Championship striker

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Well we are talking to a few strikers according to the Paper...So Fallon could be one of the others...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I wouldn't be against us signing Rory Fallon. He would certainly provide options but I have a feeling he would be out of our price range.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

hector wrote:I wouldn't be against us signing Rory Fallon. He would certainly provide options but I have a feeling he would be out of our price range.
At least he would get paid :lol:
But i cant see why Ling would meet him in London if it was him.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I,m 99% confident it won't be Rory Fallon as i heard him do an interview with Talksport a few days ago about his career and the problems at Argyle and he as good as said he is looking for another championship club to play for ideally. He would also be out of Torquays wage structure. If Rose were to come back to Plainmoor then it would be an extra body but not very inspiring IMO. A bit like many of you feel. Hopefully we will have somebody revealed soon. :keepie:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

now fallon i would love!!

cant see him staying in league 2 though.

is he out of contract>?
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

CP Gull wrote: I agree. The very fact that we tried for Sendoza has raised my expectations somewhat as to the calibre of player we may be looking at.

I'm not suggesting that any of these are necessarily realistic but if it was to be a "marquee" signing then there are a few "names" who are currently free agents that we could be looking at ...

Steve Brooker (Doncaster); Chris Porter and Michael Boulding (Derby); Pablo Counago (Crystal Palace) and as mentioned above David Mooney (Reading) would all be quality signings at this level I reckon but none of them would come particularly cheap albeit there would be no transfer fee involved. That said we have offloaded our top earner (Zebs) and (presumably) we also have some, if not all, of the transfer fee to add back into the budget.
Sendoza is a quality little player, I would be surprised if he dropped down to leahue 2, I am sure a lot of league 1 clubs would have a place for him.

I dont think Pablo Counago will get out of bed to play for Torquay, No offence but he wont drop down to League 2 in a million years.

Steve Brooker was a quality league 1 striker when he was at The Sh*t, but a jail sentence and his lack of fitness have made him half the player he used to be, would still be decent at League 2 level though.

We were interested in David Mooney last year, and has proved that he is good at League 1 level, I doubt he would consider dropping down to League 2 either.

I dont know a lot about the Derdy duo.

"A Championship striker" that Ling has quoted will probably not be a household name and would probably be a guy that has had the odd sperodic appearance here and there and the odd cup game.

Also Trollope wanted to sign Rory Fallon last season too, and he wanted extortianate wages. He is sh*t from what I have seen of him and doesn't score goals. I think League 2 is his level, but he thinks he is better than he actualy is.

I think Romone Rose or Bell-Baggie that have been mentioned will be far more realistic.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

Could be a youngster from a championship side, will be intresting to see who Ling does bring in.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Just on a note from the paper which mentioned talking to a few other players that he's been talking to. Anyone else think Max Grigg (I think thats his name) could be one from Walsall? On a loan deal rather than permamant. I wouldnt at all be surprised if one was at Walsall last year since Ling was there last year and he'll be good friends with there manager..Since they were manager/assistant manager at Orient.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

Wheres Teeboo... Come out, come out where ever you are :lol: Teeboo any idea who it could be. For once i have no idea and i dont like it :|
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Romone Rose is too like Carayol for my liking, he'll be awful for 1 and a 1/2 years then turn it on for the second half of his last year and then walk out for a measly compensation figure.

Also I'm pretty sure that Bell-Baggie is a winger.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Warwickgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: HOWE

Post by Warwickgull »

yellowsmiffy wrote: Fallon is a league 2 player, but I reckon that move on loan to Ipswich has fooled him into thinking that he is actually worthy of that level of football. Doesn't score goals in CCC/L1
Exactly my feelings on Fallon mate thats why I put his name in the hat. Would be a bit of a coup if he signed for us, anyone know if he lives in the area??? The only other thing I know of Fallon at this moment in time is that he is on holiday with family in Europe. Anyone see Fallon on an Easy Jet back into the London area over the last few days???

Lingy does look a bit like a chauffeur!!

I can just picture Ling waiting at Stanstead for him with a MR FALLON sign :rules: :rules: :rules:
Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just dont have film.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Didn't see much of Romone Rose, but from what I did see of him he was too lazy for my liking. Got a feeling that we are going to need some hard working characters this season and he isn't the type for me. Looked to have some ability, and I would much prefer him to any of our other wingers, but I still think we can do better.

As for strikers, Brooker is a good shout. Didn't know he spent some time in jail. What was it for!? All the others seem way above what we will be looking at. If we signed Porter i'd be over the moon. Really like that player.

Fallon is a league 2 player, but I reckon that move on loan to Ipswich has fooled him into thinking that he is actually worthy of that level of football. Doesn't score goals in CCC/L1

Just remember Billy Kee was a championship player 2 years ago... certainly more likely to be someone like him.
When he was at C*ty, he glassed somebody and broke his jaw in a fight in Clifton, very much like our own David Pipe and likewise spent time in the slammer.

That is why I had reservations about Zebroski signing for us,with his history.

As players at both clubs in Bristol have had problems after binging in the city.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Having had a little trawl on the givemefootball list (again - it seems I do little else at work than check out here and that list) only a couple of players stood out for me.

One, as mentioned on here, is Steve Brooker. Wasn't aware that he'd spent time at her majesty's pleasure, but knew he'd been injured. Given that he's probably not as mobile as he once was (and never really was anyway), maybe he'd be pitching at L2 level. I'd be happy if it was - a real grizzly battering ram of a centre forward is always good to have - but I'd guess that he wouldn't come cheap.

The only other player I could see who'd "played" at championship level last season (he made 1 appearance, that was how I interpreted the article) and potentially within our scope is Paris Cowan-Hall. Ex Pompey, was at Scunthorpe last season but had a brief loan spell in the BSP. Suggests he'd be realistic, but don't know much about him. The only other player I would consider as being realistic is Rene Howe, who didn't play in the Championship but did have a spell at the Gas towards the end of the season. Get the impression he comes with an average-to-poor reputation from his previous clubs though.

It is refreshing to see we have gone in for Sandaza though, obviously a good player who wasn't quite good enough for a very good Brighton side - although he was kept out of the side by Ashley Barnes! At least it shows a bit if ambition even if we are blown out of the water by St Johnstones offer.

EDIT - note to self, Paris Cowan-Hall scored on trial for Gillingham tonight. Given that Ling was in London area over the weekend discussing with a potential signing, not sure whether this adds weight or discredits my theory
Last edited by Jeff on 12 Jul 2011, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by AlexGulls »

Cowan-Hall is on trial at Gillingham I believe sure I read somewhere he scored in there friendly.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

You mean Will Grigg Alexgulls? He's one for the future apparently. He did score a couple in League One last season.