skybet next manager odds

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

You're right hector. There aren't many experienced managers out there at our level that inspire confidence. Maybe we would be better off employing a Forster or Hargreaves and run with it? It may be better than going for someone from the regurgitated unemployed managers list.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hector wrote:How much truth there is in any of this is unclear. Forster perhaps offers more than say, Hargreaves. Also, not being known to the players, he would not have that difficult job of changing from mate to boss that Hargreaves would have.

Forster's surge up the betting odds may have more to do with the chat about him on here and maybe even he has been swayed by that by withdrawing his interest in Hayes job.

But the looking at the odds for the Cardiff job, at the moment Mark Robins is 2/5. It seems a strange one to me. For a club with Premiership ambtions, Robins, to me, would not have done enough to show he was ready for that sort of job.

In fact looking on the list for Cardiff and Rochdale and us, there does not seem to be a plethora of good candidates around.
it may suprise you but not me.

having witnessed what hes done at barnsley and rotherham before that, i could see him at cardiff.

hes ambitious, has good contacts (manure and city for a start) and can work with little money.

cardiff could do worse!!

as for us - have a few quid on forster...... ;-)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

agree with supernickywroe about robins. My mate is a tyke and i,ve been to many games at oakwell under robins. This guy is going places although i do rate Keith Hill who is now at Barnsley.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

westbaygull wrote: Chance for me to do a bit of name dropping (and show my age) but I knew Nicky in his original Brentford days and he was an absolutely lovely, lovely man. From what I've read over the last few months on the Bees forum, he hasn't changed and is still a sociable, charismatic, calm, intelligent person. Much like myself really :whistle:

Relax, F'reve, imagine PB but with charm..... :clap:
Its ok jane,am relaxed having a bit of a joke there,i was imagining a continuation of Paul "i am 10 matchs unbeaten,young ambitiuos and want a bigger club,anyone will do even a few more quid than Torquay that cant be hard" Buckle.

The more i read,listen,hear about this guy the more i want Forster as our new manager,"Nickey Forsters yellow army"yep got a good feeling about this.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I see Paul Trollope is now favourite with Victor Chandler. No longer Chris Hargreaves.

http://www.victorchandler.com/vcbet/en- ... /6110141/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Originally I was firmly in the Hargreaves camp, but the more this situation has unfolded the more keen I am for Forster to get the gig.

He has the right amount of experience - it was highly unlikely we were ever going to attract someone with hundreds of games managerial experience, and we are all rightly nervous of bringing in someone with none. Forster has a happy medium - still cutting his teeth enough that he'd be interested in us, whilst having managed enough to prove he can do the job. Let's be fair, Brentford are the sort of side you'd expect to be midtable in league 1 normally with the odd cup run thrown in. Forster achieved that so has already proved he can deliver.

He's ambitious - not like Buckle hopefully, but his comments about the H&Y job are telling. He basically stated that he was more interested in us as he wants to push for promotion, rather than simply play for survival at H&Y. my fear if we had appointed someone who had links to the Bateson era - so Trollope or Hill - may have been too keen to "merely survive". Forster seems to see us as a realistic challenger, and would look to build on that. Reduced budget or not, no settling for mediocrity.

He has good contacts - been around a bit, but at the right level. Compare him to Kevin Phillips say, how much in depth knowledge would he have on leagues 1 and 2? Very little. Nicky Forster knows what it takes at this level, knows a lot of people at the right levels in clubs and would hopefully make use of those contacts.

Has recent experience - up until very recently he was in the running for the Brentford job. He would probably have developed a list of potential targets had he got the permanent gig. Some of those would now be off the table in terms of coming to us, but some may not be. For example, there may be some players he'd identified as maybe good enough for League 1, certainly good enough for league 2. Ideal for us then! Whilst PB was preparing his Rovers shopping list, I bet Forster was preparing a wish list too. We could probably take some names off that.

And above all, "Nicky Forster's Yellow Army" has a great ring too it! Fingers crossed that he's the man for us.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Really hoping it's Forster I know nothing about him but he seems to have brought a little excitement and positivity back to this forum.
I'm hoping we don't have to wait too much longer I need to teach my girl the new managers name pronto, she's getting impatient. :)
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Yes, Jeff, whatever happens with regards to the new manager, he must have four syllables in his name...it's one thing I will never forgive Paul Buck-le for - you can't go calling him Pauly ;-)

That rules out Paul Troll-ope and Chris Hargreaves, although happy with Chris-sy Har-greaves.

Forster for me, failing that Russell plus someone experienced as mentor. (Might be needed with Forster anyway)
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Apparently the board will be drawing up a shortlist over the next few days, and will then do more interviews and appoint the new man in 7-10days according to the HE. Is it me or are they really dragging their heals on this? Pre season is under a month away, and players like Branston and those who have been released that are any good will have had contract offers before we even have a new man in place. Considering that those at the club new weeks before Buckle left, surely something more decisive could have been put in place.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Mav wrote:Apparently the board will be drawing up a shortlist over the next few days, and will then do more interviews and appoint the new man in 7-10days according to the HE. Is it me or are they really dragging their heals on this? Pre season is under a month away, and players like Branston and those who have been released that are any good will have had contract offers before we even have a new man in place. Considering that those at the club new weeks before Buckle left, surely something more decisive could have been put in place.

7 - 10 days?

YOU ARE HAVING A BUBBLE!

Say goodbye to Branno, Bevs, Stanley, Robinson, Tomlin, Oastler then.

Can you imagine what players will be left available after 10 days??? - I can - the ones nobody else wanted.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

So with Bevan's rumoured exit does this open the door for David James as player/coach? Just need to wait for QPR to sack Warnock so he can come in as the experienced head. :-D
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
smithy86
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branno

Post by smithy86 »

Paul Sturrock been bet into 5-1 third fav!! please god no!
torquayrover
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: billy kee

Post by torquayrover »

smithy86 wrote:Paul Sturrock been bet into 5-1 third fav!! please god no!
He said hes not intrested :P
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

He's gone up quite abit. Forsters 6/1 now!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

He's gone up quite abit. Forsters 6/1 now!