Bishops Cleeve FC v Torquay United Sat 14 Sept KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Unitedtillidie wrote: 15 Sep 2024, 10:16 How do we no Wotton is a good manager, because he took Truro out of the southern league , oh whoopee doo . Yesterday was a shambles , clearly the majority aren’t good enough and we’ve got lucky all season . Hoofball with two short arses up front ain’t going to work as I said last week the attendances will drop off with this style of football .We havnt got a gk that will play out from the back and just keeps kicking long , Seymour looks like a lost schoolboy , Crosbie is nowhere near this standard , Ash needs twenty chances to score one , reminds me Of Dean Edwards just a lot worse , Palmer and Hammon are part time and boy can you tell . But don’t worry we have our club which is a big positive , just have to get used to results like this 😡😡
I'm guessing that you don't know much football if you think PW only got Truro out of the southern league, bloody hell- he probably had one of the toughest jobs outside of the top 4 divisions in English football....I stand by that statement 100%...Truro were robbed of promotion during COVID, they had their ground sold off and ended up playing at Torquay briefly and in Plymouth having to put on free transport for a while for fans to attend games, they've had a nomadic existence for a good few years, culminating with playing in Gloucester last season for home games, and their schedule come the end of the season was colossal, I saw PW being interviewed at that time on sky sports news, he never once moaned or groaned, played the victim card or anything like that, he just knuckled down and got on with it, nobody has had it tougher in my view in the last 2 or 3 seasons than Truro and PW was at the helm of that situation, they were odds on to be relegated last season but they ended up with a respectable finish in the table...Gulls fans should be grateful that he's our manager
ShropGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ShropGull »

Just adding my reflections on the game. How embarassing was that?
This was BCFC's cup final and they outplayed us in virtually every position on the field. The first goal was a farce and BCFC could have had at least 5 in the first half. My MoM was Dreyer who was confident on the ball at the rear but one player doesn't make a team. As a consequence, I felt Palmer and Moxey were left exposed. The high balls to our two short forwards were wasted. I saw some glimmers of hope in the last 10 or so minutes when we kept the ball on the ground, were sharper, battled more and were more incisive coming out of defence but it was too little too late. Being towards the end of the game, BCFC were probabaly tiring but in reality and on the day they were just too good for us. Sadly, some of our 'supporters' were not taking any prisoners. The team knew they were not performing and foul language at players was unacceptable and not helpful. Final thought that pink strip is awful.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

My ( very controversial ) ten pence worth.
We had no intention of winning. The financial rewards of winning isn't great until you get further on in the competition. ( We probably made a loss on Saturday. ) I'm sure that PW said earlier on that our budget was based on gates of 2,000 and we seem to be getting a good injection through the share offer.
Surely the Target this season is promotion. With that in mind do we need the distraction of a cup run and the risk of injuries and fatigue on players.
Financially the rewards of promotion out of this league will outweigh the pitiful rewards from a cup run unless we draw a big team in the third round and you have to win quite a few games to get that far, and that all depends on luck.

This is my opinion only and not an accusation of the club.
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

ShropGull wrote: 17 Sep 2024, 10:47 Sadly, some of our 'supporters' were not taking any prisoners. The team knew they were not performing and foul language at players was unacceptable and not helpful.
The supporters who spent time and money and made the effort to get to Bishops Cleeve deserve at the very least to have a team who give the impression they are trying and care.
If you accept performances like this without a show of anger or any displeasure you will simply breed complacency..
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Boing is acceptable at the end if a match, however in my view nothing should be said from the safety of the crowd that you wouldn’t say face to face in the street.

It was a disastrous performance and result, there are no real excuses for that, whatever kit they wore, whether they thought they were too good, injuries. Again people are going on about winning promotion this season, that this should be the aim. The whole set up at Torquay has changed, from owners to manager to players, this season should be seen as one of building. Does nobody have patience anymore? Although I’d love promotion/play offs, who wouldn’t, a mid table finish has to seen be acceptable with a totally new setup, whatever the standard of the division and part/full time nature of it. As long as there is progression and a team steadily improving that can then push on next season.

Anyone thinking we set out to lose, were told to lose, it’s an opinion I guess, but players personal pride if nothing else would say otherwise.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

There's nothing wrong with 'aiming for promotion'. I don't know of anyone who thinks we have a divine right to it but you're the only one I know who thinks we should aim for mid table, including the directors. Of course promotion should be our aim. To say otherwise is just too stupid for words. This division is poor and it isn't being impatient to want to achieve promotion sooner rather than later, it's being positive. If it doesn't happen then so be it but it has to be the sole objective of a club our size to be playing above the level we currently are.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 Sep 2024, 18:42 There's nothing wrong with 'aiming for promotion'. I don't know of anyone who thinks we have a divine right to it but you're the only one I know who thinks we should aim for mid table, including the directors. Of course promotion should be our aim. To say otherwise is just too stupid for words. This division is poor and it isn't being impatient to want to achieve promotion sooner rather than later, it's being positive. If it doesn't happen then so be it but it has to be the sole objective of a club our size to be playing above the level we currently are.
:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

of course it is. Aiming for mid table. Completely ludicrous.
Abbotgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Abbotgull »

brucie wrote: Yesterday, 14:38 of course it is. Aiming for mid table. Completely ludicrous.
Aim for the stars, hit the moon. Settle for mediocrity, fall in the gutter.