NO 2 PAUL TROLLOPE

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GasheadWes
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: N/A

Post by GasheadWes »

Fonda wrote: Seriously, if your board reacted 'hastily' in getting rid of him, it was a reaction to something. And from what i've seen elsewhere, that something was that many of the fans didn't rate him. I've yet to see a comment from any Rovers fan regretting that he got the boot.
Our fans are a clueless bunch at times. This is a group of fans who thought Jason Roberts was a waste of space and a rubbish striker. This is also a group of fans who thought Rickie Lambert was a rubbish signing - describing him as a "fat midfielder".

Our board reacted to the disappointment of a LDV defeat. Nothing more, nothing less. They put all their eggs in one basket so to speak and panicked when it went wrong.

One of the main reasons they gave for his dismissal was the falling attendances - well i can tell you that those falling attendances were more as a result of inept antics in the boardroom, certainly more so than Paul Trollope's management abilities. Our board cut the wage bill in half and left Trolls operating with a piss poor small squad. The board have also been a disgrace with their handling of our proposed new stadium - a stadium we should already be playing in.

If you read the internet forums then there were a lot of fans happy with his dismissal, but it is always the dissenting voices that shout loudest, the Trolls fans were drowned out.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote: A fair point, but lets look at the whole picture and see where he got sacked from: L1 at a club who's board expect them to be challenging for the play-offs, i imagine.

What we're looking at is whether he can do a good job here, and I'm not sure that Trollope being sacked by Rovers negated the positives he has in his favour (the previously mentioned promotion and 11th placed L1 finish).
As i've said previously, i'd rather we go for him than another complete novice. My concern is his football philosophy, and where that will leave some of our more talented players.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start forget Leroy,he has a very safe comfortable media job which he seems to enjoy,he is not coming back as our manager,why would he?

I have said all along i would be happy to Paul Trollope here as our manager and i am sticking to my view,and since when has Lennie Lawrence ever been considered a football or management genious in his time,did not see any Rovers fans talking about LL geniuos or his effect on team affiars untill after he left and things started to go wrong,the wheels falling of there wagon was nothing to do with the loss of several of there top players futher up the food chain,i dont know maybe some of these gasheads can give an opinion on that.

I would not mind if Chris Hargreaves got the job either,however would prefer him to in as P/T''s no 2,Greavsie is still held in high respect around the club,and with his involvment i can not see many in fact any of our current contracted players wishing to leave.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I can't see that Greavsie coming in as No2 could work. He's a big personality, and popular with the fans. If Trollope was manager with him waiting in the wings, one or two bad results and the pop-side would start calling for CH's promotion.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

With Milton leaving as well, i think the call for experience becomes even greater. If it's Hargreaves or Trollope, then I would take Trollope. However, if we could somehow convince Rioch to come on board my first choice would be Bruce with a player-coach learning from him (seeing as we can't afford a non-playing number 2), be that Alex Russell or any other player.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Kit_robin wrote:With Milton leaving as well, i think the call for experience becomes even greater. If it's Hargreaves or Trollope, then I would take Trollope. However, if we could somehow convince Rioch to come on board my first choice would be Bruce with a player-coach learning from him (seeing as we can't afford a non-playing number 2), be that Alex Russell or any other player.
I agree wholeheartedly.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

To me that would be the "dream team" ..... Rioch and Russell.

I doubt it will happen though.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Paul Trollope in my mind could prove to be a very good Manager for you. Our main problem with him was that he had his favourites and stuck with them good or bad. Certain players would play every week and if suspended or injured would come straight back in even if their replacements played well. A lot of players liked him and his signings were either very good or very poor.There was no half way. I dont think you will see the flowing football that you seem to have played this season but you will find that your team is well organised.Most of the football you play will be at the back and it can be frustrating to watch but there again it brought us two seasons of mid table League 1. When he was sacked I would say it was probably 60-40% in favour of his sacking. Before he was sacked it was probably 50-50.
I wish you good luck in the coming season and look forward to our games. As regards us being a "Big Club" we are nowhere near as big as our local rivals. In actual playing terms I would say that we are not as good as your team and if we kept the team we had this season we would be nearer the bottom than the top next season. Compared to yourselves in other aspects we probably are a big club having taken around the 40,000 mark on each of our appearnces at Wembley/Cardiff but being looked on as a big club brings expectation which can work against you. When we played at Twerton we were called "Ragbag Rovers" but the spirit amongst the fans/players/management was fantastic. I very much hope that Paul Buckle works for us and if you appoint Trollope I think there is a good chance he will do well for you.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

friendlygas wrote:Paul Trollope in my mind could prove to be a very good Manager for you. Our main problem with him was that he had his favourites and stuck with them good or bad. Certain players would play every week and if suspended or injured would come straight back in even if their replacements played well. A lot of players liked him and his signings were either very good or very poor.There was no half way. I dont think you will see the flowing football that you seem to have played this season but you will find that your team is well organised.Most of the football you play will be at the back and it can be frustrating to watch but there again it brought us two seasons of mid table League 1. When he was sacked I would say it was probably 60-40% in favour of his sacking. Before he was sacked it was probably 50-50.
I wish you good luck in the coming season and look forward to our games. As regards us being a "Big Club" we are nowhere near as big as our local rivals. In actual playing terms I would say that we are not as good as your team and if we kept the team we had this season we would be nearer the bottom than the top next season. Compared to yourselves in other aspects we probably are a big club having taken around the 40,000 mark on each of our appearnces at Wembley/Cardiff but being looked on as a big club brings expectation which can work against you. When we played at Twerton we were called "Ragbag Rovers" but the spirit amongst the fans/players/management was fantastic. I very much hope that Paul Buckle works for us and if you appoint Trollope I think there is a good chance he will do well for you.
The same can be said for Buckle.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

GasheadWes wrote: Sorry mate but you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Trolls has only had one management job and he has a L2 promotion to his name, a JPT Trophy final appearance and he also led us to the quarter final of the FA Cup.

If that makes you think he will get you relegated then you are sadly mistaken.
Was this all whilst Lennie Lawrence was sat upstairs pulling the strings?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
GasheadWes
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GasheadWes »

Burnhamgull wrote: Was this all whilst Lennie Lawrence was sat upstairs pulling the strings?
Lennie Lawrence was an overpaid, glorified assistant manager. He even admitted that himself. His 'role' of Director of Football was abandoned after a few months.

And before anyone starts quoting that 'it went wrong after he left' crap...no it went wrong because the board slashed the budget in half and forced Trolls to work with a limited squad.
exmouthgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: zebs

Post by exmouthgull1 »

Looking at trollope's record you can't really knock it. Took rovers up to league one, stablisedf them there for 2 seasons, yeah got sacked but was proberly a bit harsh i mean it didnt change bristol fortunes. You never know he could do good here.
GasheadWes
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GasheadWes »

exmouthgull1 wrote:Looking at trollope's record you can't really knock it. Took rovers up to league one, stablisedf them there for 2 seasons, yeah got sacked but was proberly a bit harsh i mean it didnt change bristol fortunes. You never know he could do good here.
Don't forget he also took us to an LDV final and into the FA Cup Quarter Final's.