What price Zebroski?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Fonda wrote: Bacon?
Peter Schmeichel?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Fonda wrote:Bacon?
:lol:

As long as the Carlsberg's not off. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

A local rag reports the fee as 35k down with future add ons.

Officially, the fee (in total) is undisclosed.

Most transfers these days are paid in instalments, so 35k is a good whack up front (as long as the initial whack is one lump sum upfront).

Let's hope then that Zebs fulfils his potential, stays free of injury, moves on later to another club for a big fee and last, but not least, Bristol Rovers don't go into administration.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I would never trust anything the Bristol Evening Post come out with and I firmly believe that our club would not disclose the fee to them if it was to be undisclosed. I am sure the true fee will be a lot more than £35000 and hopefully it will be enough to enable your Manager to go out and get suitable replacements. Our last manager (Trollope spent two years trying to get a targetman in the building) and I fully understand it when you say it is difficult to get players to go to Torquay. We generally seem to get the same problem and often think how unfair it is that the Northern clubs and London clubs have a great advantage. To be fair Terry Skiverton seems to have broken the mould a bit and gets some very useful loans in.
I am sure that there is going to be a great atmosphere at both the Mem and Plainmoor when we play each other this season .
I wish you the best of luck for this season and am sure that by the first game you will have a squad of heroes to support.
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by mlw »

Why is it that people on this forum jump at any opportunity to get at the board & the club. The Bristol evening rag says BR paid £35000 and it suddenly becomes fact - IT IS ONLY SPECULATION NOT FACT. The OS states that BR met our valuation -THAT is the ONLY fact we know - everything else is guesswork. As previously mentioned the £35000 may be a first installment (after all they are paying Buckles compensation in installments) we don't know, so for crying out feckin loud stop wittering until we know the FULL facts as and when they ever come out.
How many of the serial wingers on here are likely to take up the opportunity to join the forum being proposed by Andrew Candy to do something genuinely useful to help the club - very few I suggest and I fear that what is a good idea will decend into the usual chaos and recrimination. I know that if my work and family commitmernts were different I would do all I could to help. Some of you need to ask yourselves whether you really want TUFC to thrive because if it did you wouldn't have anything to moan about - but on the otherhand -----------!!!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote:Is it really true that he's only worth what someone will pay for him? In fact, he's more realistically worth what we would accept for him. Nobody foced us to sell him to Bristol Rovers. We should have had a figure in mind, and until they met it, told them to sod off. £35k is such a measly figure, surely our board know enough to think him worth more than that? If it meant having an unhappy player, tough. He had a contract with us, and should have been told to knuckle down until our valuation was met. I'd rather he walked away for nothing next summer, than to be made to look stupid by Buckle yet again. He made a show of us by sorting his next career move whilst our season was still going on. He's done it since in the transfer market, and yet again today. How many more times? He must be sat in his office this very second laughing his head off.
Agree with this entirely. £35k is indefensible. That 'nice' Mr Baker has given away our manager (the compo for Buckle seemed pretty pathetic) and now our best player. I too think we should have just told BRFC where to go, and kept Zebroski. You don't just 'give away' your best players because they are threatening to be stroppy.

Look how Spurs have been so resolute about Modric. It may be different money but the principle is the same.

This nonsense about Zebroski commuting. What a load of crap. You can see the hand of Buckle in this.

We have now lost Bevan, Branston, Stanley, Robinson, Tomlin and Zebroski from the side that was playing so well. It may well be that some were loanees but they looked likely to join us until Buckle left.

We are certainly in the deficit playing strength wise and you can see the likes of Robertson and O'Kane having their head turned soon as well.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

You'd almost forget that pre-season started today...............

The fee involved is pure speculation, so this all could be a hissy-fit about nothing. We knew Zebs was going to make this move last week, it was obvious. Its still disappointing as it has left us weaker. But once Zebs wanted to go he was as good as useless. For all his positives, Zebs can be a liability when his head isn't in the game. I've said this before, his performances around last xmas (what games we had) were pretty poor and this coincided with his court appearance.

Once Zebs head was turned, that was it. Even if we'd kept him a sulking Zeb would have been a shadow of what he once was, and his petulant streak would possibly have seen him rack up more disciplinary problems on and off the pitch for not getting his way. At least this way we've cashed in at his highest market value - if he'd moped around until January, we'd be talking a lot less than the alleged £35k.

This is no doubt this is a turbulent time for the club. I'm not so aggrieved at Buckle for poaching our players/targets, its still the manner of him leaving that rankles. If he hadn't pimped himself out during our Playoff campaign he would still have been here, and we would have had the makings of a great squad. As it is he's gone and dismembered much of that promising group of players, but grizzling about it isn't going to change any of that now.

