Building from the back

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gib Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: all

Post by Gib Gull »

Is Saah left footed?
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:I've heard from a few Newcastle fans that we are talking to this guy - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tavernier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James Tavernier, young defender who spent some time on loan at Gateshead. Could be the Premiership defender we're getting in on loan.

You heard it here first!
Well I think it's time I retired from this rumour malarkey - although I did get the Newcastle and the defender part right :lol:
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Interesting to see we face some competition to sign Saah. I guess we'll find out how strong the Ling-factor is in influencing his decision.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sport/C ... 062011.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Erm... have I missed something here? Who is the competition from?

It just says he's been given permission to speak to us.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

cambgull wrote:Erm... have I missed something here? Who is the competition from?

It just says he's been given permission to speak to us.
It says his agent his touting him to other clubs too.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

cambgull - Fair point, no other clubs are named. Cambridge have no reason to mislead us about interest in Saah, but I guess it'd be no surprise if it's just a case of an agent talking up 'other options' to get the best deal for his client (and himself).
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think it's just hype really, Cambridge want to make it look like their player is popular and Saah/Saah's agent will want to make it known that he's had a lot of interest. The fact that there seems to be no other clubs named anywhere on the net suggests it's all talk.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Luton have been long-time admirers of Saah as well, but I doubt Cambridge would let him go to another BSP team unless they have completely given up the ghost on ever getting back into the league.

Makes you hark back to the glory days of Wembley and realise we could have been in exactly the same place now but for that team (and perhaps the manager!)
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Ling-set-a ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today (Thursday) we are set to sign Saah and a keeper as well as Stevens signing his new deal.
We all have expect Saah to sign and i would be very happy with him, as hes highly rated.
A senior keeper is also lined up, which i feel the keepers been mentioned dont really fit the senior keepers to me.
Regarding Danny, im not fussed if he stays, hes a diffrent option. Not strong enough and to small but at the end of the day we need squad players and hes sure to be one of them.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

tufcbrett wrote:http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Ling-set-a ... story.html

Today (Thursday) we are set to sign Saah and a keeper as well as Stevens signing his new deal.
We all have expect Saah to sign and i would be very happy with him, as hes highly rated.
A senior keeper is also lined up, which i feel the keepers been mentioned dont really fit the senior keepers to me.
Regarding Danny, im not fussed if he stays, hes a diffrent option. Not strong enough and to small but at the end of the day we need squad players and hes sure to be one of them.
Reading between the lines in the article, it suggests that maybe we're not in the market for Craig Easton. It doesn't sound like Ling wants another centre-mid, and I think that's probably right. We've got plenty of cover there now, and our attention should be turned to the wings and up front.

I'll be very pleased if we get Saah sorted out today, as well as our first choice keeper. I've said before, I think one of the key elements of pre-season is getting your defensive group into a cohesive unit. Having all the first choice players on board before pre-season starts should help us.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

tufcbrett wrote:http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Ling-set-a ... story.html

Strange the article neither mentions or hints at another signing which is Parkinson? Perhaps this has gone under the radar or is not as completed as first seemed???
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Perhaps there was a case of mis-information, and Parkinson is in fact coming down on trial next week?

Whilst I was imploring Ling to build the core of his team with signings rather trialists, I still feel it's important to leave a couple of gaps in the squad for that potential uncovered gem you can find on trial. With potentially the signing of a keeper and centre half today, that would only leave a maximum of 3 spots up for grabs - and one of those will be a reserve keeper.

Seeing as Parkinson is carrying round this reputation as an injury prone has-been, perhaps Ling remembers seeing some quality back in their Cambridge days and has offered him a trial to prove his fitness and quality.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I expect the three signings mentioned to actually happen tomorrow (Friday) rather than today - the article on the thisis devon site, although appearing online overnight is actually appearing in the written press today and so when they say tomorrow they mean Friday.

With regards to Parkinson, our source (teeboo) did actually predict that this wouldn't now happen until Monday on one of his posts and so no surprise it's not being mentioned as being one of the three signings (including the re-signing of Danny) expected tomorrow.

Like Jeff says, I would have thought a try before you buy deal with Parkinson would have made a lot of sense, rather than commiting to a full contract, particularly given his history of recent injury problems.
Last edited by CP Gull on 30 Jun 2011, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

CP Gull wrote:I expect the three signings mentioned to actually happen tomorrow (Friday) rather than today - the article on the thisis devon site, although appearing online overnight is actually appearing in the written press today and so when they say tomorrow they mean Friday.

With regards to Parkinson, our source (teeboo) did actually predict that this wouldn't now happen until Monday on one of his posts and so no surprise it's not being mentioned as being one of the three signings (including the re-signing of Danny) expected tomorrow.

Like Jeff says, I would have though a try before you buy deal with Parkinson would have made a lot of sense, rather than commiting to a full contract, particularly given his history of recent injury problems.
Tomorrow (Friday) would make sence as it did pick up on it, in the early hours of this morning. Shame really as i wnted to see stuff happen today.
Im still not 100% we are signing the keeper teeboo was on about. Just doesnt seem to be a senior keeper. Will be intresting to see who does sign and if teeboo does get a 3rd one correct. I rather they didnt on this one :lol: