we should have won, It is correct NLS teams are not that good and I sincerely believe we have squad who are talented and skillful enough to challenge for promotion but from the comments we were playing hoof-ball again on Sat to two 5 feet something forwards whereas Wotton said after the Welling Game that he does not instruct players to play hoof-ball. So why are they doing it? something is not adding up!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

And sign a keeper who isn’t a liability. Hamon always seems to have a mistake in him.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

I've got nothing against hoof ball. I used to love those John Beck sides. I always loved the 442 bang it straight into their box high. They never like it up em! All this tik tak Spanish passing gets right on my goat BUT if you are going to play it DON'T put two absolute vertically challenged strikers up front. Buy a couple of huge, ugly target men and let's get back to the old British way of playing. I do, of course, make exception of the great great Stevie Cooper, who though not 6'4 played like he was!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Unitedtillidie wrote: 15 Sep 2024, 18:02 I’m sorry Redgull but I’m very passionate about my club and so far this season I’m not impressed, the problem is the club and supporters are a lot bigger , better than the actual team on it . I appreciate its a work in progress but this is the exact time we should be capitalising on the feel good factor and producing something a lot better for our £20 quid . I’m Torquay through and through but I can see where we’re heading as I’ve seen it so many times before . We need an injection of pace , a gk that can play and a proper striker up front although I have been quietly impressed with Cody .
Its rinse and repeat with people like you

Win - silence
Lose - not impressed / should do better/ X player is crap

And before any moronic comeback, im still fuming we are out of the FA cup and its a terrible result but we aren't and can't throw everything away because of that loss

I'll see you back on here next time we lose :-D
Plainmoorish
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Plainmoorish »

Win together, lose together...always. Regardless of how bad the performance. Creates a long term culture that's for the greater good, on and off the pitch. Wotton's got this, incredible player pedigree and is developing into a great manager. But this is still very early days and both the team and manager need time. Big disappointment on the weekend (congrats to Bishop's Cleeve and best of luck to them in next round) and I'm sure the players are really feeling it. Zero point in beating them up and naming individuals. They'll be their own worst critics. Going to be a big job lifting them up. Who's up for some heavy lifting on the weekend?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 16 Sep 2024, 01:10 Its rinse and repeat with people like you

Win - silence
Lose - not impressed / should do better/ X player is crap

And before any moronic comeback, im still fuming we are out of the FA cup and its a terrible result but we aren't and can't throw everything away because of that loss

I'll see you back on here next time we lose :-D
I like watching three at the back especially in the premier, it gives far more options, however for it to work well you need the back three to be fast mobile and intelligent in understanding threat, we have a centre half back who is half reasonable at this level, when you add Palmer and Moxey who find fast walking a struggle then it doesn't work, Dreyer cannot cover both of them, these deficits were shown perfectly time after time on saturday.
To a certain extent having foulston and tonks as the two other backs doesn't really work for the same reasons, while they are reasonably fast and mobile they are both very inexperienced. I hope craske is back to fitness soon because he is the best right back we have by a mile.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

FA Cup shock is what the FA Cup is. Maidstone did it to several big teams last year. It’s a one off and We didn’t turn up.
Loans: why haven’t we got a couple in by now?? Is it finance or just availability??. We are only a couple of good loans players away from a team for the playoffs.
Personally after the trauma of last year I’m really with where we are. Part of following a team is watching players develop. The team look fit and strong. Tactically a little naive at times but as a work in progress it’s good. If it takes a season to get the base right and the new owners seem intent on just that then let’s enjoy the ups and downs.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

My summary having had a couple of days to reflect:

Tactics
I think the manager has to look at the tactics and learn. We had 2 lightweight strikers up against some massive defenders and we hoofed it forward. They hardly won a header. At times we played it on the deck and we needed more of that. Plus we lack a plan B/C with regards to shape. Certainly needs looking at. We were so slow and predictable!

Encouragement
The manager was very vocal and got right into the players. Some of it was constructive but at times (I was right next to the dugout) the players deserved a telling-off but also needed some guidance (linking back to the tactics). Again something to learn!

Players
For some reason we barely put a tackle in, hardly won a header and everyone was so quiet in the team. Lots of things in our hands that we didn't get right at all. I don't think the surface helped but that excuse can only go so far.

Bishops Cleeve have a great set up there and they certainly deserved the win. Good luck to them in the next round and back to the drawing board for us!
United62
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

My summary, also having had a couple of days to reflect:

We were awful. End of. Summary over.

However, as Midland has pointed out above, Bishop’s Cleeve have a great set up and they fully deserved the win. They should have scored more - a whole lot more. We could've still been playing now and still not scored. We can be thankful that not all of the opposition had their shooting boots on otherwise it would've been even more embarrassing than it actually was.

Thank you Bishop's Cleeve FC for the fantastic hospitality.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''