skybet next manager odds

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

monkeyboy wrote:Wouldn't it be good to have Mark Robins? Don't think he would move down south but I think he would be a crackin' manager for us.
Left his previous club because of the fact they had too small a budget so that rules us out for sure!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

monkeyboy wrote:Wouldn't it be good to have Mark Robins? Don't think he would move down south but I think he would be a crackin' manager for us.

wont get mr robins im afraid.

as i said previously he left barnsley cos his budgets been cut!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Unfortunately Robbins left Championship side Barnsley through his own choice because he felt the playing budget on offer wasn't competitive enough ... so I somehow doubt what we would be able to offer would satisfy him!

Like I have said on other threads, I think our financial situation dictates that we will end up with a rookie Manager/Head Coach possibly combined witha playing role - but I really hope if we do go down that road that we have an older head to guide him - someone like Bruce Rioch. Now don't get me wrong if Rioch expects the sort of money he has earnt in the past we have no chance in bringing him in BUT if he still has the hunger and desire to be involved at 64 years of age and (hopefully) money isn't a major concern then he would be an excellent choice to guide a rookie.

Alternatively, perhaps we should look at the BSP and consider the likes of Burr(Kiddie), Bogie (Gateshead), Haylock (H&Y) or even Brittain (Bath).
GullsFan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by GullsFan »

Gianfranco Zola anyone?
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I think we're going for experience.

From what I've heard it's Frank O'Farrell as Director of Football, but with a younger man as first team Coach...Ken Furphy.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

I think Trollope would eventually be a good choice. If Hargreaves gets it ( and i love the bloke to bits ) we could be staring at the BSP sooner than we think. If Hargreaves was the new manager then i would like to see how he gets un up until after Christmas and if his lack of experience sees us rooted to the foot of the table or thereabouts then we must be ruthless and replace him. Brutal and not always effective but necessary when it comes to newcomers in the shit who are floundering and don't know what to do next. That is assuming he does badly. He may be doing great in which case what a fantastic appointment!! The fact is nobody knows if the new man who comes in will be good or bad , we just have to give him our support right until the last moment it is reasonable for us to do so.Like getting hammered every week and being cut adrift in February. Agree with others though, the list of potential candidates is really poor, what about Postman Pat , i've heard he's looking for a career change?
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

I'll trust the board with this one, they didn't do too bad last time. Robins shout was pie in the sky, but I reckon he is going to be a top manager one day. Most realistic appointment would be Trollope, most popular would probably be Leroy (sorry to the distinctly anti-Leroy posters).
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Unfortunately, i think Bucks was Colin Lee's choice. After Keith Curle said no.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

You're right, with the boards approval. I really trust in our chairman and the current board. Keith Curle, not doing too bad now is he?!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

My point was it was Colin Lee that identified them - not anybody in the current boardroom.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

if hargreaves has coaching badge, the contacts and we can keep the core of our team then i dont think he'll have too much trouble finding his feet.
with a talented bunch like we got it shouldnt take too much to inspire them and play on the floor football that we've become accustomed to, surely?
still keeping the faith
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Best person that's relatively realistic for us would be Jim Gannon. However, I think that he's probably out of our price range.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Best place for Jim Gannon would be as far away from the club as possible - just look at how he ripped Port Vale apart this season.
yellowhammer
New Signing
New Signing

Post by yellowhammer »

I'm a big fan of Hargreaves and I imagine he'd give us contacts and continuity. However is he the right personality? Is he too matey to be manager? I reckon now is too early for him to return.

Anybody who can play to the current squad's strengths, preferably with experience.
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by allez mons »

I am also a big fan of CH as previously stated.

However...........there is 1 name, not very obvious admittedly who, in an interview with the FL Paper at the weekend said he is desperate to get into management having just had a taste of it and was "more than willing to go to Lge 2 or the Conference".
He took over his team when they were deep in the mire on a temporary basis....gained 32 points whilst in charge......lead them to a more than respectable mid-table.....was told thanks but no thanks at the end of the season.....and having played in the higher echelons with Birmingham, Reading etc will have a busload of contacts. Step forward Nicky Forster - formerly of Brentford. Just a thought.