Sill'sy coming home

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Great signing for you Stokie. Definitely still do a job. Glad he's ended up somewhere where he'll be appreciated & what good way to play out his career at the club he started with. I'll be looking out for your results from now on!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

This sort of thing is EXACTLY why we love having Stefano here.

A truly class signing for anyone at BSP level, so for him to have gone as far down as the division below that really is a good bit of business. Did anyone else read the report on their website, Ashley Bayes has also signed for them, sounds like quite a team they're building there.

Question for you Stokie. I'm sure you'll recall that Tim gets 90%+ of his goals with his head. Have you got anyone at the club who is capable of delivering a decent ball from the wing? I mean, really decent, not just boomed into an area, but actually passed onto his head?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stefano s historical genius knows no bounds. :clap:

As for Sillsy a true TUFC legend in my eye s, I will always wish him luck were ever he goes, and hope he does well for Basingstoke.
Formerly known as forevertufc
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Sills was a good player for us (and didn't he do well on Total Recall!), but legend? No.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thats down to opinion's Monkeyboy,for me,he scored a lot of very important goal's for us,and played a major part in our return to the football league,i will never forget him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think he can reasonably be considered a 'folk hero'. But i'm not sure he ever had the talent to be referred to as a 'legend'. Let's not get pedantic about things though. He was an important part of our team for 2 years and he'll always be rembered for that.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cowshed56
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Post by cowshed56 »

Next week the lower league fixtures are announced. Truro v Basingstoke. Yellows away at Morecombe and I cant get there. Take wife shopping to Truro walk up the hill and arrive at ground. Now the big question! Do i go in the home end with the********** and cheer on Lee Hodges side with Steve Adams, Broad? Yetton? or join the away supporters and once again cheer on the Sills, and give Ashley Bayes an earful. Easy - oh and do I wear my TUFC scarf. If the dates work out I will be there anyone else coming?
stokie
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: sills

Post by stokie »

Were away to Truro on October 8th Cowshed56 the same day your away to Bradford if you still fancy it
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It wasn't just Tim Sills, was it ?

Wayne Carlisle scored some very late winners on numerous occasions (as detailed in a past thread) which resulted in a playoff position as opposed to a mid table finish.

As for "Carlisle, he's looking for Benyon . . . . . . SILLS !!!" it's become part of TUFC folklore/history.

:clap: :bow: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

a player that was booed or criticised by many of our moronic fans that season especially at the start. Wins like 2-1 at Grays in the pissing rain where Wayno scored in the last minute were like you say Trojan what made us finish in the playoffs instead of 10th. Seem to remember him scoring the winner in the last minute at Cambridge as well. Think Wayno got 9 goals that season but nearly all of them were critical match winning or match saving goals.

With regard to Sills I don't think legend is too far from the mark, of course technically not the best player ever but did a fantastic job for us for two years and scored at Wembley, him and Hargreaves definite legend status for me :)
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I live in Basingstoke and will definetly pop down to the Camrose to see Tim Sills play.

Yes hes heading ability was/is very good, the 2nd goal at Wembley was a fantastic goal.

Must admit Im a bit surprised at this signing, as others have said he would be still BSP standard in my opinion.

Not sure though he will get the service at Basingstoke, but we will see.

GOOD LUCK TIM
TUST MEMBER
cowshed56
New Signing
New Signing

Post by cowshed56 »

Apologies for bumping this to the top again. I do feel this thread has run its course but may I just reply to stokie by saying it is 90% probable I will be there in Oct, and give my reasons for going, when with a bit of effort I could possibly have got to Bradford on that day. I also take Trojan 67's point, which I fully agree with, that others (Wayno) were just as big a part in the success story. I could have come unstuck there as Wayno was playing for Truro until he took on the Ivybridge College job full time. So Les Auful! (another ex player) who i forgot about, i don't know why! retains his place in the side. We were all able to give our thanks immediately following the triumph at Wembley by attending the 'open top parade' but the point I want to make is that thanks to 'the poison dwarf' we never had a chance to thank or say our goodbyes to a number of our team which brought us back to our rightful position immediately before they were suddenly out of the team and packed off to somewhere else very rapidly. This is my opportunity to do this.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

One former player I hope appears at Plainmoor next season and is welcomed back is Guy Branston. He was superb for us in his time here and made all the right comments when he departed.

Now he's an opposition player, I'll be on his case from the start. When he comes over to the Popside after the game, I'll applaud him for his time with TUFC.
cowshed56
New Signing
New Signing

Post by cowshed56 »

Once again I agree with you. Branno was terrific for us during his time here and in no way left under any cloud. Will welcome him back warmly. Would have been interested to see how he got on with Chris McPhee though - some may remember the photo showing the time Branno was sent off for attacking McPhee during a Kettering-Ebbsflet game. As a new entrant to the board here, though I have been reading it now for about 4 years, I decided to post as some of the comments on various threads of late have given me heart that there are others out there who think things through.
I was mildly upset that Nicky Forster didnt get the job but then reading the reports here and the warming attitude to M Ling made me think how right many of you are. I now am happy that the club is in the right hands especially when Stuart Taylor came as assistant. Finally on the welcome given to returning old players - what happens when a player who has run his heart out for us and been a firm favourite says as reported " i was very keen to follow him when I knew he had been appointed manager there". Doesnt do much for the old kiss the badge image given whilst here does it!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Back in the archive (previous thread pages) there's a lot of comment on the old Cowshed (that's the structure, not you '56). :)

Three on here now (stefano, myself, and you '56) have fond memories of watching games from the Cowshed (Ellacombe End). :-D

Welcome to the club. :clap: