Torquay Summer Transfers Thread INs and OUTs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

See Mark Byrne has been released from Notts Forrest, was quietly impressed with him at Barnet and would love him down here.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Much like a recently departed Manager of ours, I expect Martin Ling to initially go after one or two familiar faces from his previous clubs. For that reason I reckon he may target the likes of Brian Saah (a highly rated centre half) and Adam Miller (midfield playmaker) who are available at Cambridge - simply because they can no longer afford them within their vastly reduced budget. Cambridge are also looking to offload one of the two keepers on their books, the experienced Simon Brown and the former Histon keeper Danny Naisbett so one of them might be an option too.

I also think Ryan Jarvis (striker) who has been released by Leyton Orient and played under Ling might well come into his thoughts.
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

mcgleish even at his age would be good for us as a target man and a positive role model and experienced at this level maybe some coaching too.
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

CP Gull wrote:Much like a recently departed Manager of ours, I expect Martin Ling to initially go after one or two familiar faces from his previous clubs. For that reason I reckon he may target the likes of Brian Saah (a highly rated centre half) and Adam Miller (midfield playmaker) who are available at Cambridge - simply because they can no longer afford them within their vastly reduced budget. Cambridge are also looking to offload one of the two keepers on their books, the experienced Simon Brown and the former Histon keeper Danny Naisbett so one of them might be an option too.

I also think Ryan Jarvis (striker) who has been released by Leyton Orient and played under Ling might well come into his thoughts.
I like the thought of Saah, Miller, and certainly Jarvis who should be useful in league 2, add to that Alex Russell as player coach and our squad looks a little more healthy. :scarf:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

For a minute I thought you were talking about the ex-Birmingham manager!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Could you imagine Miller, Manse and Russell in midfield? That would be awesome!
Luke.

TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Jeff wrote: Didn't the story go that we contacted Norwich to try and sign Ryan Jarvis, but were told he was off somewhere else and would we like his brother instead? To which we agreed, and then they said would we like Halliday as well and we signed him too - even though our "staff" had no idea who he was, where he played or anything. Summed up the Lubos/Roberts season really.

In response to the post about Orient players, as far as I'm aware McGleish and Jarvis were signed post-Ling. Brown and Beautyman are young players with minimal experience, whether they were on the books under Ling I'm not so sure.

I think the thing with Ling is that he has a variety of contacts and developed some kind of scouting network. I guess he'll know who he wants to bring in, and it'll be hard to second guess.

In response to rjc70, be interested to see whether the predicition of Billy Bodin coming in comes true. I only say this as I signed him on Football Manager and he did a job!
Something like that if I remember correctly. Halliday was absolutely awful. Jarvis was too, but Halliday was certainly the worse of the two.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper

Post by yellowforever »

cambgull wrote:Could you imagine Miller, Manse and Russell in midfield? That would be awesome!
And O'Kane..? :whistle:

Don't know how good Miller is, he used to be alright i think?
Last edited by yellowforever on 14 Jun 2011, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

yellowforever wrote: And O'Kane..? :whistle:
Could you imagine Miller, O'Kane and Russell in midfield with Manse at right back? That would be awesome!

:-D
Luke.

yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper

Post by yellowforever »

Haha well amended ;-) Don't tell Manse about that idea though..
Brucie. 27/02/14
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

cambgull wrote: Could you imagine Miller, O'Kane and Russell in midfield with Manse at right back? That would be awesome!

:-D
That midfield would be dynamite with the ball. Not so sure how good it'd be without it though.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

That was quite embarrasing really, especially considering I've got O'Kane down as my favourite player!
Luke.

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Sounds like Joe Oastler to join us having been released from QPR, given Dinger's comments on .com. Very pleased about that. Very disciplined young pro who will only improve. Good to see young players sticking around. Danny also likely to stay, I would imagine.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Okay then, so based on his statement on the website, what are we looking at...he appears to want all 14 here at the end of last season to stay.

GK (2) - VACANT, VACANT

FB (4) - Mansell (for now), Nicholson, Rowe-Turner, VACANT

CB (4) - Ellis, Robertson, VACANT, VACANT (plus Palmer)

CM (4) - O'Kane, Oastler, Lathrope, VACANT

WING (4) - Stevens, Halpin, Macklin, VACANT

ST (4) - Kee, Zebroski, VACANT, VACANT (plus Yeoman, Spear)

Couple there who might not be close to L2 standard, but could still improve rapidly given their age. But I did like the latest part of his interview. Seems to know exactly what he wants, and might even have a Plan B or perhaps (shock, horror) Plan C!!

I'd suggest that as many as five of the VACANT spots might be for regular starters.

* Edited for accuracy - easy to forget some players ;-)
Last edited by AndyC on 15 Jun 2011, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

AndyC wrote:Okay then, so based on his statement on the website, what are we looking at...he appears to want all 14 here at the end of last season to stay.

GK (2) - VACANT, VACANT

FB (4) - Mansell (for now), Nicholson, Rowe-Turner, VACANT

CB (4) - Ellis, Robertson, Palmer, VACANT

CM (4) - O'Kane, Oastler, Lathrope, VACANT

WING (4) - Stevens, Halpin, VACANT, VACANT

ST (4) - Kee, Zebroski, Yeoman, VACANT

Couple there who might not be close to L2 standard, but could still improve rapidly given their age. But I did like the latest part of his interview. Seems to know exactly what he wants, and might even have a Plan B or perhaps (shock, horror) Plan C!!

I'd suggest that as many as five of the VACANT spots might be for regular starters.
hopefully, he's looking at mansell as the other CM, but then needs two right sided full backs. obviously manse (and Robbo) can cover there, but hopefully he'll be looking to play people in the right positions from the off. Essentials for me, are obviously a GK, commanding/experienced CB and CM, and left sided wide player. fortunately, we do have quite a bit of versatility in the squad, but we need a bit more quality and experience in some places.
Brady

I Wish I Was There