Robertson next for transfer list

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

friendlygas wrote:Cant see this being true if Robertson is a left back as we have two already!! Sawyer from last season and Ian Brown from QPR. I will be VERY surprised if the fee for Zebroski is as low as that.Cant believe our luck if it is and feel genuinely sorry for you.
Robbo is primarily a Centre Half but has also been used on many occasions by Buckle as a RIGHT BACK.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

friendlygas wrote:Cant see this being true if Robertson is a left back as we have two already!! Sawyer from last season and Ian Brown from QPR. I will be VERY surprised if the fee for Zebroski is as low as that.Cant believe our luck if it is and feel genuinely sorry for you.
robertson is a CB, and can cover at RB. but Buckle might decide to play him left wing of course 8/

EDIT - as CP has just said already ^^
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Buckle has absolutely no imagination. I really like Robbo as a player. I think he d be a huge loss to us, as although he undoubtedly has his faults, he remains a far more dependable defender than Ellis. Ellis has undoubted potential, but he doesn t seem to have ironed out any of the flaws in his game – hopefully Shaun Taylor can bring him on a bit.

With regards to Buckles imagination or lack thereof, as much as I like Robbo as a player, there are countless centre-backs in this division with as much ability as him. So either a) he knows we re a soft-touch in negotiations, b) he really is as spiteful as it appears by taking every player we have with any quality or c) he has no ability to identify talent so is only interested in players he s worked with before.

In summary, sod off Buckle. You are in danger of becoming as unpopular as Evans and Raynor, which having achieved what you did for our club, is quite an achievement.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

This is getting beyond ridiculous now! It'll be like watching Torquay 2011/2012 v Torquay 2010/2011 on the 13th August and the 10th March!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

feel tempted to list his mobile number and then we can all text him our "thought" on him ......
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

kingsgull wrote:feel tempted to list his mobile number and then we can all text him our "thought" on him ......
Could be interesting..
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

O'Kane being out of contract next summer is fairly irrelevant, I'd have thought; he'd still be under 24 so we'd get something at tribunal at least.

It's interesting that Bristol Rovers seem to be so happy that Buckle is recreating his team from last year - that team failed to get promotion, and that was with Player of the Year Guy Branston and Eunan O'Kane, neither of whom will be at the MemStad next season. Sure, finishing 7th was acceptable for us, but you can be pretty certain that Rovers would be disappointed with that.

Thinking about it further, their new manager obviously doesn't have a very large contact book because most of the players he's signed or appears interested in are either ones he's seen before, or ones who have played locally already. That wouldn't fill me with confidence, to be honest. One of our new guys is from Scotland - that's the same distance from Torquay as France!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

"It's interesting that Bristol Rovers seem to be so happy that Buckle is recreating his team from last year - that team failed to get promotion, and that was with Player of the Year Guy Branston and Eunan O'Kane, neither of whom will be at the MemStad next season. Sure, finishing 7th was acceptable for us, but you can be pretty certain that Rovers would be disappointed with that. "

Paul Buckle has actually signed 11 players in under a month and as with any Manager they will bring players with them who they have managed or known before. As I see it he has signed only two from Torquay..Bevan and Zebroski. Carayol and Stanley could just as easily have signed for someone else. The rest I dont think have any connection with Torquay. We also have 5 League 1 players from last season who should do well in League 2 (if they stay) and younsters who played bit parts last season. In no way is this recreating his team of last year. his big test will be geling the group together. In all honesty I think you are wrong anfd that many would look on getting in the Play Offs as success because last time we went down we ended up second from bottom!!

"Thinking about it further, their new manager obviously doesn't have a very large contact book because most of the players he's signed or appears interested in are either ones he's seen before, or ones who have played locally already. "

Is that not a sensible thing to do? Surely you dont think Martin Ling will sign players he has neither seen before or have played for him before?

"That wouldn't fill me with confidence, to be honest."

What would have filled you with confidence? If he went out and signed eleven players who he had never heard of or seen before?
I actually believe that you will find Martin ling to be a good Manager and that you will move on and have a reasonable season. I will be very surprised though if he doesnt bring to you players he has Managed before or seen them play.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

friendlygas wrote: Paul Buckle has actually signed 11 players in under a month and as with any Manager they will bring players with them who they have managed or known before. As I see it he has signed only two from Torquay..Bevan and Zebroski. Carayol and Stanley could just as easily have signed for someone else. The rest I dont think have any connection with Torquay. We also have 5 League 1 players from last season who should do well in League 2 (if they stay) and younsters who played bit parts last season. In no way is this recreating his team of last year. his big test will be geling the group together. In all honesty I think you are wrong anfd that many would look on getting in the Play Offs as success because last time we went down we ended up second from bottom!!
Ok, you might be content with a play-off spot but you'd have to admit that Buckle has been brought in to get the team promoted, yes? What happens when the team have their inevitable slump when they don't win for 7-8 games? People will be calling for the guy's head, and the track record of those in charge at BR suggests that they'd pull the trigger.
Okay, so I maybe overstated it when I said that he was rebuilding last year's team; and I would argue with you about Stanley - technically wasn't a Torquay player but he played for us for a lot of last season and prior to Buckle leaving, the assumption seemed to be (confirmed by Stanley himself) that he would sign permanently.
To be honest, Carayol is the baffling one for me. The guy couldn't wait to leave us, and he said some very interesting things about Buckle on his way out of the door. Then the team he went to got relegated! I mean, I know he's just one player, but it probably wouldn't make me feel great to know that we've signed a player with a track record of 'playing for a contract', not being able to work with the manager, and who had a pretty poor season last time out. I stand to be proven wrong, but it does seem odd that PB moved for him at all, unless they've kissed and made up.

WRT to getting the team to gel - agreed, that is the big issue he'll have and again, how much latitude will he be given early doors? What happens if you lose to Crawley, then lose to us (heh) and struggle to get wins early in the season? Part of that is the natural problem with trying to get a new team to play together but I have doubts as to the amount of patience both the fans and the management will have. Fortunately, I also don't care a great deal. A childish immature part of me would love to see him fail spectacularly; not because I dislike BRFC particularly (I don't, they fall into a list of about 75 league clubs that I don't care about) but because I feel that Buckle has treated this club and it's fans with disrespect. I get that he's ambitious, etc etc, but there is a right way to move up the ladder and it's almost as if he's gone out of his way to do it the wrong way.
friendlygas wrote: Is that not a sensible thing to do? Surely you dont think Martin Ling will sign players he has neither seen before or have played for him before?
Martin Ling is a different position; not having been employed he could have been busy speaking to coaches, keeping an eye on improving players, travelling to watch reserve games, etc. I naturally don't know if this is what he *has* done but I'm almost certain that his list of contacts is larger than PB's. Buckle will have been limited (or should have been!) in the amount of 'scouting' he can have done because his attention should have been on Torquay, although it's become quite clear that we weren't his sole focus in the latter part of the season.
friendlygas wrote: What would have filled you with confidence? If he went out and signed eleven players who he had never heard of or seen before?
I actually believe that you will find Martin ling to be a good Manager and that you will move on and have a reasonable season. I will be very surprised though if he doesn't bring to you players he has Managed before or seen them play.
I think Ling will be ok, too. In fact, I'm more optimistic about Ling than I would be for Buckle (yeah, I know, hindsight). Ling has accomplished more than Buckle has in league management - I mean thinking about it rationally, Buckle has been hired to get BRFC but he's never got a league promotion before.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

To be honest HappyTorq I think the most important thing with a lot of our supporters will be the way we play the game. If,as seems to be the case,Paul Buckle comes up with a brand of football that is good to the eye and we are not at the bottom of the league then he will be given time to do the job. I actually honestly believe that Paul Buckle himself will make the decision when he leaves us. We have had to put up with a season of watching the biggest load of dross for many a year and couldnt wait for a clear out. I actually said after the last game that I wouldnt mind if I didnt see any of our contracted players in a Rovers shirt again! A quote I have never forgotten from our Mr trollope was "We are a much better team when we havent got the ball!!" Well I can tell you we were relegated because we didnt have the ball very much at all!!
I very much hope that Paul Buckle will leave us the same way he left you...after being successful.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

friendlygas wrote:To be honest HappyTorq I think the most important thing with a lot of our supporters will be the way we play the game. If,as seems to be the case,Paul Buckle comes up with a brand of football that is good to the eye and we are not at the bottom of the league then he will be given time to do the job. I actually honestly believe that Paul Buckle himself will make the decision when he leaves us. We have had to put up with a season of watching the biggest load of dross for many a year and couldnt wait for a clear out. I actually said after the last game that I wouldnt mind if I didnt see any of our contracted players in a Rovers shirt again! A quote I have never forgotten from our Mr trollope was "We are a much better team when we havent got the ball!!" Well I can tell you we were relegated because we didnt have the ball very much at all!!
I very much hope that Paul Buckle will leave us the same way he left you...after being successful.
This brand of football that Buckle is associated with is a myth. For most of his 4 years here we played hoofball. Even until January the football was a little gormless, playing long balls up to Elliot Benyon. Buckle struck lucky with the loan signings. He only got Jake Robinson because Shrewsbury wanted Nicky Wroe and he with Tomlin created a new more effective dimension to our attacking play. Had Shrewsbury not wanted Wroe and Swindon not wanted Benyon, we would never had reached the play-offs.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

And because of that last point mlw, I suspect he has learnt and will try and play that way.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Wouldn't surprise me at all, Buckle clearly likes Robertson and again he knows he'd get a solid job out of him at League 2 level. Coupled with his lack of contacts to know if there is anyone better he may well go for him. I may be completely wrong but Robbo seems to me to be quite settled in this area and has a lot of really good mates at the club. It might be harder to persuade him to move and I dunno but it doesn't seem in his character to try and force a move. I hope he stays he's a solid competent defender at this level and having played next to Branston for a season and a bit I hope he's learned a lot and can be the dominant figure for us next season.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

this is not a rumour...he is definetly going..he has made it perfectly clear....and yes its Buckle again who is after him...i rate him too and will be sad to hear from official sources later in week once a deal is concluded... :(
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

kingsgull wrote:this is not a rumour...he is definetly going..he has made it perfectly clear....and yes its Buckle again who is after him...i rate him too and will be sad to hear from official sources later in week once a deal is concluded... :(
Sorry to question this kingsgull but where is this information from?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/