Thanks for nothing Zebroski

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Thanks for nothing Zebroski

Post by CP Gull »

Reading the interview that Zebroski gave the Bristol press yesterday quite frankly I am glad he's gone.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/story-12 ... story.html

This is a player who has now been signed by Buckle for a third time and so it's not in the least surprising that he has moved on. However it should not be forgotten that TORQUAY UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB have paid his wages and have been his EMPLOYERS throughout that time. You could argue that we (TUFC) resurrected his career when he was sacked by Argyle after the Wotton glassing incident and was then signed by Millwall but was unwanted and unloved by them. We (TUFC) took him on loan and gave him a platform again to show what he could do. He performed very well for us in the BSP and then despite our (or is it Paul Buckle's?) best efforts he chose to "go with the money" and sign for Wycombe rather than stay loyal to TUFC (and Buckle) that summer.

When we (TUFC) eventually got him on a permanent contract by signing him from Wycombe where he wasn't having the best of times apparently with a section of the home crowd on his back, we (TUFC) gave him another chance to kick on with his career. He took it and we paid a decent price (£25k) for him and rewarded him with a decent salary which probably made him one of (if not the) highest earners at the football club.

Whilst not knocking the effort and commitment he gave on the pitch for us, he then repays us by bringing the name of the football club into disrepute by being convicted of assault on a (presumably) drunken night out on the town. He admits the offence and we (TUFC) stand by him and offer to support him through the community service that he has to do by way of a punishment and the programme he undertook to get over his problems with alcohol. Make no mistake, we (TUFC) had every opportunity (a criminal conviction) to have sacked him over this incident , particularly as it wasn't his first, and yet we stood by him.

On the pitch he continued to give his all and yet the "red mist"resurfaced when he stupidly got sent off for two yellow cards in two minutes in what was our biggest match of the season in the 4th Round of the FACUP against Crawley - a match that he failed to perform to anything like his potential - and which eventually through no small part down to his own stupidity we lost and in so doing as it turned out denied the football club the chance to hit the jackpot by drawing the plum draw of Man U away in the FA Cup 5th Round.

So, how does he repay us ? Yet again when it came to the big game he failed to perform with a very much below par performance at Old Trafford in the League 2 Play Off Final. But now we hear that the very next day when Paul Buckle was agreeing his contract with Bristol Rovers all he was thinking about was "show me where to sign" (a quote of his from the Bristol press interview).

So, while no doubt several thousand Gulls fans were still making the long, arduous and expensive journey home on that Sunday full of disappointment and thoughts of what might have been all Zebroski is thinking about is his next big pay cheque ("I've been wanting to come here from the first day Paul Buckle joined! ).

Inevitably despite us wanting to keep him he has conspired with his former Manager to make the move happen, with the final slap in the face for the club being his written transfer request received over the weekend when we refused to accept the (presumably) derisory first offer that BRFC made - for goodness sake if we ended up accepting £30-35k (way below his true value in my opinion) what sort of piss take offer did Buckle make in the first place???

And so he leaves, with no word of thanks to his former employer for standing by him when others might have been less forgiving, no message to the Torquay fans who never "got on his back" when he failed to turn up on the big occasions just a "how great it is to be here" etc etc.

It's perhaps no wonder that Buckle and Zebroski have such a good working relationship, they appear to have some very similar character traits.

Thanks for nothing Zebroski.
Last edited by CP Gull on 06 Jul 2011, 10:07, edited 6 times in total.
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

good post that one i totally agree with your setiments there
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Unbelievable, well Bristol Rovers are welcome to him. I don't want players playing for Torquay who don't want to be here and in the matches I saw last season, he was so inconsistent it was frustrating at times.

Bucks and Zebs sound perfect for each other, don't they.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I don't, i think you're reading too much into it if you think that the day after Stevenage he's literally itching to get away, he just wants to work for Paul Buckle again. So once Buckle had got the job there and had said either to him (likely) or made noises to TUFC that he wants to sign Zebroski then Zebroski wanted to go. He wanted to go and play for Bucks, no doubt on more money with a better chance of success in his career. Despite the talk of players not wanting to play for him the evidence is clearly to the contrary. When he left Exeter a load came with him to here, and now he's gone to Bristol a host of his ex players couldn't wait to join up with him again. For every 1 he may have upset there are 5 or 6 that can't wait to play for the guy.

