Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

I think given our budget a signing like this one is/was inevitable. But to be honest I would hope most people will consider that both McPhee and Rice have spent time away from the club and are unlikely to be carbon copies of the players they were. I am not suggesting for a second they should walk into the team, nor are they really exciting signings, but both should get a fair chance to impress, just as a completely new face would.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Richinns wrote: Dave - I was pretty sure you are far from his biggest fan from previous posts you have made?

You're quite correct, Rich, but only last week I made my feelings quite clear on how and why he will have improved. Don't listen to Brucie who still assumes he will be the same keeper as he was when here last time. Since then he's had to face looking at a failed football career, look for a job outside of football, and reflect on why he didn't make it. He's performed well for a team who have won promotion and his confidence will have risen enormously. Confidence in keepers can't be bought, it's a priceless commodity and I know that from personal experience.

Allied to those facts are the costs, he won't be expensive, he won't make a dent in the budget allowing some quality elsewhere, and we know he won't throw his toys out of the pram if he is indeed second choice. In our position it really is a no-brainer to take him back and good luck to the fella.
bobby93 wrote:I think given our budget a signing like this one is/was inevitable. But to be honest I would hope most people will consider that both McPhee and Rice have spent time away from the club and are unlikely to be carbon copies of the players they were. I am not suggesting for a second they should walk into the team, nor are they really exciting signings, but both should get a fair chance to impress, just as a completely new face would.

Perfect response, Bobby.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Martin rice wa in the stand with some of the players this evening
The gulls are going up
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

No problem with Rice back, apparently he's not done too badly for Truro, and he'll only be backup.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The notion that the likes of Mcphee and Rice morphing into proper footballers since they have been away is a fanciful one.
On last nights evidence Mcphee looked like he had never been away - he was useless.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:The notion that the likes of Mcphee and Rice morphing into proper footballers since they have been away is a fanciful one.
On last nights evidence Mcphee looked like he had never been away - he was useless.
Who was anything but useless last night according to you brucie???
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:The notion that the likes of Mcphee and Rice morphing into proper footballers since they have been away is a fanciful one.
Yawn.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
claw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by claw »

Mog..that is all
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

claw wrote: Mog..that is all
Mog?
What the hell is mog?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
claw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by claw »

Richinns wrote: Mog?
What the hell is mog?
Argh Mog is basically the type of person that could say win 160 odd million on the euromillions and still find something to b*tch about

calculation below :B

M.O.G. = Moaning Old Git
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

There was a time last season when Rive was not even first choice for Truro. he has not been performing admirably and many of Truro's match reports are punctuated with characteristic Rice errors.

If you have Rice in goal, then face it...you need to score at least 2 to win as he is likely to produce an error. That was at Conference and Conference South level. Simply because he has 'been away' for a season and a bit, it does not make him an adequate keeper. There must be plenty of keepers available. Why go for one who is crap?
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

hector wrote:There was a time last season when Rive was not even first choice for Truro. he has not been performing admirably and many of Truro's match reports are punctuated with characteristic Rice errors.

If you have Rice in goal, then face it...you need to score at least 2 to win as he is likely to produce an error. That was at Conference and Conference South level. Simply because he has 'been away' for a season and a bit, it does not make him an adequate keeper. There must be plenty of keepers available. Why go for one who is crap?
Maybe there is no plans to play him inless he has to during a game. Then if Bobby is out for awhile then a loan guy comes in. Sadly most teams wont let a keeper go on loan to sit on the bench, so a cheap back up who will hardly get a game is not a bad thing. Whos to say we buy someone else who is young and from non league and there be any better.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I like this signing. He'll be cheap, he's happy to sit on the bench, he knows the club and is happy to be here, and will do a job if he needs to. He'll possibly never be good enough to be a regular number one at this level, but very few teams have two goalkeepers who are both capable of doing the job all the time. Even top teams choose a clear number one and someone as back-up who they wouldn't necessarily want to use for a long period of time but will if they have to. In our case I think if Bobby gets injured, Rice will possibly have a couple of games at most and we'll look to get loan cover in for first choice.

I would love us to be able to afford two players in goal who can both be ceditable number ones but we'll never be in that position and it makes sense to save money here and use it elsewhere, or as we have possibly done, on extra wages for our first choice keeper.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

So, Brucie and Hector decide Rice is crap without seeing him perform for over 2 seasons?

He was first choice for Truro last season and that side won promotion to the Conference. Perhaps either of you two would like to come up with a name and one that would be happy to bide his time sitting on the bench and still train hard when not exactly emptying the coffers of the little money left in them. So chaps, lets see what names you can come up with who fit the criteria set out by our Club when looking for a second keeper.

When he was here before, we were building a side to secure promotion. When Potter was here last season i always felt, and so did the management, that we were capable of getting promoted. To that end I wasn't impressed with Potter. This season is a totally different prospect, we're aiming to stay in this division and consolidate, do you think our budget is such that we could sign a keeper of the calibre of Michael Poke? No, it's such that we had to look at a keeper with less experience, costing less money and someone that won;t throw his toys out of the pram. Rice fits the bill perfectly and anyone who can't see that is being totally unrealistic. Martin Rice will only have a problem if he gets into the team and some numbnuts decide to barrack him. Get behind him, encourage him, give him some confidence and then we might finally see the best of Martin Rice.
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:So, Brucie and Hector decide Rice is crap without seeing him perform for over 2 seasons?

He was first choice for Truro last season and that side won promotion to the Conference. Perhaps either of you two would like to come up with a name and one that would be happy to bide his time sitting on the bench and still train hard when not exactly emptying the coffers of the little money left in them. So chaps, lets see what names you can come up with who fit the criteria set out by our Club when looking for a second keeper.

When he was here before, we were building a side to secure promotion. When Potter was here last season i always felt, and so did the management, that we were capable of getting promoted. To that end I wasn't impressed with Potter. This season is a totally different prospect, we're aiming to stay in this division and consolidate, do you think our budget is such that we could sign a keeper of the calibre of Michael Poke? No, it's such that we had to look at a keeper with less experience, costing less money and someone that won;t throw his toys out of the pram. Rice fits the bill perfectly and anyone who can't see that is being totally unrealistic. Martin Rice will only have a problem if he gets into the team and some numbnuts decide to barrack him. Get behind him, encourage him, give him some confidence and then we might finally see the best of Martin Rice.

^^^^^^^^ Agree. :nod:

Some on here say Martin Rice is weak on crosses. Raynor, Poke, Bevan and Potter were/are past masters of it then ?

I for one won't be on Martin Rice's case. For starters, I'll be fully occupied with giving Danny Stevens "encouragement". :@ :rofl:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"