Southend United fan in peace

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Don't think I'd be too disappointed with Sturrock, personally. Experienced head to steady the ship that currently seems like it's rocking.

He's taken Argyle and Swindon out of League 2, and won 5 promotions overall in his managerial career. He has a win rate of 40% over 700+ games, which is pretty good going, in my book.

Even if you don't like him, you can't really deny he's done a good job. If it did happen, I don't see it being something long term.

However, as has been said, I doubt we'll take someone from another club, as much as I'd want it to happen on this occasion.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

As said, we'll not pay compensation to another club, and he's already at a club with greater short-term potential than ours. Yes, they've had serious issues in recent times, but their support base is such that if everyone else there does their jobs properly (and they seem to be, Sturrock included), they'll be back on their feet pretty soon.

Personally, i've always found his teams to be effective but generally lacking in excitement. It sounds stupid to say it but even though i think he'd (theoretically) do a reasonable job for us, his recruitment wouldn't overly excite me.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:I'm sure they were Dave, but that is, sort of, irrelevant. They, as all sides, are in this division on merit and, the squad/staff etc which they have now. As a collective at present, they are not in any danger of relegation, but nor are they among the favourites to go up. I don't mean to pay them a dis-service, they are a perfectly adequate L2 club at present, and is precisely nothing wrong with that.

Matt.

You called them a "nothing club", that's what I was referring to. I wasn't denying they're rightfully a League Two club now, but I'd say they're far from a nothing club as their recent history shows. Your post could have been mistaken for a kind of Cobblers opinion ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No no, I meant a nothing club on terms of their final league position. I'm so much as they aren't going up and they aren't going down.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Sturrock really would worry me in one way and reassure me in another. He was ill at Plymouth. At times he looked very ill and you wonder what impact it had on him. Has he recovered or is he still unwell? Is he up to it? Although saying that he has done a reasonable job at Southend this year. He would not be the first man to manage Plymouth, Southend & Torquay either!!
Yet he probably has the contacts to build a competent side because increasingly that is all I am hoping for next year. I have already given up on building on this season and going for promotion. Staying in the league is what is worrying me because of the way things have been allowed to unravel.
matt1
Trialist
Trialist

Post by matt1 »

Sufc fan returning in peace.

I just wanted to say Paul Sturrock is ruumoured to be on the verge of quitting us. That's what's being said. our end.

So the chances of coming to you might be increasing on the quiet.

It appears he's not happy at being told to sell players and Kane Ferdinand looks like hes West Ham Bound and Blair Sturrock hasn't commited to us as yet.

Has Paul Sturrock's name cropped up more since I last posted.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

matt1 wrote:Sufc fan returning in peace.

I just wanted to say Paul Sturrock is ruumoured to be on the verge of quitting us. That's what's being said. our end.

So the chances of coming to you might be increasing on the quiet.

It appears he's not happy at being told to sell players and Kane Ferdinand looks like hes West Ham Bound and Blair Sturrock hasn't commited to us as yet.

Has Paul Sturrock's name cropped up more since I last posted.
That's an interesting development!

Paul Sturrock is not on our shortlist BUT Simon Baker (our Chairman) did make a somewhat surprising statement I thought in that he said that applications would still be invited throughout the rest of this week .... which seems a little odd given that the shortlist had been drawn up.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

If only there were a thread which contained all the names of those on THE SHORTLIST...

Matt.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

This is the bit I was referring to in my post above - in today's Herald Express ...

United chairman Simon Baker stressed that he does not rule out extending the shortlist if another strong contender applies this week.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

How on earth can the club be struggling with something this simple?

You invite applications and give a set of requirements: Written apps by post, addressed to the Chairman, to include covering letter and CV. Closing date 07/06/2011.

Then you whittle down the apps, write to all applicants informing them of their success or otherwise and giving them a time, date, location and dress code for interview.

The candidate who comes off best is awarded the job, those who were unsuccessful are informed by phone call giving reasons and a follow up letter thanking them for their interest and inviting them to apply again in future.

It's not fecking tough, the re is no need to alter the shortlist once the closing date has passed. If there is someone you want and they haven't applied, then approach them, ask the question, don't make like a 6 year old with a crush and send out obscure invitations in the hope that the mystery man will know to apply!

GRRRRRRRR, Just. So. Angry.

Matt.