Tough job for Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Tough job for Ling

Post by CP Gull »

What was always likely to be a tough job for Martin Ling has just got a lot harder. Replacing Zebs, with limited funds available, is going to be very difficult and as we know every team is always after a proven golascorer and many of those that were available will now be fixed up.

I'm beginning to feel a little sorry for Ling, even before a ball is kicked! On the face of it at least he should be taking over a decent squad who got as close as is humanly possible to going up a League last year - a decent base to build on you might think from the outside. However, as we all know, not all of that success was achieved with our own players, no doubt about it that Stanley, Robinson and Tomlin all played a huge part in our success which largely came about due to the results achieved from February onwards.

Not only have we lost these players but straight away, before he even got here, he was faced with losing our first choice keeper and our POTY and "leader" Guy Branston. Nothing he could do about that, but now we have to face losing our Top Scorer (and runner up POTY) in Zebs who it seems has been sold rather cheaply in my opinion. He will be very difficult to replace and it will be interesting to see how Ling goes about trying to do this.

Would we consider paying a transfer fee? I seriously doubt it, but when you consider that we have pulled in fees that must be close to £150k for Benyon, Wroe and Zebroski in the past 6 months you wonder how those combined talents are ever going to be replaced "on the cheap" - no easy task for Martin Ling that's for sure!

The thing is, you have to remember that this may well be a last chance for Ling - yes, he achieved some success at Leyton Orient but that ultimately ended in failure (he was sacked) and unquestionably his time at Cambridge was a disaster - he certainly cannot afford another failure as I would suggest that it would almost certainly put and end to his Managerial career at least at this sort of level. He knows that the Board aren't demanding too much of him in this "transitional" period BUT he does need to get off to a good start as if he doesn't then the pressure will really be on - we cannot afford to risk our League status (again!).
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

The bigger picture might include the fact that most of the managers in our league have a tough job (in building a squad on a budget or meeting fans expectations). I think our club is a pretty steady ship, even in these trying/transitional times and I'm also pretty happy with Ling's dealings so far.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I must admit there is one Manager in this League who always seems to have a tough job every summer. Poor old John Coleman at Accrington ALWAYS loses his best players every summer - normally because they only hand out 1 year deals at cash strapped Accy. Last summer he lost the likes of Symes, Grant and even though he was never actually their player our very own Billy Kee - the three of them had bagged something like 40 goals the season before and yet he (Coleman) still managed to rebuild a squad that was good enough to reach the Play Offs.

Same again this summer, he has lost his best player Jimmy Ryan as well as his Captain (Edwards), his left back Jacobson (to Shrewsbury) and looks increasingly likely to lose his top scorer Gornell (to Shrewsbury) and his goalkeeper Cisak !

However, he always seems able to pull a few rabbits out of the hat, no doubt it helps them being in that part of the country but nevertheless it can't be easy on the type of wages that Accy are able to offer (even quite a lot less than ours I would suggest). It will be interesting to see how he fares this season.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I'm predicting a poor season for Accrington, again, although some will say it's wrong to write them off, they still will be well up against it to do well.

Us? Well we're not doing much better..
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

You do have to question the direction the club is being run in. Since the first day of last season (when by definition you should have a settled squad for the season), we've lost Bevan, Branston, Zebroski, Wroe, Benyon and Potter.

The players signed in that period have been Olejnik, Saah, Leadbitter, Oastler and McPhee.

When you think we've also lost the loanees Stanley, Robinson and Tomlin, then 6 of the side took us to the play-off final have departed, and that was a side that was low on numbers. We didn't have an attacker on the bench to bring on that day, and 3 of those that started have left. Billy Kee is the only genuine goal threat we have, and he's only 20. There's going to be times when he needs a break from the side, but who are we going to have?

Since the 2nd leg against Shrewsbury, the club has been a disaster zone. On the pitch, off the pitch, in the club offices, PR coming out - in just about every way possible this summer has been a complete disappointment. Last week showed some very promising signs, with Olejnik, Saah and Andrew Candy, but today has just shot all that down again.

Pre-season has already begun, and our attack consists of Stevens, Macklin, Halpin, Kee and McPhee (who might not even play in an attacking role). Kee aside, the other 4 have never been first choice L2 players and have a lot still to prove at this level.

The board came in 4 years ago with a wave of optimism and investment, but all that appears to have gone. Maybe it's the club that does it to them, I'm sure Bateson was enthusiastic when he first started. But short of finding a new owner every 3 years, our long term future doesn't seem to have changed at all really - a bottom half L2 club with no inclination to go higher.