I don't read too much in that interview where he disrespects TUFC if anything, in all honesty I don't expect to read an arse kissing interview about his former club when it's in a Bristol paper. Their readers don't want to read that, i'm sure if someone from Torquay did an interview with him you might get your Thanks message.

Players move on all the time, there's no loyalty within football only with the fans of the club, everyone else is an employee on a limited timescale and they have to try and make as much cash as possible in that time. If you get offered double your wages at a bigger company you'd be off in a heartbeat, football is no different.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

royalgull wrote:I don't, i think you're reading too much into it if you think that the day after Stevenage he's literally itching to get away, he just wants to work for Paul Buckle again. .
A bit of a contradiction?
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Very disrespectful to a club that has stuck by him through some hard times. Think Zebroski was lucky to even still be at the club after events last season, and for that he should be thanking TUFC!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Did Bucks leave the day after the game? Can't remember to be honest, i know it wasn't very long after.

Even so no I don't think Zebroski would have been 'planning' his next move straight after we'd lost the game as you've put in your post. As if they didn't care at all about losing that day. Once Buckle had moved to Rovers it was pretty much nailed on a few would go with him Zebroski being one just because Bucks clearly rates him, he clearly does get the best out of him and while it's a good move for Zebs it's also an easy one. Host of players he knows, manager he knows, club thats expected to do well, less travel for matches home and away and he'll be on more money. It is like he says, a no brainer.

I'm just not buying any of this 'back stabbing' turncoat' nonsense I've read on here because some people want to try and better themselves both financially and professionally.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i don't doubt for a second, that Zeb was thinking about Rovers BEFORE the stevenage game. Buckle knew he was going, and i wouldn't be at all surprised if he'd already suggested a move to his mate Zeb early doors. clearly there were early offers from Rovers for him, which we turned down, but once the transfer request went in, to give Ling the best chance of replacing him, they had to get the deal done quickly.

quite frankly, i've had enough, they've both gone, i never liked Buckle, didn't rate Zeb as highly as some other TUFC fans (always thought i was in the minority, but i just found him incredibly frustrating). i'm not saying he's not a good player, and i'd rather he stayed to be honest, but he just didn't rock my world, particularly as Buckle never wanted to sub him, even when he was dire. i wonder how long the gas fans will put up with that aspect.

both have shown a great deal of disrespect to the club, and as said above, they're a little match made in heaven, i hope they'll both be very happy.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

royalgull wrote:Did Bucks leave the day after the game? Can't remember to be honest, i know it wasn't very long after.

Even so no I don't think Zebroski would have been 'planning' his next move straight after we'd lost the game as you've put in your post. As if they didn't care at all about losing that day. Once Buckle had moved to Rovers it was pretty much nailed on a few would go with him Zebroski being one just because Bucks clearly rates him, he clearly does get the best out of him and while it's a good move for Zebs it's also an easy one. Host of players he knows, manager he knows, club thats expected to do well, less travel for matches home and away and he'll be on more money. It is like he says, a no brainer.

I'm just not buying any of this 'back stabbing' turncoat' nonsense I've read on here because some people want to try and better themselves both financially and professionally.
The game was on the Saturday and yes Buckle did agree to sign on the Sunday - it was in the press (online) on Monday.

With respect nowhere did I say he (Zebroski) was planning his move right after the game and neither did I say he didn't care at all about losing that day ???? Show me where I said that!!! Neither am I accusing him of "backstabbing turncoat nonsense" .... jeez, READ THE POST!

What I am saying is that within 24 hours of losing that match Zebroski had apparently (according to him) made his mind up that he wanted away from TUFC and that comments like "show me where to sign" are just crass, ungrateful and disrespectful to his former employers.

