How's this for a new manager !!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

How's this for a new manager !!

Post by Dutchgull »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13606226.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mention of Kevin Phillips immediately made me think of all those times that we have hit the woodwork. He would be able to show them how to put it into the net !!

:goal: :lol:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Dutchgull wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13606226.stm

The mention of Kevin Phillips immediately made me think of all those times that we have hit the woodwork. He would be able to show them how to put it into the net !!

He could probably still play in League 2. Hmm. Player-coach....intriguing...
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dutchgull wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13606226.stm

They're not related, are they ? :(
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Would love him down here.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Kevin Phillips? Intriguing...
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Kevin Phillips as a player coach would be great, can score many goals in the prem let alone league 2. Plus he could teach our boys a thing or two.

We can all dream right? :lol:
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

That would be incredible. Player/manager for a year. Wow.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Would not be to quick to jump for a name like Kevin Phillips,Lincoln had stars in there eyes over the ex-England striker Chris Sutton who steered them full on towards the conference,just a bit of a warning in there.

Not saying Kevin phillips would do the same to us,however if he was still able to play,two roles filled in one,a buy one get one free,should suit us down to the ground.
Formerly known as forevertufc
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

You'd to think that he probably doesn't have coaching badges yet, so might be a good move for him to be player/coach and get those badges, as long as he was working with/under a proper 'manager'. All depends on budget, of course.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

forevertufc wrote:Would not be to quick to jump for a name like Kevin Phillips,Lincoln had stars in there eyes over the ex-England striker Chris Sutton who steered them full on towards the conference,just a bit of a warning in there.

Not saying Kevin phillips would do the same to us,however if he was still able to play,two roles filled in one,a buy one get one free,should suit us down to the ground.
I think player manager would may be to much for him to do. But then paul dickov did it at oldham and seemed to do ok.
Would rather see him as a player coach but we would never be able to afford him and a manager on top of that :(
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Him under an expeirianced manager could be interesting. Though I'd say it would be abit out of our budget.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Where the heck have they got Kevin Phillips' name from? I couldn't see him coming down here on a player-coach deal. He can still do a job in the Championship as a player and I'm sure there will be clubs at that level who could throw in a coaching deal with that. Surely the only way he'd even consider us is if we offered him the job as manager, but then the board apparently want an experienced name. Non-starter for me, but interesting just to be linked with him.
Last edited by tommyg on 31 May 2011, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Player/coach would be perfect fit!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

tommyg wrote:Where the heck have they got Kevin Phillips' name from? I couldn't see him coming down here on a player-coach deal. He can still do a job in the Championship as a player and Im sure there will be clubs at that level who could throw in a coaching deal with that. Surely the only way he'd even consider us is if we offered him the job as manager, but then the board apparently want an experienced name. Non-starter for me, but interesting just to be linked with him.
He likes the sea side maybe? :whistle:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

tommyg wrote:Where the heck have they got Kevin Phillips' name from? I couldn't see him coming down here on a player-coach deal. He can still do a job in the Championship as a player and Im sure there will be clubs at that level who could throw in a coaching deal with that. Surely the only way he'd even consider us is if we offered him the job as manager, but then the board apparently want an experienced name. Non-starter for me, but interesting just to be linked with him.
According to the Herald, the board are considering an experienced Manager with a player/coach .... Rioch and Phillips sounds pretty good to me.

As for money, I doubt that would be any sort of motivation for Phillips .... but really I don't see that as a major factor with any ex Prem player these days as they have surely amassed such a wealth that they really shouldn't need to have to worry about it ever again.