Alex Russell to return as Player/Coach ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Alex Russell to return as Player/Coach ?

Post by CP Gull »

... it seems there is a possibility that this may happen.

I had heard this morning that he may be coming back to us in that capacity - but that was supposedly to work with Ian Baraclough!!!

It appears from this piece in tomorrow's WMN though that he may still end up working with the new man ...

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Grecian-su ... story.html
Last edited by CP Gull on 13 Jun 2011, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Cheers for that CP but we all know what happens with speculation! Would be great to get Russell back but for now i'm just getting my head round the Martin Ling thing.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Ling's a brave man to agree to this. Perhaps he was the only one prepared to have his 'assistant' chosen for him? A fans favourite in the number 2 position just adds more pressure to the top man. As soon as we suffer a run of poor results there will be calls for Aggy's promotion...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by mlw »

Much as many of us would love to see Alex Russell back at Plainmoor it is more important that the new manager has somebody he is comfortable with rather than someone foisted on him by the club. If that person is Russell thats great - if he prefers his own man then we should accept that. Its the norm these days that the incoming manager picks his own people - usually those they have worked with before.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Yes please Aggy!

Aside from the fact that he could still justify some time on the pitch (Yeovil saw fit to sign him 5 months ago), Alex must surely have skills and nous to improve our squad in a coaching capacity. Young Eunan, for instance, could learn a lot about the art of the central midfielder, and accelerate his already impressive development.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Andovergull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee mansell

Post by Andovergull »

A senior pro like Aggy or Hargreaves can only benefit the team and the youngsters
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

No way.......won't happen.

He's sure to bring his own team in.
....aka jmgull.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

jocktheknife wrote:No way.......won't happen.

He's sure to bring his own team in.

and so he should.

if he has taken the job and agreed to that then he must be mad.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
and so he should.

if he has taken the job and agreed to that then he must be mad.
Might explain why he got it though.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote: Might explain why he got it though.
it might shane. but he'd still be mad! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I wouldn't rule it out.

Let's face it, at the very beginning the Board (Bill Phillips I believe) gave an interview on the BBC and he stated that ideally they would like an experienced Manager with perhaps a Player/Coach if they could afford it. Of course if that is the only option available to him (Ling) he may have his own man in mind, but as others have suggested a lot will depend on whether Aggy as Player/Coach was "part of the deal".
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Much as I'd like to see Aggy return to the club at some point in the future in some ways I hope this doesn't happen for ML's sake. Having an assistant forced upon you, someone who you've never worked with before is a massive gamble. As Fonda pointed out a few dodgy results and some fans may be calling for AR to replace him if this happens. I'd much rather Ling brought in an assistant of his own choosing. I would be surprised if the board made this a condition of the offer as there is a big risk it might not work out. If ML took the job and it was a condition perhaps it suggests how badly he needed a job... but we'll wait and see. Although rated by Yeovil I don't really know how much AR will have left in his legs. A lot of time has passed since his glory days here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Just been informed by a very good source that Aggy will be Player Coach, but I'm sure this story will all come out tomorrow.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'd heard similar myself, which is what I was alluding too on the Martin Ling thread when I said that his backroom staff might bring some positives
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Just been informed by a very good source that Aggy will be Player Coach, but I'm sure this story will all come out tomorrow.

If this is the case, im scared thats why Ling got the job!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!