The Shortlist

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

MarineGull707 wrote:Can we now assume that the shortlist the Herald Express printed earlier on in the week was pretty wrong? More names seem to keep appearing that wasn't on that list! Seems to me they are guessing just as much as everyone else!
For the first time in today's paper they seem pretty confident in asserting the SIX MAN shortlist ....

"Butterworth is one of a six-man shortlist, which is also thought to include ex-Mansfield boss David Holdsworth, former Gulls midfielders Alex Russell and Chris Hargreaves, Scot John Hughes (Falkirk, Hibernian) and Nicky Forster."

In other words, the likes of Ian McParland and Lee Bullen appear to have never made the shortlist. That said though, my instinct tells me that they may have cocked up in including Butterworth as I reckon it's Baraclough!!

So, for me at least the TOP SIX are:

Baraclough
Forster
Hargreaves
Holdsworth
Hughes
Russell

Personally I would be happy with any of Baraclough, Forster or Hughes .... less so with the others for the top job though. Although I would be more than happy to see the likes of Aggy or Greavsie employed in some capacity at Plainmoor.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
should have gone to specsavers christine............... :Oops: =D
I did :lol:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Forster remains my preferred choice. Barraclough represents an interesting alternative. I'm not as enamoured by the idea of Hughes as some are. The others shouldn't even be short-listed for the managers position.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Why are you not encouraged by the idea of Hughes becoming our manager? He has far more managerial experience than Forster, he has proven that he is a good manager by guiding Falkirk into the Scottish Premier League and to the Scottish Cup Final. Whilst at Hibernian Hughes managed to secure a fourth place finish in the SPL which resulted in Europa League qualification. A pretty good CV if you ask me.

Whilst he was at Falkirk he was assistant to Owen Coyle for a time so I would imagine that securing some loanees from Bolton would be somewhat likely if they remained in touch. For me there is no doubt, it has to be John Hughes.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

There is a possibility those 'success's' weren't principally down to him. Indeed, there have been suggestions they weren't. If he was as good 'in the flesh' as he appears on paper, he wouldn't be looking to move to the other end of the country for a job in League 2. Something about his application just doesn't fit comfortably.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Looking at that shortlist it doesn't really look too bad and has given me confidence for the new season. I still would be worried if Forster got it but Hughes or Baraclough would be superb. Just hope the shortlist is accurate!
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

I have just been chatting with someone I know who is a Hibs season ticket holder, when I mentioned John Hughes, after he finished laughing so hard and got up off the floor he suggested that we should avoid him at all costs. In his opinion Hibs are still not back on their feet after he managed to completly screw them up and he left several seasons back. From his description, the guy sounds like another Paul Buckle - but worse. Apparently they had the longest bad run in the clubs history under him, very bull headed and stubborn.

Here's hoping the board have picked Nicky Forster
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Mav wrote:I have just been chatting with someone I know who is a Hibs season ticket holder, when I mentioned John Hughes, after he finished laughing so hard and got up off the floor he suggested that we should avoid him at all costs. In his opinion Hibs are still not back on their feet after he managed to completly screw them up and he left several seasons back. From his description, the guy sounds like another Paul Buckle - but worse. Apparently they had the longest bad run in the clubs history under him, very bull headed and stubborn.

Here's hoping the board have picked Nicky Forster
I was also talking to a Hibs fan and he said the exact same thing. He's not as good as he sounds.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Fonda wrote:There is a possibility those 'success's' weren't principally down to him. Indeed, there have been suggestions they weren't. If he was as good 'in the flesh' as he appears on paper, he wouldn't be looking to move to the other end of the country for a job in League 2. Something about his application just doesn't fit comfortably.
Could be that he is just fed up with wearing a kilt, & he wants to be closer to the Buckfast Tonic Wine production centre! :) :clap: :lol:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

What a lot of football fans know you can fit on the back of a pack of Swan Vestas. You can ask 10 different ones you'll get 10 different answers. Hughes tenure at Hibs ended really disappointingly, there's no doubt about that and it was right for them to part ways. I'd be interested to know if those fans thought he wasn't very good last summer after Hibs had just finished 4th?

Injuries (which i know they had plenty of), suspensions, players leaving (which they also had, Stokes being a major one), few signings that don't quite work out and the fine line between success and failure can be breached. Falkirk, promoted, 4 seasons safe, cup final, Hibs 4th, then a bad year. So 6 good years as a manager 1 bad. Doesn't look a bad strike rate to me.

From these extra names we see on this ever growing longlist, Baraclough obviously trying to make his way as a manager, don't want to say he failed at Scunny because keeping them up was a thankless task, and one which their board weren't fussed about either. I know this for a fact because they're 3 year leniancy on having a terrace tenure was over and the cost for them to rebuild that stand + loss of revenue would have absolutely killed them. Sacked i think to appease fans to make it seem like they were 'having a go' of staying up. Tough job to get first up really, so he'd be worth another go somewhere else.

Butterworth can safely say i know absolutely nothing about, Sampson would not be my preferred choice at all. When managers fail at clubs like Northampton, Bradford, Shrewsbury etc at this level that's a true sign of a managers ability, not if they fail to keep Scunthorpe up in the Championship, but if you fail at one of the League 2 bigger boys with the budgets etc they have there must be something seriously wrong there.

I'm still in the John Hughes camp, with Forster as my 2nd choice.
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

With the pending demise of Rushden and Diamonds, could we do worse than give Justin Edinburgh a look?

Plays good attacking football on the deck, has good contacts within the game, and more importantly knows how to work within a budget (Rushden's problems aren't down to him.)

Just a thought.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

Didn't John Hughes write the film "Uncle Buck"? Maybe it was actually the Paul Buckle life story?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

What is it people like about Ian Baraclough? I know little of him, other than his dismal spell at Scunthorpe...so dismal in fact they sacked him rather quickly to take Alan Knill from Bury instead. What makes people think he would be ok here? my gut instinct is no!
MarineGull707
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MarineGull707 »

From what I know about Barraclough I believe he was assistant at scunny for a few years before getting the top job! They already looked doomed when he took over, so reckon he's worth another crack. Young manager played all through the lower leagues sounds like buckle when he joined. Wouldn't be to disappointed with Barraclough!
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

royalgull wrote: I'd be interested to know if those fans thought he wasn't very good last summer after Hibs had just finished 4th?
Actually, at the time they moaned like hell, despite finishing 4th is win/loss ratio was pretty average at best, they complained about the style of football. Most importantly they played hearts 4 times that season, they drew two and lost two. If anybody knows anything about scottish football, those results tell all you need to know