Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

If Trollope is so good, why were you so keen to get rid of him...?

I have no doubt you acted within the rules when approaching him. Part of our frustration is that we are so happy to be walked over in these situations.

As for the game, he was evidently working on a list of targets for you during our Play-Off campaign - and his mind was on this job?

Cheers for the well wishes, but i'm not sure we're ready to accept this gracefully just yet.
Last edited by Fonda on 30 May 2011, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
GasheadWes
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: N/A

Post by GasheadWes »

Fonda wrote:If Trollope is so good, why were you so keen to get rid of him...?

I have no doubt you acted within the rules when approaching him. Part of our frustration is that we are so happy to walked over in these situations.

As for the game, he was evidently working on a list of targets for during our Play-Off campaign - and his mind was on this job?

Cheers for the well wishes, but i'm not sure we're ready to accept this gracefully just yet.
I don't think the fans were so keen to get rid of him at all, there wasn't even one chant of 'Trollope Out' or any voices of discontent on the terraces.

I think the board panicked and made a hasty decision. They were banking on us beating Exeter in the JPT and when we lost on penalties they showed him the door. A very dodgy decision and the timing was all wrong. I'm not sure anyone really understood the decision fully.

I will be quite honest - we don't really have a board who understand the ins and outs of football. They are businessmen after all, not football people.

Trollope is a good man and a good manager.

Lets not forget he has a L2 promotion to his name, a JPT Trophy final appearance and he also led us to the quarter final of the FA Cup.

Not bad for his first management job.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Post taken from the Bristol Rovers forum:

Nobody seems to have picked up on the fact that he said Rovers Board have been very professional and correct in the way they dealt with him. He also said he only sat down yesterday with them to sort things out and he was grateful they left it until after his season had ended. All very different from some of the things being thrown at Rovers by some Torquay fans.

Our season officially ended after the defeat against Stevenage, on Saturday night. So that left Sunday to sit down with the Bristol Rovers board. Funny that, seeing as he said in his post match interview that he would sort his future out today (Monday).

What about the sightings at the Memorial Stadium then too?

Yet more bollocks from Mr Arrogant.

We deserve better.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

I do not resent PB moving on - It must be difficult to keep motivating himself in the face of the chronic apathy of the Torbay pubic and the chronic inadequacy of our administrative backroom staff. I'd have probably felt the same myself. We all knew what was going to happen today, but we all still applauded him after the match at OT. Had it been handled slightly differently, I would happily wish him well for the future.

I do, however, share the feelings of many TUFC fans with regard to the manner in which this was handled. PB has been coined on one thread as lacking class - I think that is a fair comment - and even through our better times have felt this about him. It has been strange that for all the decent results he has bought us, many fans just didn't take to him. Some say this was due to his Exeter links, but that is rubbish in my opinion - his awful manner with the media and his huge ego put up a barrier between him and the fans. In fairness to him he is not judged by his performance on TV, he is judged on results. On the whole they have been good.

On the eve of the Play Off final PB straight batted a question about his future very professionally - at last I thought - someone has taught the fella an ounce of humility! This was a huge contrast to the unedifying comments attributed to him over the last two weeks where he was basicaly pimping himself around any club who would listen. It is a shame his tenure ended in this way, but these things happen every year in football. I'll be intersted in how he does at Rovers - I honestly don't know how to judge his potential - he won't react well to any board room or fans pressure. How long did Rovers give Penney? Will PB get longer if things don't go so well? This reminds me of when Hodges received an offer from Argyle that he felt he couldn't refuse. PB, like Hodges, has started to beleive his own hype. Football does not always work out that way. The one thing he was given at Plainmoor was time - there were a couple of times when a less patient Chairman would have fired him. Credit to ours, they stuck with him and PB took the club forward. I'm not sure he'll get such grace at Rovers. If I remember correctly, when Hodges moved on most fans vitriol was directed at Mike Bateson's lack of ambition. We at Torquay Utd are well used to players and managers seeking to move away to better their careers - I think we respect that. Unfortunately, it comes back to Buckle's pimping himself whilst we were in the Play Offs. It is a shame he has soiled his legacy in this way.

