When do we start to panic?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I'd probably think that the time to start panicking would be if we were halfway through pre season and not signed anyone, too many trialists making little impression and we go on a mini tour of East London! Hackney Marshes anyone?

Ling is different to Buckle. He won't be doing a trolley dash approach to signing players like Buckle (that's evident already) but I will judge him by the signings he makes, as and when they happen.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I like the idea of trials. But yeah, we can't go back Leroy days where we built our whole squad out of them, test a few promising ones in a friendly.

I think that Ling already has in mind who he wants and he's already offered them something, with some putting pen to paper this week.

That's me hoping.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Not sure how anyone can seriously support Torquay and not expect it to be a bit sh*t? Bit like going to see James Blunt live and then being annoyed because it's actually a ton of dog eggs.

We'll probably sign a load of naff players finish 20th job done. Standard. Nothing i can do about it.
heartygull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: chris hargreaves

Post by heartygull »

To be honest I havent seen many players that are in our budget that weve missed out on so far ( only exception was Stanley but he was going to follow PB anyway) - it really is an open market out there at the moment and one of ML's reasons for being signed on is that he will find some real potential using his network.

Be interesting to see if we tap into the Scottish market; weve had some great lads from up there but I dont know how many came direct? David Graham certainly did from Thistle but one of my other favourites Alan Welsh I think came from Milwall but played in Scotland before that.
Just a thought anyway.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

i don't think we're at the panic stage yet, but i would be disappointed if something hasn't happened by the end of the week. at least some news one way or another on existing players, Oastler, and maybe one or two new names on board, just to get things moving. i don't doubt that ML is out there trying to get things in place, but as we're not a Man Utd or Chelsea, what we're doing isn't splashed all across the tabloids, so we have to wait until deals are done before we hear anything. if all else fails, i'll happily come out of retirement and sign on, i'm a left sided midfielder, Dave's a GK, and i'm sure we could muster up a few more on here, so like i say, no need to panic YET ;-)
Brady

I Wish I Was There
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

regiment wrote:i don't think we're at the panic stage yet, but i would be disappointed if something hasn't happened by the end of the week. at least some news one way or another on existing players, Oastler, and maybe one or two new names on board, just to get things moving. i don't doubt that ML is out there trying to get things in place, but as we're not a Man Utd or Chelsea, what we're doing isn't splashed all across the tabloids, so we have to wait until deals are done before we hear anything. if all else fails, i'll happily come out of retirement and sign on,i'm a left sided midfielder, Dave's a GK, and i'm sure we could muster up a few more on here, so like i say, no need to panic YET ;-)
If you're not left footed, b*gger off! :@
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

cambgull wrote: If you're not left footed, b*gger off! :@
ha ha. i am left footed, so sign me now, or i'm going to rovers to play on the right wing !! :lol:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I would like to throw my hat in for Assistant Manager. My main quality - It seems I'm the only bugger that would accept the role!

I am also tactically aware enough to tell Kee is NOT a winger!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

we need to panic when we all get to the point that we cannot think of anything else we can write on this Forum
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I would have thought that M/L had a few players in mind before he was offered the job as he seems to have his ear to the ground about possible players available anyway even when out of work; however, a week has passed and there is still nothing. No rumours or links or anything. I hope he REALLY did have players in mind and we are about to see some unveiled as Gulls this week or next otherwise i will be a bit worried. I obviously don't want him to be signing naff players just to make the numbers up but we are short of a good few players and if nothing happens this week then he has just over a month to assemble a squad, make them gel together as best he can and get his style of playing across to them in a way they are comfortable and familiar with. In the meantime most other clubs in league 2 are nearly 2 months ahead of us in preparation. That is VERY concerning.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

andygullagain wrote: ; however, a week has passed and there is still nothing. No rumours or links or anything.
Well it's not as though nothing has been happening. Martin Ling has been up in London over the weekend, no doubt sounding out potential targets and todays Herald suggests that he also has been in talks with two players on his way back to Devon yesterday - one of which was almost certainly Brian Saah of Cambridge.

I think things are certainly starting to move but as we know from experience it's all about whether people are prepared to upsticks and move all the way down here - which is a major decision for anyone, particularly as there is often a young family involved.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote: Well it's not as though nothing has been happening. Martin Ling has been up in London over the weekend, no doubt sounding out potential targets and todays Herald suggests that he also has been in talks with two players on his way back to Devon yesterday - one of which was almost certainly Brian Saah of Cambridge.

I think things are certainly starting to move but as we know from experience it's all about whether people are prepared to upsticks and move all the way down here - which is a major decision for anyone, particularly as there is often a young family involved.
CP - Is this fact or speculation?

Useful signing if it bares fruit.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

andygullagain wrote:In the meantime most other clubs in league 2 are nearly 2 months ahead of us in preparation. That is VERY concerning.
Not exactly, most clubs were able to plan for next season about 5 weeks ago, which yes, is a big advantage on us, but look at the thread showing other clubs in our league and their in's and out's. It's not like they all have their squads planned, and consequently, there are a huge number of free players out there.

I understand there is another 10 days or so until the players return, and if ML signs someone now, or on 30th June, they're still going to have the same intergration time as each other.

It's definately not panic time for me, it's just that everyone wants to see some news of a new player to give them something to do and research his history.

Let's face it, it's the excitement of reading a headline about a new player, just as it was about the new manager, then most people get chance to chastise the club, critisise the manager, and judge the inabilities of the new player before he even pulls on a shirt.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Richinns wrote: CP - Is this fact or speculation?

Useful signing if it bares fruit.
They were "spotted" in a hotel! ;-)

http://cambridgeunitedfc.proboards.com/ ... hread=1325
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair points everybody. I'm not too clued up regarding the machinations of a football club in situations like this so all your input is invaluable. Cheers. I'm still a BIT worried though!!! :lol: :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.