PSF: Torquay United vs Bristol City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

PSF: Torquay United vs Bristol City

Post by Plymouth Gull »

This game will be the first since we outplayed Shrewsbury back in mid-May to be played on the hallow turf at Plainmoor, and as we all know, so much has changed since then - I'll thank Matt for mentioning everything on the Tivvy thread. Are many people going along, to see how we fare against the highest placed side in the Westcountry, in Bristol City. City are the one remaining South West team in the Championship, having held their own while Plymouth Argyle sank down and down again. We played Bristol City last pre-season at Plainmoor, and came out victorious.

GULLS NEWS.

Since Matt covered most of it, I can only add that Rene Howe has joined the club, so lets hope he gets a piece of the action on Saturday.

THE OPPOSITION.

Keith Millen has made 3 signings so far this summer. Yannick Bolasie has joined from Argyle, Ryan Taylor from Rotherham and Neil Kilkenny from Leeds. 5 players have left, Stephen Hendersen perhaps the biggest person to leave, but everyone else moved on without a fee. There is a lot of speculation about Nicky Maynard moving on, but no move has happened yet, so he is still a Robin, for now.

Millen lead his side to a 16th placed finish in the Championship, on 41 points, which could be seen as a disappointment after a 10th placed finish the season before.

WHO TO WATCH.

Last seasons leading scorer was Brett Pitman, who troubled us for Bournemouth in 2009/10. Also, Albert Adomah is a tricky winger and Bolasie on the other side can cause problems. I doubt it'll be a full strength side that Millen puts out, but I'd expect alot of key players to play some part for City on Saturday.

---------

I'm sorry for the poor detail levels in this, but it's a 5 minute job before I go out. This is also my first/last thread until the Southampton/Bristol games in August so I leave Matt with the honour of doing the rest of the threads. Also, now he's a mod he can edit/improve this with any further information that he feels necessary.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thanks Nick. :clap:

As for a "poor job", don't beat yourself up mate, it's only a pre season friendly.

As BC are playing Argyle the night before, it will be interesting to see the strength of the side they put out on the Saturday. :|
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Nice one Nick, you've done the donkey work of finding out the facts of the opposition and, as Troj says, it's just a PSF, so we don't need to go too mad.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

City have already announce the side they will be fielding tomorrow:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 92,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the sides for our game and the Argyle one are both pretty strong.
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Do any of you Gulls fans who go to games by rail know if there is a bus direct from the station to the ground?
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Seems like City are doing similar to most teams except they are spreading it over 2 games. I expect some of the players playing against you tomorrow will get 20 minutes tonight against Plymouth and vice versa in your game.Quite a good idea really as playing two completely different teams in two halves can really disrupt a performance. We found this last night against Inverness where they kept the same side and made a few second half subs whereas we changed eight at half time. What are Torquay doing? Are you playing a different team each half?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Different team each half in the one so far, it'll probably be the same tomorrow too. Should be a good game anyway.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kinky John Fowler wrote:Do any of you Gulls fans who go to games by rail know if there is a bus direct from the station to the ground?
No there isn't. It's a fair old trek from the station, so a taxi is your best bet (probably about a fiver).
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Kinky John Fowler wrote:Do any of you Gulls fans who go to games by rail know if there is a bus direct from the station to the ground?
Easiest walk is from Torre station rather than Torquay, i've walked both routes, if you get there in plenty of time it's a nice walk from Torquay station down the front and back up but if you aren't sure where you're going and just want to get to the ground then ring for a cab, about £5 or so.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

15mins ish from Torre

or a £5 from Torquay proper

i'd save your fiver and spend it in the boots and laces personally - that's what I do.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The Gashead landlord (Geoff) of the Union Inn in Plainmoor (the district) welcomes all well behaved away supporters. However, the last time City were down for a serious match, he boarded up the place and went away for the weekend. :rofl:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Cheers for the info Jerry, Royalgull and Russiangull

My Mother in Law ( :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: ) has got a bugalow in Shiphay and she reckons its about a mile from Torre station but it sounds like the taxi's are great value in Torquay. Some mates of mine have already gone down for both games but Im on night shifts tonight and tomorrow so Im going to have to see how I feel.

I think you d*cked us 3-0 last year :'(

Go a bit easier on us tomorrow otherwise some on our forum will go into negative vibe overdrive :-D
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Trojan 67 wrote: The Gashead landlord (Geoff) of the Union Inn in Plainmoor (the district) welcomes all well behaved away supporters. However, the last time City were down for a serious match, he boarded up the place and went away for the weekend. :rofl:
:lol: We have that effect on a few Gasheads for some reason. We wont be any trouble tomorrow, best behaviour =D .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Kinky John Fowler wrote: We wont be any trouble tomorrow, best behaviour =D .

When we last played you in a League game at your place, I was leaving the ground with my young son and he started singing "Torquay till I die" right in front of a load of City fans. There was a group of about a dozen skinheads who dwarfed me (and I'm not small) and within a few seconds they crossed the road towards us. I was getting ready for a serious fight and out of the blue, one of them pats my son on the head and said "Fair play kid, don't ever stop singing for your team", cue relief but respect for a group of lads who showed some class. I've been to a lot of so-called less intimidating grounds with my kids and had to fear for their safety. I've always had a soft spot for City, from way back when Chris Garland was playing for you.
Dave

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'll be there, looking forward to it. Us and Bristol City have something in common now, we both hate Rovers! :-D :lol:

- I remember the time we played Bristol City on the first game of the season in the 2004/2005 season. We totally packed out the away end and it was a great day! Also remember playing football before the game on a little part of grass outside of a pub with other Bristol City fans. A great laugh and the Bristol City fans were very friendly.

Sadly couldn't be at the Tivvy game so looking forward to seeing the new boys in action! :-D
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.