Neither do I want to blame him for wanting to better himself (and his family) although I seriously doubt he is "doubling his wages". I just think that a little more respect could have been shown. By all means say that he is pleased with the move, pleased to work with Paul Buckle again, pleased that it's a move closer to home, pleased with the status and ambition of his new club - he can say all those things in my book but the comments that he made his mind up to sign for BRFC within 24 hours of losing that match and stupid comments like "show me where to sign" ARE unnecessary and disrespectful .
Last edited by CP Gull on 06 Jul 2011, 10:32, edited 3 times in total.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Y ou can't really blame Zebroski for the Crawley loss either, that goes entirely to Buckle for his bizarre 4-5-1 with the smallest person on the pitch upfront on his own. Zebroski didn't help matters I agree with you on that one.

I can understand your disappointment because TUFC have done so much for him & there's obviously no loyalty whatsoever. But that's football CP.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Boom Boom wrote:Y ou can't really blame Zebroski for the Crawley loss either, that goes entirely to Buckle for his bizarre 4-5-1 with the smallest person on the pitch upfront on his own. Zebroski didn't help matters I agree with you on that one.

I can understand your disappointment because TUFC have done so much for him & there's obviously no loyalty whatsoever. But that's football CP.
I'm not "blaming him for the Crawley loss" but the fact is that he didn't play well on the day and he was responsible for seeing us go down to 10 men and he gave away a penalty - which certainly didn't help on the day!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Disgraceful and disrespectful comments from Zebroski - nothing short of that. He could have said a number of things other than this which would not have fuelled the fire but choose these? why?

He has lost all respect from me. Family reason then? - feck off Zeb you arrogant prick.
Last edited by Richinns on 06 Jul 2011, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

I said back stabber turncoat nonsense i've read on here, didn't say it was in your post. Those were words i plucked from other threads i've read on here over the last day or so about this episode.

Again though you say while fans are making their disappointed way home he's thinking about his next pay cheque, I think it's probably more to do with Bucks has gone, this teams chances have gone I hope he wants to take me with him. Then when they've declared their interest he's thought thanks very much. I don't see that being wrong or disrespectful just honest more than anything.

All how you take what he's said, you can either get offended or just accept he's talking about his future in a Bristol paper read by their fans who want to hear about his wishes for Bristol Rovers and not about his past.

(I do agree with you about Crawley, i made the point yesterday I was never his biggest fan as a player and when we REALLY needed him, he played like a to$$er)
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

royalgull wrote:I said back stabber turncoat nonsense i've read on here, didn't say it was in your post. Those were words i plucked from other threads i've read on here over the last day or so about this episode.

Again though you say while fans are making their disappointed way home he's thinking about his next pay cheque, I think it's probably more to do with Bucks has gone, this teams chances have gone I hope he wants to take me with him. Then when they've declared their interest he's thought thanks very much. I don't see that being wrong or disrespectful just honest more than anything.

All how you take what he's said, you can either get offended or just accept he's talking about his future in a Bristol paper read by their fans who want to hear about his wishes for Bristol Rovers and not about his past.

(I do agree with you about Crawley, i made the point yesterday I was never his biggest fan as a player and when we REALLY needed him, he played like a to$$er)
It's not just in a Bristol paper though is it?

I'm twice Zebroski's age and even I know that in this day and age when a footballer does a press conference like this it's all over the place not just in the local rag -times have moved on. Anyway those same quotes do appear in today's Herald Express as well !

I suppose my main gripe is the choice of language he has used - knowing that it would be broadcast all over. I don't doubt for one minute that literally as soon as he knew Buckle had jot the job (the day after our P/O Final defeat as it happened) he knew that a move was likely and he knew that it would probably mean a better all round "deal" for him - it's just he needn't (and in my mind at least shouldn't) have been so disrespectful and should have chosen his words more carefully.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Clearly a copy and paste job though with regards to his comments. Like i said if you got someone from TUFC or the HErald to sit down with him I'm sure you'd get your thanks message back followed by 'it was the right time to move on etc'

Fair comments, I also agree with the bit that once Bucks had gone he would have thought 'i hope he takes me with him'. Once somebody has left and isn't paid by TUFC anymore they can do or say whatever they like in all honesty, i couldn't care what he thinks/says. Did a good job for us, shame he's gone but we'll move on.

Also footballers aren't the brightest sparks in the world and I'm sure he probably didn't do that interview with any malice or disrespect to Torquay intended, maybe like you say he could have chosen his words better but maybe you're thinking too highly of someone like Zebs intelligence to do so. :-D