The important thing from our point of view is that Paul Buckle is far from irreplaceable. He made it clear that he viewed his time at TUFC as part of his Managerial apprentiship - we know Paul !!!!! we were there, remember? We witnessed your rabbit stuck in headlighs moments in the Exeter play offs, we witnessed the Hargreaves at centre back experiment that nearly cost you your job, we stood by and watched Martin Rice cock up whilst a you were having a petty squable with a far better keeper. We and PB have made steady progress over the 4 years and I would have loved our board to persuade him to stay. However, I think PB, Bristol Rovers and us TUFC fans have all got a bit carried away with the team and PB's ability when we sneaked into the Play Offs with a comparatively oirdinary number of points in a comparatively dismal League Two with very little quality. This was just another season of consolidation - not that i wouldn't have settled for that back in August. As we sneaked into the Play Offs I rather think Rovers may have higher expectations than they should - Rather like Swindon fans thought they were getting a complete striker when they got work in progress in Benyon, Buckle is still very much work in progress as a Manager - and has needed the help of Lee, North, Milton and Veysey. I have always felt this was too lavish for a club our size. Lovely if you can afford it - Torquay can't and we need to cut our cloth accordingly. A full time goal keeping coach ffs - and both keepers have gone backwards this year!!

So, thanks Paul. I hope Rovers are patient with you. At least living there will fit in better with your domestics - that way you can get to spend more time with your ego.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

I do not resent PB moving on - It must be difficult to keep motivating himself in the face of the chronic apathy of the Torbay pubic and the chronic inadequacy of our administrative backroom staff. I'd have probably felt the same myself. We all knew what was going to happen today, but we all still applauded him after the match at OT. Had it been handled slightly differently, I would happily wish him well for the future.

I do, however, share the feelings of many TUFC fans with regard to the manner in which this was handled. PB has been coined on one thread as lacking class - I think that is a fair comment - and even through our better times have felt this about him. It has been strange that for all the decent results he has bought us, many fans just didn't take to him. Some say this was due to his Exeter links, but that is rubbish in my opinion - his awful manner with the media and his huge ego put up a barrier between him and the fans. In fairness to him he is not judged by his performance on TV, he is judged on results. On the whole they have been good.

On the eve of the Play Off final PB straight batted a question about his future very professionally - at last I thought - someone has taught the fella an ounce of humility! This was a huge contrast to the unedifying comments attributed to him over the last two weeks where he was basicaly pimping himself around any club who would listen. It is a shame his tenure ended in this way, but these things happen every year in football. I'll be intersted in how he does at Rovers - I honestly don't know how to judge his potential - he won't react well to any board room or fans pressure. How long did Rovers give Penney? Will PB get longer if things don't go so well? This reminds me of when Hodges received an offer from Argyle that he felt he couldn't refuse. PB, like Hodges, has started to beleive his own hype. Football does not always work out that way. The one thing he was given at Plainmoor was time - there were a couple of times when a less patient Chairman would have fired him. Credit to ours, they stuck with him and PB took the club forward. I'm not sure he'll get such grace at Rovers. If I remember correctly, when Hodges moved on most fans vitriol was directed at Mike Bateson's lack of ambition. We at Torquay Utd are well used to players and managers seeking to move away to better their careers - I think we respect that. Unfortunately, it comes back to Buckle's pimping himself whilst we were in the Play Offs. It is a shame he has soiled his legacy in this way.

The important thing from our point of view is that Paul Buckle is far from irreplaceable. He made it clear that he viewed his time at TUFC as part of his Managerial apprentiship - we know Paul !!!!! we were there, remember? We witnessed your rabbit stuck in headlighs moments in the Exeter play offs, we witnessed the Hargreaves at centre back experiment that nearly cost you your job, we stood by and watched Martin Rice cock up whilst a you were having a petty squable with a far better keeper. We and PB have made steady progress over the 4 years and I would have loved our board to persuade him to stay. However, I think PB, Bristol Rovers and us TUFC fans have all got a bit carried away with the team and PB's ability when we sneaked into the Play Offs with a comparatively oirdinary number of points in a comparatively dismal League Two with very little quality. This was just another season of consolidation - not that i wouldn't have settled for that back in August. As we sneaked into the Play Offs I rather think Rovers may have higher expectations than they should - Rather like Swindon fans thought they were getting a complete striker when they got work in progress in Benyon, Buckle is still very much work in progress as a Manager - and has needed the help of Lee, North, Milton and Veysey. I have always felt this was too lavish for a club our size. Lovely if you can afford it - Torquay can't and we need to cut our cloth accordingly. A full time goal keeping coach ffs - and both keepers have gone backwards this year!!

