Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Agree fully with Matt. He's a footballer, not so much a work horse and you need a blend. He was the difference against Shrewsbury, even though he didn't score he did everything else but. I prefer to watch good footballers opposed to folk who 'work hard' first and foremost. Would love to see Tomlin return next season, more so than Robinson in all honesty.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Agree with the description of Tomlin, he is a 'Berbatov' type. And good teams can afford to have players that turn it on in spurts and then disappear. But League 2 sides generally can't afford that luxury. Tomlin was immense in the Play-Off semi (both legs), but had several quiet games in the lead up to that match. Carayol got criticised on this very board for only performing when the mood and circumstances benefitted him. Personally, i'd choose a player like Benyon everytime over a Tomlin (just for you that Matt). A player with output and a great work ethic. Not only threatening when we have the ball, but chasing defenders when we don't. If the rumour that Swindon were offering him back for £10k is accurate, i'll trust Nicky Forster to do the right thing...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Yep, Id go for that too, but only as long as we get a 6 foot plus striking partner that will nod down crosses for him :)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Fletch wrote:Yep, Id go for that too, but only as long as we get a 6 foot plus striking partner that will nod down crosses for him :)
That would work. :-D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

premierleaguegull wrote:Ivar Ingamarsson has been released by Reading. Injury prone, and pie in the sky maybe but it would be nice to have him back.
Maybe not as "pie in the sky" as you might think....

Should former Royals striker Nicky Forster land the manager s job at Torquay United this summer, then don t be surprised if Ingimarsson goes back to Plainmoor and the club where it all started for him.

Taken from this Reading news site (about half way down)....

http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/foo ... f_the_best

A Forster/Ingimarsson combo would be ok by me.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Would be a good signing but would probably have to take a hefty pay cut for it to happen (IF Forster took over)
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

if we get ingemarsson it would soften the blow of losing branno and another experienced defender to help ellis and robbo
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

As much as I love Branstonbauer, he's not in Ivar's league. Ingimarsson if fit would be the best centre half in League 2 even at 33 years of age. Rolls Royce.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Tomlin puts more 'work' in than Berbatov, he does chase things and lost causes especially if he's having a half decent game. You need a mixture of the two types. The skill and flair of Tomlin, with the energy of Kee, for example. Too many Tomlin's and you defend with about 5 men and won't win the ball back, too many Kee's and the final ball will end up more on the beach than the strikers foot/head.

In fact Tomlin's delivery and set up work around the box was outstanding in the playoffs, unsure as to why he wasn't the one playing wide in all honesty. Think he's good enough to play either side and be effective. I suppose maybe he went for the safer option of the 2 more 'hard working' players but I think with 4 forwards you can have 1 of the luxury players and wide and we'd probably create more. In fairness to Kee he'd probably been better suited through the middle with Tomlin wide.

Either way I'd definitely like to see him return next season. Can get us 10 goals and will set up stacks.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Ben Pringle to Rotherham. (free)
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Yellow4life wrote:Ben Pringle to Rotherham. (free)
Good signing, shame he didn't come back here.

And on the Tomlin issue, I still prefer Benyon to him for the reasons stated by Fonda.

Ingimarsson would be a tidy signing though :keepie: .
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

I know there isn't much interest in him but supposidly Pringle is signing for Rotherham:

http://www.derby.vitalfootball.co.uk/ar ... p?a=243561
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Anyone else sensing some deja-vu?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm sure I've seen you say that before................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Anyone else sensing somd deja-vu?!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843