Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote: He bloody was! :nod:

Matt.
:nod:
Last edited by Richinns on 13 Jul 2011, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
claw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by claw »

Martin Horsell anyone?
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

ferrarilover wrote: He bloody was! :nod:

Matt.
He wasnt that bad, he wasnt great but i have seen a lot worse goal keepers than him. Im happy to say hes way better than he was anyways.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

As I said when this idea was originally mooted, I’m not in the least bit bothered. He’s not a particularly good keeper – but he is perfect ‘number 2’ material (no pun intended). Olejnik is our first choice keeper. When fit, he will play. Signing another decent/expensive keeper would represent a waste of money. Save the budget to improve those parts of the first 11 that need improvement. If Olejnik gets injured, bring in a loanee. The most Rice should ever need to play is the remainder of any game Olejnik gets injured in. I think we can trust him to play 45 minutes. Sensible decision for me.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

Fonda wrote:As I said when this idea was originally mooted, I’m not in the least bit bothered. He’s not a particularly good keeper – but he is perfect ‘number 2’ material (no pun intended). Olejnik is our first choice keeper. When fit, he will play. Signing another decent/expensive keeper would represent a waste of money. Save the budget to improve those parts of the first 11 that need improvement. If Olejnik gets injured, bring in a loanee. The most Rice should ever need to play is the remainder of any game Olejnik gets injured in. I think we can trust him to play 45 minutes. Sensible decision for me.
:-D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I keep telling you, Tim Sills is the answer. He only ever conceded one goal, he was here for 2.5 years.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote:As I said when this idea was originally mooted, I’m not in the least bit bothered. He’s not a particularly good keeper – but he is perfect ‘number 2’ material (no pun intended). Olejnik is our first choice keeper. When fit, he will play. Signing another decent/expensive keeper would represent a waste of money. Save the budget to improve those parts of the first 11 that need improvement. If Olejnik gets injured, bring in a loanee. The most Rice should ever need to play is the remainder of any game Olejnik gets injured in. I think we can trust him to play 45 minutes. Sensible decision for me.
Yep, when you put it like that it makes sense.

The thing I am most looking forward is brucie's reaction!
TUST member 328
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I look at like this have 2 OK-good goalies with budget spread between them or a a very good gk and a poor-OK gk with most of the budget on the 1st choice. Goalies rarely get injured :rofl: so I am ok with rice as a backup
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

:engflag:
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Re-signing McPhee and (possibly) Rice, but turning down the chance to bring Russell back to the club is certainly an interesting way for Ling to try and endear himself to us! :~D

Regarding Rice, as Fonda alludes to, it's important to distinguish between our goalkeeping situation last year and this. Unlike Bevan, there's nothing to suggest Olejnik will miss many games through injury (cue a broken arm at Tivvy tonight!), so Rice's involvement is likely to be in training and the JPT. I'd probably have preferred us to sign a promising kid in the Horsell-mould, but the strikers we sign before 6 August is a far more important issue.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Chris B wrote:Re-signing McPhee and (possibly) Rice, but turning down the chance to bring Russell back to the club is certainly an interesting way for Ling to try and endear himself to us! :~D

Regarding Rice, as Fonda alludes to, it's important to distinguish between our goalkeeping situation last year and this. Unlike Bevan, there's nothing to suggest Olejnik will miss many games through injury (cue a broken arm at Tivvy tonight!), so Rice's involvement is likely to be in training and the JPT. I'd probably have preferred us to sign a promising kid in the Horsell-mould, but the strikers we sign before 6 August is a far more important issue.
I heard we are sniffing around Lee Phillips :lol:
TUST member 328
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

usagullmichigan wrote:Goalies rarely get injured
I really hope that's the case here. To pick up an injury pre season and start with the second choice (in any position) is never an ideal situation.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by tufcbrett »

The main problem is, to find someone who will sit on the bench as a number 2. Not many keepers will do that, most would rather drop down a level to get first team football.

If Martin is happy to train, play in the reserves, help with the warm up with Bobby, sit on the bench and pick up his small wage packet every week then we cant fault the guy.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

tufcbrett wrote:The main problem is, to find someone who will sit on the bench as a number 2. Not many keepers will do that, most would rather drop down a level to get first team football.

If Martin is happy to train, play in the reserves, help with the warm up with Bobby, sit on the bench and pick up his small wage packet every week then we cant fault the guy.
Small wage packet? I wouldn't mind £26k a year to play football!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I would, Id sit on the bench for 26 large, but not actually play.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"