Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

2 right backs? - would be nice to have 1!! (Although Manse and Robertson have done well filling in there)

2 left wingers? - would be nice to have 1!!

In the whole time Buckle was in charge can you remember having a winger with a left foot at the club??
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Richinns wrote:2 right backs? - would be nice to have 1!! (Although Manse and Robertson have done well filling in there)

2 left wingers? - would be nice to have 1!!

In the whole time Buckle was in charge can you remember having a winger with a left foot at the club??
i think he said 4 wide players, so don't hold your breath !! :lol:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Thought I'd seen the back of Stevens.....
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

I too thought that article was very interesting. Certainly saying all the right things, and appears to be hitting the ground running. Good news about Oastler, and as much as Danny was decidely average last season, perhaps a little continuity in the squad isn't such a bad thing at this time.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I share the concerns about Ling's last club but am hopeful he can recreate his Orient form with the right no 2.

I actually believe that Shaun North was a major help for Buckle and that without him Buckle would have struggled. Wisely he has taken him with him to Rovers and expect them to be a formidible combination.

So this week's appointment is, I believe, just as important as last weeks!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

yellowsmiffy wrote:
As for his statement on the two players for every position etc i'm pleased with that. I assume he is looking to build a half decent team which will compete to a decent standard, whilst having good depth in the squad. I'm pretty sure that anywhere above the bottom 8 teams would be a real success in the boards eyes and is probably his target.

In my opinion we need:
2 Keepers
1 Right back
1 Centre back (Saah!!?)
1 Right Winger
2 Left Wingers (Surely Macklin will be shipped out somehow!?)
2 Strikers

Manse, Okane, Oastler and Lathrope means we are sorted for centre mids if we get Oastler to sign - unless Ling sees Manse as a RB, in which case we need an experienced CM.
Not sure if Zebs will be seen as a winger or striker. Zebs is the only decent winger at the club, and I think thats where we need to focus bringing in quality.
I'd like to think that is his aim too Smiffs!

Don't completely agree about your squad make-up there. Pretty sure Oastler was a CB at QPR, and whilst he can do a 'holding' role in midfield - it's something for emergencies for me. I hope he'll be considered a defender (though if he's bringing in an experienced head such as Saah, do we need 4 CB's?)
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Sunny
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: DANNY STEVENS

Post by Sunny »

Boom Boom wrote:Thought I'd seen the back of Stevens.....

Comments like this are not needed. If the new manager is going to convince Danny to stay then he has obviously seen him play and will hopefully get the best of out of him. I for one hope he does stay and with a few games under his belt we will see what a good player he actually is.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Sunny wrote:Comments like this are not needed. If the new manager is going to convince Danny to stay then he has obviously seen him play and will hopefully get the best of out of him. I for one hope he does stay and with a few games under his belt we will see what a good player he actually is.
Hey there Danny boy.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We've all seen how good he CAN be, we've also seen how ineffective he usually IS.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I think, and I'm prepared to be shot down in flames, that Danny Stevens could do a good job, given the chance. (Gets tin hat and flack jacket on) :devil:
Just a question but why has Boom Boom got Paul Buckle as his favorite player. :whistle: :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
crazyfool
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek 'The Dude'

Post by crazyfool »

Maybe Paul Buckle was his favourite player ... =Z

I would have been happy to see Danny move on. Sure he's had a few moments of brilliance, but way too inconsistent. Has Ling actually seen much of him?? He admitted in one of the interviews that he'd not seen much of Torquay prior to being given the manager position. Is he just trying to keep as many as the squad together and then just filling the gap?? For me this was time for Danny to be shipped out, but if Ling can get him performing then he's right and I'm wrong.
Last edited by crazyfool on 15 Jun 2011, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

diamondgirl wrote:
Just a question but why has Boom Boom got Paul Buckle as his favorite player. :whistle: :)

He was the biggest "player" in his time with us :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Southampton Gull wrote:He was the biggest "player" in his time with us :)
:lol: :scarf: :lol:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Would be nice to sign a proper right back and allow Mansell to play central midfield with Lathrope. We need another centre half, we need a proper number 1 goalkeeper ideally we'd sign 2 but I'd sooner go with 1 and get a loan if needs be if it meant we could sign another centre forward and a winger.

1 x RB
1x CB
1/2 x GK
1x attacking midfield/winger
1x CF

absolute minimum. That's providing Oastler, Stevens, O Kane and Zebroski are all here come August.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

He's said he wants 2 players for each position. The key is whether he sees Manse as a right back or as a centre mid. If he considers him to be a CM, then Oastler will be the only addition in the middle of the park.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"