So, thanks Paul. I hope Rovers are patient with you. At least living there will fit in better with your domestics - that way you can get to spend more time with your ego.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Enzo wrote:I do not resent PB moving on - It must be difficult to keep motivating himself in the face of the chronic apathy of the Torbay pubic and the chronic inadequacy of our administrative backroom staff. I'd have probably felt the same myself. We all knew what was going to happen today, but we all still applauded him after the match at OT. Had it been handled slightly differently, I would happily wish him well for the future.
Agree with this. There can be no complaints if he feels he's taken the club as far as he can. Less than 7,000 being prepared to follow the team to a Play-off Final says it all about the club and town unfortunately. The problem i have with the whole situation, as you alluded to, is the timing and the lack of respect he's shown by sorting this out before our own season had finished.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

'I leave with a heavy heart' and all the other sentiments of how much appreciation and respect he has for the club and the board. Well, I wonder if those words will have the same meaning as 'The deal is not done yet' and 'The players will be all together next season - without maybe Potter' in the days to come. I do not trust a word this man says, I believe nothing will stop him in his selfless pursuit of success - the ink will hardly be dry on his signature before the Torquay well wishers recall the deja-vu of the last weeks fiasco and he starts and I quote 'I will be contacting players from my comprehensive database!' (I can provide all sources for these quotes).

Personally, I can see the way forward unlike some at the moment now after a couple of days of getting accustomed to the inevitable and I too would have thanked him and wished him well for the future were it not for the deceit. I am sure he will undo himself in the years to come unless he changes his attitude. Yes, you can't be simply a nice bloke to be a manager, but you should have integrity and you should handle things in the right manner. This, I am afraid he does not.

Our play-off final will be remembered for the Buckle Show that was 'Heads I Win', 'Tails You Lose' or 'Win and I Stay' and 'Lose and I Leave' - whichever option you believe, to me it really was only about one man and not the club. I truly believe this.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Interesting how long before we have another Argyle with Rovers http://www.southwestbusiness.co.uk/news ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

I posted this on a previous thread but what of Nicky Forster, formerly of Brentford?

Took over temporarily, when they were deep in the brown stuff; got them to mid-table respectability gaining 32 points in the process; guided them to a JP Cup Final; was told thanks but no thanks at the end of the season; and in an interview at the weekend would be "more than willing to drop into Lge 2 or Conference for another opportunity"; and having had more clubs than Peter Stringfellow (Birmingham/Reading etc..) must have a bus load of contacts. Just a thought.............
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Fonda wrote: Agree with this. There can be no complaints if he feels he's taken the club as far as he can. Less than 7,000 being prepared to follow the team to a Play-off Final says it all about the club and town unfortunately. The problem i have with the whole situation, as you alluded to, is the timing and the lack of respect he's shown by sorting this out before our own season had finished.
I agreed with it first time, but wasn't convinced second...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I have to say that Enzo has summed up my thoughts rather well with his post.

In my opinion Bucks has ruined four seasons of (mostly) enjoyment by doing what he has done.

The way that the club have seemingly rolled over and allowed Brizzle Rovers to roger us up the arse during a massive, massive couple of weeks suggests to me that maybe we are still as "tinpot" as our neighbours would have us believe. Would you get this sort of farcical situation anywhere else.

Eff off Bucks - thanks for nothing as far as I am concerned. I hope we give you a very unhappy time when you next grace Plainmoor with your presence.

What a Charlie Uniform November Tango you are.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Bucks just confirmed on BBC Spotlight speaking from Spain that Rovers compensated United. I wonder how much?
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

portugull wrote:Bucks just confirmed on BBC Spotlight speaking from Spain that Rovers compensated United. I wonder how much?
Probably a bag of minstrels and a £5 off coupon for Tesco.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Oh well that's ok then. I bet we drove a real hard bargain too. Probably got enough to fuel the car we hired to deliver him.
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Bucks just confirmed on BBC Spotlight speaking from Spain that Rovers compensated United. I wonder how much?
In all probability it was very fair to United. Our board of directors are no fools and would've made sure it was more than adequate...