Ambition (again)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

So we're spending money to build on infrastructure, refusing to pay fortunes for players, and selling our assets whenever a bid comes in (sometimes to our nearest rivals.)

Wait a minute....that makes us Arsenal!

Seriously, it's great that we *appear* to making strides off the field - although my own impression is that we could be doing more marketing and community stuff to get people interested - but at some point we're going to have to be able to say "Ok, we've done what we can for the business side, let's make a good football team". Otherwise we're not going to go anywhere.

My worry would be what it has been for year - people in the South Devon assume we have no 'ambition' or that we're happy in the FL basement, so they won't come. Telling people about a grandstand isn't going to get them to show up.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

The club has the ambition to do well, but they are being realistic with the resorces we have. The club is slowly rebuilding from the dark days of the BSP. A new grandstand and training ground will do a lot of good for our club.

Last season i traveled down from cardiff for loads of home games which was more of an away game for me. Now back in Somerset its not so far but still a little way to travel. Just anouys me some people who live in the area wont bother. The fasn who say they wont come because we have no abition make me laugh, if they came and turned up and we got 3-4 thousand fans a game we could have more money to spend on moving the club up.

Its not just the club who need the amition and comitment, it is also needed from fans to help the club with this. Well done to the fans who go week in and also the fans like me who travel lost distance to support the club. :scarf:

(mind my spelling i cant spell :( )
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

happytorq wrote:So we're spending money to build on infrastructure, refusing to pay fortunes for players, and selling our assets whenever a bid comes in (sometimes to our nearest rivals.)

Wait a minute....that makes us Arsenal!

Seriously, it's great that we *appear* to making strides off the field - although my own impression is that we could be doing more marketing and community stuff to get people interested - but at some point we're going to have to be able to say "Ok, we've done what we can for the business side, let's make a good football team". Otherwise we're not going to go anywhere.

My worry would be what it has been for year - people in the South Devon assume we have no 'ambition' or that we're happy in the FL basement, so they won't come. Telling people about a grandstand isn't going to get them to show up.
Didn't work for Darlington did it. The promotion in the Torabay community is not even poor at best.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

I think the Club is appearing realistic about the forthcoming Season rather than encouraging baseless ambition. Yes of course Argyle looked & sounded far more ambitious than a lot of Clubs what with their 'Blueprint for the premier league' or whatever it was called. But sometimes a more realistic assessment of your circumstances & resources pays greater dividends in the long run.

The progress graph rarely rises in an unbroken upward line, things will level out occasionally or even take a slight dip along the way. Improvement season on season, every time without exception would be nice, but sometimes circumstances just dictate it's not possible. Losing so many key members from a settled line up, finances that aren't altogether rosey, & the disruption & cost of a new grandstand will all take their toll. Lots of new players settling in, a new manager & Coach settling in, it's more a period of everyone finding their feet, consolidating on what's been achieved, & then pushing on again when conditions are more favourable.

I'm all for ambition, but when it manifests itself as unreasonable expectations it can be a hinderance rather than a help.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Alpine Joe wrote:I think the Club is appearing realistic about the forthcoming Season rather than encouraging baseless ambition. Yes of course Argyle looked & sounded far more ambitious than a lot of Clubs what with their 'Blueprint for the premier league' or whatever it was called. But sometimes a more realistic assessment of your circumstances & resources pays greater dividends in the long run.

The progress graph rarely rises in an unbroken upward line, things will level out occasionally or even take a slight dip along the way. Improvement season on season, every time without exception would be nice, but sometimes circumstances just dictate it's not possible. Losing so many key members from a settled line up, finances that aren't altogether rosey, & the disruption & cost of a new grandstand will all take their toll. Lots of new players settling in, a new manager & Coach settling in, it's more a period of everyone finding their feet, consolidating on what's been achieved, & then pushing on again when conditions are more favourable.

I'm all for ambition, but when it manifests itself as unreasonable expectations it can be a hinderance rather than a help.
Excellent summary, fully agree.
claw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by claw »

At the end of day when supporting Torquay united you have to be realistic. Theres going to be plently of ups and plenty of downs some days look good
others look bad, but that is what you get in supporting a league two club. Which to me is the best bit
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Ambition.

Mmmm.

For the downtrodden (the trodden on), the ambition is not to be trodden on any deeper in to the sh't.

Without exception, all are in the sh't. At waist level, at least one is able to steadily wade through it. Then there's up to the neck in it. Smell it ?

Sh't is sh't and smells regardless of the level of its depth. Don't ever let it go over the head.

Then there's walking on shit/walking all over sh't and not forgetting those fully immersed.

Why is it that those who spend their time fully immersed in it and only surface for gulps of air, come up smelling of roses ?

It only appears that way because eyes and ears can be fooled. The nostrils on the front of the face tells the truth : when it smells like sh't it is sh't.

Here's to another season in the sh't and another successful wade through. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"