A winger

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

regiment wrote:having played out wide myself, and grown up in a generation where i feel the typical "winger" has been slightly phased out of the game in favour of wide midfield players, i'd desperately like to see us with a couple of out and out wingers on the books, but it really depends on the style of play that ling will employ. to me, having typical wingers available is a good thing, but if you look at the top sides, there are not too many that play with wingers. and if they do, they often suffer defensively as a result, e.g Tottenham (Bale & Lennon), Villa (Young & Downing) etc. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but i'm just saying you can't throw a couple of attacking wingers in without shaping the rest of the team accordingly.

and then you have to consider who will benefit from having wingers, and at the moment, i don't think our attacking options would be suited to wing play, crosses into the box. When we had Benyon, and even Zebba and Tomlin, those players make their runs into the channels, working out wide, and are not the sort of players busting a gut to get in the box to get on the end of a cross.

Wingers need good full backs behind them. Nico is a good player, maybe a bit short of pace, but positionally good and reads play well, but as we know, we don't have a right back at all, which we hope is being addressed of course.

Either way, i think we will need better wide midfield/wing options than Danny and Lloyd. Both are still learning and may come good, but we need a bit more right now.
I think it might be a very big year for Halpin.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Richinns wrote: I think it might be a very big year for Halpin.
could be. i'm sure he'll be given his chance, and will be interesting to see if he's ready to step up.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

regiment wrote: could be. i'm sure he'll be given his chance, and will be interesting to see if he's ready to step up.
Seems more ready than Macklin at the moment. Time to test his talent out - and gradually bring him through.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/