Whatever happens between now and August, we're going to have a weak squad next year. 6 first team players have gone and 2 have come in (Olejnik and Saah). If we're only looking to add a winger and a striker to those, then we're 2 quality players down on where we were 12 months ago. Meaning squad players (Stevens, Macklin) stepping up to first teamers, and youth players (Palmer, Spear) stepping up to squad fillers, which just isn't going to end well.

I do feel sorry for Ling. It's going to be a very hard season for us next year, and to the outside world it's going to look like he's done a bad job. With 3 more good signings in attacking areas he's done as well as he could have this summer, but even that won't be enough with the cut-backs being enforced on him.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

not sure if it would be poor, again, for Accrington, under Coleman they have improved season on season, even when they were non league

2006/7 20th
2007/8 17th
2008/9 16th
2009/10 15th
2010/11 5th

I cannot think of one good reason why Accrington will not fail to deliver again this season. Coleman, if rumours are to believed has turned down moves to 11 football league clubs during his time at Accrington and you ncan see why he is so well respected.

They proved last year that they are very very difficult to beat and the core of that team will still be around.

I have said before that another unfasionable team who could surprise this year is Macclesfield. A very young team has, in the main, held together this year and can only get more consistent. Some of their results against the sections best teams proved what they are capable of and the bookies most be jumping for joy as they take bets, yet again, on Macclesfield going down.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

MidDevon wrote:not sure if it would be poor, again, for Accrington, under Coleman they have improved season on season, even when they were non league

2006/7 20th
2007/8 17th
2008/9 16th
2009/10 15th
2010/11 5th

I cannot think of one good reason why Accrington will not fail to deliver again this season. Coleman, if rumours are to believed has turned down moves to 11 football league clubs during his time at Accrington and you ncan see why he is so well respected.

They proved last year that they are very very difficult to beat and the core of that team will still be around.

I have said before that another unfasionable team who could surprise this year is Macclesfield. A very young team has, in the main, held together this year and can only get more consistent. Some of their results against the sections best teams proved what they are capable of and the bookies most be jumping for joy as they take bets, yet again, on Macclesfield going down.

I'm not so sure about Macclesfield. They've lost Bencherif, Barnett and Reid who were all first team for them, the former two were outstanding in both games against us. They've brought in some lad from non league but you never know if he'll sink or swim.

Accrington always pull something about of the bag. Look at the catchment area of clubs they can draw from. Coleman every year must be inundated with trial requests.

Ling has a massive couple of weeks ahead. The list of available forwards isn't great, so we're either going to have to cough up some cash (unlikely), take a gamble on a young/non league/foreign player and hope he performs, or go for journeyman pros and hope they have the season of their careers.

Whatever, it's not a great place to be in.
rumurchap
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rumurchap »

confussed questioning the clubs ambition
Paul Buckle CHOOSE to leave..he didnt get sacked and wasnt pushed
Scott Bevan and Guy Branston CHOOSE to leave and both was out of contract and the club DID offer both new deals. Would you really want them to sign when there heart is not in it ?!
Zebs decision to leave, not the boards...in fact the board had offered better terms and a relocation package and still he didnt want to stay.
As for the loanee's they enjoyed playing for the club last year under different management, they have done what is best for them and their families.
The board has backed Torquay, even when buckle had a tough year in the first year back in the league, would have been easy to get a more experienced manager in then.
The board has spent a lot of money on the training ground and is million times better than the old racecourse facilites, the stadium is being upgraded which will make a world of difference when finished.
The board has backed the previous management and the current management as to backroom staff such as assistant, first team coach and didnt we have sports anaylyst, scouts, fitness coach etc
The board has re-ignited the reserve team which gives great advantage to the players who need match time and chance to try new players etc
The board has got a good youth set up going in tandem with paignton college
The board has created good links with clubs such as Derby and Queen Park Rangers which can only help the club
I think its easy to look at the current situation and think were in trouble and say were lacking ambition, but were Torquay, down in the south of england which is a big move for a lot of players and the support should go to the new players and staff that do want to be here. The Chairman is also a supporter who wants the best for this club, who will not ruin us financially, look at Rushden and Diamonds who aren't anywhere to be seen these days. Success is survival, success is league 2, success is a good cup run, exciting games, family atmosphere and a local club, play-offs would be brilliant but survival isn't a disaster.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

How about we just play some football and see what happens?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

at the end of the day we are one of the teams in this division that really could end up just about anywhere! and thats the exicting thing for me, i reckon we'l be fine
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am following the same line here as Happytorq,right from the start my mindset has been do not judge our club or Ling untill we have seen the final make up of our squad.