Its a sad state of affairs that clubs like ours - when they have a good run - will never sustain it as the bigger "vultures" of the division will come and pick us apart in due course. All we can do now is get behind Ling and what's left, hope they can ride out this rocky patch (survival will be a start) and see where we can go from there.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

If our board however had any savviness about them, they would not be gift-wrapping our top scorer to rivals of ours in this division. It is not like we have even given him away to a club in a higher division. We have given him to a team that is in our own league and therefore given a team an effective player for when they play us.

It will be one thing having Zebroski play and probably score against if we had made BRFC pay dearly for him. But when we just give him to them it is just so galling.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Warwickgull wrote:
Clubs generally just dont do that though do they? Yes he did have a contract with us but he has obviously been offered a better one by Rovers, and he has left for an agreed fee, simple as that. No manager wants to hold onto an unhappy player as it does nothing at all for squad morale. The minute he handed in that transfer request the writing was on the wall, player power wins hands down and probably always will.

I couldn't care less what Buckle is doing, or who he is doing it too, keep an eye on him Rebbeca :whip:. If he does return for even more of our players in the future so be it. Players come players go, we must look to the future and Hope Mr Ling was the right appointment and that the players he brings in are also good appointments. :nod:
If they turned down an offer then wtf exactly was it? A bag of crisps? Really powerful negotiating from our board if £35k is the best they could muster. They have been mugged.

So everytime a player expresses a desire to be elsewhere we should agree the first offer that comes in for him? I'm not sure that's an effective business plan. Nor is it destined to reap rewards on the pitch.[/quote]

Firstly it was not the first offer, one had allready been rejected, and more importantly none of us yet know the transfer fee / add ons etc or the actual deal which has been done by our board. Secondly you talk about reaping rewards on the pitch, that is not going to happen with a player who does not want to be here.

Just my opinion :~D[/quote]
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Jeff wrote:You'd almost forget that pre-season started today...............
There is, at last, news on the OS about the first day back - rather read about that than Zebs being sold!

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 91,00.html

Billy looks as though he may have put on a few pounds .... :O
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

CP Gull wrote: There is, at last, news on the OS about the first day back - rather read about that than Zebs being sold!

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 91,00.html

Billy looks as though he may have put on a few pounds .... :O
Theres a photo of almost the whole team jogging, who is the player with the different top on to the left of Shaun Taylor?
The gulls are going up
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

hector wrote:If our board however had any savviness about them, they would not be gift-wrapping our top scorer to rivals of ours in this division. It is not like we have even given him away to a club in a higher division. We have given him to a team that is in our own league and therefore given a team an effective player for when they play us.

It will be one thing having Zebroski play and probably score against if we had made BRFC pay dearly for him. But when we just give him to them it is just so galling.
FOR CHRIST SAKE, Please tell me how so many seem to know the exact ins and outs and details of what we got/are going to get for Zeb, and are now crying over their keyboards about it? The fee was undisclosed! How do you know its not 3 payments of 35k staggered, or 35k and a player, or not 35k at all, or 35k and a fffing nice timeshare in Florida for the board to share?

A quote from a Bristol rag their own fans slate is being used by some Torquay fans to beat themselves and their club over the head with, just bloody stop it! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by mlw »

Well said Warwickgull - my thoughts exactly
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

mlw wrote:Why is it that people on this forum jump at any opportunity to get at the board & the club. The Bristol evening rag says BR paid £35000 and it suddenly becomes fact - IT IS ONLY SPECULATION NOT FACT. The OS states that BR met our valuation -THAT is the ONLY fact we know - everything else is guesswork. As previously mentioned the £35000 may be a first installment (after all they are paying Buckles compensation in installments) we don't know, so for crying out feckin loud stop wittering until we know the FULL facts as and when they ever come out.
How many of the serial wingers on here are likely to take up the opportunity to join the forum being proposed by Andrew Candy to do something genuinely useful to help the club - very few I suggest and I fear that what is a good idea will decend into the usual chaos and recrimination. I know that if my work and family commitmernts were different I would do all I could to help. Some of you need to ask yourselves whether you really want TUFC to thrive because if it did you wouldn't have anything to moan about - but on the otherhand -----------!!!

Danny Stevens comes on, Macklin did once, how many "wingers" do you think we have? ;-)
Dave

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Zebs is gone now and i for one am not bothered in the slightest. He can be replaced. What does concern me is the value of the transfer fee to our club. agree with warwickgull a bit, we don't know the details so shouldn't be making rash judgements but by the same token warwickgull, given the clubs history of giving away players in the past, it is understandable that fans are worried and expecting the same.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.