New manager poll

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Who is your choice of next manager?

Alex Russell
1%
Chris Hargreaves
4%
Nicky Forster
26%
Dean Holdsworth
1%
Ian McParland
No votes
John Hughes
37%
Lee Bullen
No votes
Forster + Hargreaves/Russell
20%
Hughes + Bullen
9%
Any other combination of the above (comment below!!)
2%

Total votes: 94

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Bearne1 wrote:Hargreaves all the way for me, seems to have so much passion for TUFC and it is so good to see. Obviously not got any managerial expertise but I think we should give him a shot. He gets my vote.

'Sadly I cannot be there but I will be wearing a T.U.F.C shirt, the flag will be flying at the shop, and my fingers will be crossed that the cup is lifted.'
Why, for goodness sake? We all have a passion for TUFC but it does not makes us suitable managers. CH is too nice a bloke and too matey with the players to command authority. You point out he has no managerial expertise and simply think risking our whole club's future by 'giving hima shot' is worth it because he said he would fly a TUFC flag at his shop.

Let us just hope that none of the directors feel as easily pleased as you.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

While I agree with your surmising that Jesus is not the man for the job, he is not perhaps quite such a daft suggestion as it may seem prima facie.
He has his badges, qualifying him as a coach, so, theoretically at least, he is equally as qualified as any other men on the list (more so than Gareth Southgate upon his appointment with Middlesborough, although he was the single worst manager in football history, so perhaps not the best example).
Further, he has vast experience in the world of modern professional football, which is undoubtedly evolving so fast as to render any experience greater than, say, two years old, almost wholly irrelevant.
He is clearly of sufficient mental capacity to succeed as a manager.
He knows the club, he commands respect from the board and his fellow professionals.
He is popular with the fans, an element not to be underestimated (I'd wager there will be more chants of "Chris Hargreaves Yellow Army" in a single match than there was of the corresponding song during the stewardship of PB).

While I do not doubt that many if not all of the other candidates would have these attributes too, espressio unius est non exclusio alterius.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:While I agree with your surmising that Jesus is not the man for the job, he is not perhaps quite such a daft suggestion as it may seem prima facie.
He has his badges, qualifying him as a coach, so, theoretically at least, he is equally as qualified as any other men on the list (more so than Gareth Southgate upon his appointment with Middlesborough, although he was the single worst manager in football history, so perhaps not the best example).
Further, he has vast experience in the world of modern professional football, which is undoubtedly evolving so fast as to render any experience greater than, say, two years old, almost wholly irrelevant.
He is clearly of sufficient mental capacity to succeed as a manager.
He knows the club, he commands respect from the board and his fellow professionals.
He is popular with the fans, an element not to be underestimated (I'd wager there will be more chants of "Chris Hargreaves Yellow Army" in a single match than there was of the corresponding song during the stewardship of PB).

While I do not doubt that many if not all of the other candidates would have these attributes too, espressio unius est non exclusio alterius.

Matt.

Wes Saunders was also popular with the fans until he becamse manager.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

yellowforever wrote:Can i just say, talking to a hibs supporting mate, he's clearly not a fan of Hughes. Poor man-management and hasn't got a great eye for signing a player.

Also, he tends to bring Darryl Duffy everywhere he goes, and he's a free agent if i remember correctly? Doubt we could afford him however.
You can't read too much into the views of one fan. You can find plenty of Man Utd fans who don't rate Ferguson!

All that matters is results, he took Falkirk into the SPL for the first time in their history and kept them there for 4 years and took them to the cup final and into Europe. Then he took Hibs into Europe by finishing 4th. All of this playing a style of football that was very easy on the eye.

It's a no-brainer for me.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

usagullmichigan wrote:Hughes for me. That would be a real coup and would firmly kick Buckle in the face. He could bring a lot of Scottish talent in. Forster is mt 2nd pick. But Hughes 100%
i think you'll find archie gemmill, dalglish and strachan have retired :lol:

i'm warming to hughes having read up about him, but wouldn't be unhappy if forster got the nod.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by loyalgull »

I went for Forster. I've wanted him since his name was first mentioned. Can anyone tell me though, why he didn't get the Brentford job full time? I thought he did a good job there...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be honest Loyalgull,in all the news reports i have seen,i have not read or even heard of any reason given for Forster not getting the Brentford job,have a feeling it is likey to do with his lack of experience,Brentford as we know are in much better position than Torquay,so they probaly see a candidate with greater experience as the way forward.

As i stated yesterday,to me Nicky Forster fits the bill of where our club is at this time ,if he is in the running of course,many have gone starry eyed over Hughes,this has been said elsewhere i know,but it is true things like wage demands and player budget's would not be disscused until interview,yes Hughes may well have a good idea what to expect from our club,however have afeeling that if he is interviewed for the job,our club will not be able to match the ambitions of someone like Hughes.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Thanks Hector, I write all that, at an unfeasibly late hour and I awake upon the morn to find that is your reply.

Was I not clear when I ended my piece with 'the inclusion of one is not to the exclusion of another'?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Nicky forster for me. Hughes will not be anywhere near happy with the budget the club will set for him and I worry about his knowledge of the lower leagues of English football.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

loyalgull wrote:I went for Forster. I've wanted him since his name was first mentioned. Can anyone tell me though, why he didn't get the Brentford job full time? I thought he did a good job there...
got a few mates who hold season tickets at brentford, and general opinion amongst the fans and players was that of disappointment that he wasn't given the full time gig. seems the club are expecting to be up in the playoffs this year, and didn't think forster had the experience to get them there. seems a bit harsh, but may be to our advantage.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Ferriss Bueller's Day Off, National Lampoon's Vacation, Weird Science, The Breaskfast Club, Trains Planes and Automobiles, Uncle Buck...The list is endless. John Hughes is a genius. But sadly deceased, so surprised to see his name amongst the applicants.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Don't forget the Home Alone films too!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fonda wrote:Ferriss Bueller's Day Off, National Lampoon's Vacation, Weird Science, The Breaskfast Club, Trains Planes and Automobiles, Uncle Buck...The list is endless. John Hughes is a genius. But sadly deceased, so surprised to see his name amongst the applicants.
You feeling alright Shane :) ,watched Hot Fuzz last night despite that poxy Rovers shirt,made i laugh.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Jerry wrote: You can't read too much into the views of one fan. You can find plenty of Man Utd fans who don't rate Ferguson!

All that matters is results, he took Falkirk into the SPL for the first time in their history and kept them there for 4 years and took them to the cup final and into Europe. Then he took Hibs into Europe by finishing 4th. All of this playing a style of football that was very easy on the eye.

It's a no-brainer for me.
Not sure i agree that all that matters is results. The reason i maintain Buckle isn't the manager he thinks he is is because the budget he was given to work with in the BSP years was clearly very competetive. His achievement of getting us promoted was not the work of a miracle worker - it was the work of a manager with a healthy budget.

The results acheived are ultimately the most important stat, but there are reasons other than being a managerial genius that they can be achieved.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Thanks Hector, I write all that, at an unfeasibly late hour and I awake upon the morn to find that is your reply.

Was I not clear when I ended my piece with 'the inclusion of one is not to the exclusion of another'?

Matt.
You mentioned that Hargreaves' popularity as if it was soemthing to consider when appointing a manager as you mentioned it was something 'not to be under-estimated'.

My point is that his popularity should not even come into it. Being popular might buy you a bit of credibility for a few weeks but it would soon vanish with players he does not pick and with supporters watching a losing team.

Popularity of candidates is the last thing that should be considered.