Right now iam concerned,i thought with O'kane and Zebroski we would be o.k,now Zebs has gone and that leaves a huge whole,as long as the club does not lsoe Robertson,i do not see our back four as relegation fodder,i see our midfield as decent should be fine there,at the moment it does not take a lot of working out,up front we are looking woefully short.

Ling has said he looking for a wide left player,and two strikers,so lets wait and see who he brings in,and not forget our club is still offering 2 year contracts ,not 1 year like some other clubs,and Ling will be able to use the loan market aswell,so concerned yes,not panicing yet though.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I also feel sorry for Ling. Coming to Torquay is never an easy job, and now with some players leaving it's going to be even harder. I will back Ling 100%. (Obviously until that it is obvious something needs to change!) Then and only then will I slate him. It is stupid if we start chanting him out if a good few losses are coming together because that's going to put more unneeded pressure on him. I agree with happytorq lets see how we get on before we all predict relegation!

One thing I am confused about. We all know that we have never been great with the financial part and when we sign players it's usually in the loan market or with players that are on a free transfer. So, when our top goal scorer and main striker that puts in 100% effort every game hands in a transfer request we agree 35K!? That's not making Ling's job any easier, in fact making it much harder. It just doesn't make sense to me, the 200K mark seemed a pretty reasonable price to me and I'm sure if we demanded that price then a bigger club would have snapped up Zeb. With that then Ling would have 200K to spend on players.

I'm sure behind the scenes that Ling has many other signings lined up so I won't start panicking until at least half of the season is over!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
ROI2Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Gary Nelson

Post by ROI2Gull »

Lets hope the combined sale of Zebs and his salary structure is used to its full potential i.e. reel in some high quality freebies !
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think most 'high quality' freebies will be fixed up by now. We're left to fight over those players that have been left on the shelf. For a change.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

The usual moaners and doom and gloomers spouting their nonsense!

Get a grip people for heavens sakes.........I cannot stand negativity for negativities sake, their is just so much of it on here.

Lets look at the facts - We were not in a strong position with Zebroski, not only does the guy live up that way, he wanted to go and could have walked for nothing at the end of the season.
Their has been no official word of the fee - apart from the Bristol Post stating it was 35k up front with add ons, even if you choose to believe this it is likely that the fee will probably end up double that figure or more perhaps - 60/80k for a reasonably decent but limited L2 striker (with well documented "issues"), under these circumstances is completely FAIR.

I've read such gems on here that if Benyon went for 125k then Zeb should be 150-200k! - what a load of old twaddle! - was never going to happen in a million years, even though Zeb is probably the more effective player.
Swindon were in the shit on transfer deadline day, staring relegation in the face - they HAD to buy a striker we knew that and took them for a cool 125k, he wasn't worth half that in today's depressed transfer market - Zeb was a buyers market, Benyon a sellers market.......simple as that.

Instead of slagging off the board - try and engage your brain first.....
Zeb cost 20k Benyon cost nothing, both did well enough but hardly set the world on fire, both proven L2 players but little more in all honesty, both were happy to leave and get more money elsewhere.

........we turned 20k into nearly 200k and got good service from them both along the way - brilliant business for a club of our size, and yet the board get a good slagging - in the words of Gulliball - "You do have to question the direction in which the club is being run" - dear oh dear! With fans like you I'm feckin glad I'm not one of 10/11 that chucked their 'hard earned in to save this club.

Ling has stated that our budget is in the "middle 8" in this Lge, instead all you read on here is that its bordering on BSP South level, again completely untrue! - the board should be congratulated for that as our gates are somewhere in the bottom 4 or 5 for a start.

Ling is an experienced manager and he knows this league, he can see that we've lost some of our better players - he knows his last signings are going to need to be quality ones - I, for one am pleased he's taking his time to get the right players in, we already know he has a much bigger set of contacts than Buckle ever had.

Enough of the knee jerk, doom and gloom, it's bloody depressing reading and it's also unfair.....

Let's judge the squad when we see who lines up on the 1st day of the season and see if it has the potential we all hope it has, after 10-15 games or so.
....aka jmgull.