Alex Russell to return as Player/Coach ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I wouldn't put it past the board to put Danny stevens in there ;-)
The gulls are going up
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Don't see that this would be such a bad thing. As long as Ling wants him here.

If he does, not only do I think he'll still be a decent signing as a player but his experience and influence on some of our players would be great. Lathrope and O'Kane could definately learn from Aggy.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Are these the same "reliable sources" that have spent the last 2 weeks saying Hargreaves or Forster were imminently going to be unveiled as manager?

*Not aimed at anyone in particular, just fed up with all the misinformation! :@
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Who's to say this arrangement would be forced upon him.

Ling hasn't just come out of a job - his preferred people may already be employed elsewhere or are unwilling / unable to move down here (remember back room staff are older than players and therefore more likely to be settled with family).

He may have already met with Russell and they both feel they could work well together for all we know.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

gullno4 wrote:I wouldn't put it past the board to put Danny stevens in there ;-)

:O :O :O :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
highweekgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by highweekgull »

basil75 wrote:Who's to say this arrangement would be forced upon him.

Ling hasn't just come out of a job - his preferred people may already be employed elsewhere or are unwilling / unable to move down here (remember back room staff are older than players and therefore more likely to be settled with family).

He may have already met with Russell and they both feel they could work well together for all we know.
I agree - i just love all these people who have such exact knowledge without being involved in all the discussions or conversations

One manager might have wanted 3x as much or wanted to stay up in SCotland and commute, etc

I see this as a positive thing if we have a manager of experience, a player coach of Russell's calibre (who will keep the idiots who just want someone they know quiet) - that to me spells the right thing to the other players (who hopefully havent been listening to all the idiots on here) and will make them think "This is a set up that can achieve"

Getting it right psychologically is half the battle!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

highweekgull wrote: I agree - i just love all these people who have such exact knowledge without being involved in all the discussions or conversations

One manager might have wanted 3x as much or wanted to stay up in SCotland and commute, etc

I see this as a positive thing if we have a manager of experience, a player coach of Russell's calibre (who will keep the idiots who just want someone they know quiet) - that to me spells the right thing to the other players (who hopefully havent been listening to all the idiots on here) and will make them think "This is a set up that can achieve"

Getting it right psychologically is half the battle!
Can you not see that having a 'fans favourite' working directly under the manager might make things difficult? Ling has got off to a rocky start with some already. If we went through a difficult patch of results, the calls for Russell's promotion to the top job would be immediate and widespread. It adds pressure to an already under-pressure manager. I'd love to see Aggy back, and i'm sure the younger players would benefit from a player of his type, but it's not a move without risks.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

I agree it's not a move without risks, but then, if Ling did get off to a bad start and Russell was part of the team:

1) Would everyone see him as 100% blameless - he would, after all, be part of the losing management team - many may believe complete change is needed

2) He would go from completely inexperienced, to inexperience with his only small experience being of losing and bad management - can't see many who weren't backing him now backing him to step up in this scenario.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

North got no credit for what Bucks acheived. Likewise i doubt Russell would take any of the blame if Ling failed. Few give much praise criticism/praise to a number 2 either way.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Fonda wrote:North got no credit for what Bucks acheived. Likewise i doubt Russell would take any of the blame if Ling failed. Few give much praise criticism/praise to a number 2 either way.
Whilst this is absolutely true Fonda, I personally feel SN was critical to PB's success here and will be at Rovers too
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint