Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

tommyg wrote: Surely the wages of Trollope and Hargreaves would be roughly the same as what Buckle and North were earning. Or are we looking to cut back on this area?
Well and truly looking to cut back I'm afraid. Also got the potential saving of Veysey and Milton's wage as well and don't forget the Chief Exec's twelve month notice period is coming to an end.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Rioch director of football with Hargreaves/Russell as manager anyone?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Spot on Regiment - legally you have to advertise a job vacancy, whether or not you have someone already pencilled in. My mate applied for the Man City job a few years ago before all the money came in and got a reply thanking him for his interest and wishing him well in his search for employment!

On a more serious note I have sent a Txt to CH to try and find the buzz. I am not going to lie, he is not a close friend but I do know him and his kids, I last had a good chat with him in February but we exchange Txts/e-mails. I can confirm that YES he has every coaching badge under the sun and YES he is/would be interested. Despite rumours he is not a close friend/acquaintance of Buckle as his departure (and that of Tim Sills) would testify, he told me the the reasons after the Crawley game. As for being out of the game for a season, if you ever have or had the chance to chat with him rest assured he still has his finger on the pulse and has contacts. That said good blokes - and he is a genuinely nice bloke with no arrogance or graces - don't always make good managers.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

devington wrote: Well and truly looking to cut back I'm afraid. Also got the potential saving of Veysey and Milton's wage as well and don't forget the Chief Exec's twelve month notice period is coming to an end.

At least he didnt get his near £20k for us getting promoted ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I have to ask Devington - how do you know this??

Need to keep Milton and Veysey. We are a professional club after all and need people such as these around the club to remain so.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Rich, he's perfectly correct, Milton has followed Buckle.
Dave

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Bollox. It just gets worse then.

I was not having a dig at Devington - just wanting to know if it was his opinion or fact.

Milton was the guy who has been identifying players such as O'Kane etc and will be a massive loss.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Chris, I'm surprised you mention Aggy and Branstonbauer but not Jesus, any reason?
Dave

I love Greavsie (in a truly footballing sense of course :~D ) and I would love to see him given a chance. However, the only way I could see it working with him at the helm would be if he had an older head (Rioch) to support him - that would be a perfect combination. But, as Devington has suggested, I'm not sure the finances at the club would allow a non playing assistant/coach? For that reason I think a Russell or Branston option might be more realistic?

My worry with Greavsie, should he be given the chance as the main man (on his own) is whether he could make the tough decisions that have to be made from time to time. By way of an example if Greavsie were in charge last season would he have given Greavsie another year on his contract .... if you know what I mean!
Silvergull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Silvergull »

So with all this discussion about a rookie manager coming in, would it be a fair assumtion that Geoff Harrop will be promoted to a more senior position to help the transition?
devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

John Milton never has got the credit he deserves. He is Buckle's mentor, he has a very strong character and tells people to their face when he has a problem with them. Buckle uses him as a sounding board and as has been pointed out he is a top scout who has brought some excellent players to the club. Buckle has now gone on holiday and left Milton to get on with sorting out Rovers, that's how much he trusts him.

He also has MASSIVE respect amongst the playing staff.

He will be a massive loss to the club.

Richinns - What I am being told is from the same source as has been feeding me info for months. He has NEVER let me down and I have no doubt he is spot on now.

Some of the things that I have been aware of would be enough to make any TUFC distraught.
Last edited by devington on 30 May 2011, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

CP Gull wrote: Dave

I love Greavsie (in a truly footballing sense of course :~D ) and I would love to see him given a chance. However, the only way I could see it working with him at the helm would be if he had an older head (Rioch) to support him - that would be a perfect combination. But, as Devington has suggested, I'm not sure the finances at the club would allow a non playing assistant/coach? For that reason I think a Russell or Branston option might be more realistic?

My worry with Greavsie, should he be given the chance as the main man (on his own) is whether he could make the tough decisions that have to be made from time to time. By way of an example if Greavsie were in charge last season would he have given Greavsie another year on his contract .... if you know what I mean!

As usual a very enlightened view, guess my heart is ruling my head for now, I really want Hargreaves here, I just feel he would put a huge smile back on our faces but then so would Aggy.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

devington wrote:John Milton never has got the credit he deserves. He is Buckle's mentor, he has a very strong character and tells people to their face when he has a problem with them. Buckle uses him as a sounding board and as has been pointed out he is a top scout who has brought some excellent players to the club. Buckle has now gone on holiday and left Milton to get on with sorting out Rovers, that's how much he trusts him.

He will be a massive loss to the club.

Richinns - What I am being told is from the same source as has been feeding me info for months. He has NEVER let me down and I have no doubt he is spot on now.

Some of the things that I have been aware of would be enough to make any TUFC distraught.

Agree totally. What he's done for us should never be underestimated. He was involved with most of the recruitment when Buckle came in and after the departure of Colin Lee he targetted some of the players we now adore. I've read some ridiculous things about him on another forum from people putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 69 but I hope fans realise just how much effort he put into his work for so little personal gain.
Dave

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

anyone suprised?? :no:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

yellowforever wrote:Rioch director of football with Hargreaves/Russell as manager anyone?

dream team!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
GasheadWes
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: N/A

Post by GasheadWes »

(From the locked thread i started)

Hello Gulls,

Firstly i would like to start by saying i hope there are no hard feelings between the fans, this is football and what is done is done. Obviously there is nothing we could have done as fans, but i understand that some of you are a little bit upset - if it was the other way around i would be feeling the same.

I have always had a lot of respect for Torquay as a club and have had some friendly banter with you guys and gals in the past - a good family club. It will be the first fixture i look out for, not because of the Buckle link, but because it is undoubtedly the best away trip. (D)

I just want to clarify something here too - Our board have not made any illegal approaches, we conducted our negotiations above board and through the correct channels, i know that for a fact. Obviously the timing wasn't ideal, but that is life and there was nothing we could have done about it as we had to act in the best interests of Bristol Rovers.

If you think back to the time when Mourinho left Porto, the deal was being discussed before the champions league final and he announced he was leaving 5mins after the final whistle, that clearly didn't affect his players and they went on to lift the trophy. Any suggestion that Buckle wanted you to lose, or didn't focus on the playoff final is absurd, but that is just my opinion.

Hopefully you can appreciate the good job that Bucks has done for you and move on as a club - one person doesn't make a football club and nobody is bigger than Torquay United.

I really hope you make the right appointment and can again challenge for the playoffs...

If i was you i would welcome someone like Paul Trollope with open arms. He did a great job at BRFC and was very highly thought of by the players, you only have to look at what Will Hoskins recently said about him on the BBC website. He is a forward thinking coach/manager with some good ideas. His teams play a progressive passing game and he will improve players individually and as a collective unit. He is always looking to improve and has the Uefa Pro license in the bag, as well as studying Bayern Munich and various other top European clubs training methods. Like i said - he would be a terrific appointment.

Anyway whatever happens i hope you enjoy a good 11/12 season!

All the best... :-D