Martin Rice

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Rjc70 wrote:You seem to be overlooking a great deal of evidence in the case of McPhee that points to the contrary, hector.
"Evidence" is the key word here. The "evidence" used to beat up Rice (and McPhee) by two of the "we're all doomed/woe, woe and thrice woe" brigade is, at best, old/out of date/irrelevant or, at worst, blind prejudice. We hear too much blind prejudice on this forum.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

hector - you didn't raise the same concern when Leadbitter explained it was his agent who had called Ling about joining us. Our manager's willingness to listen to and trust his coaching staff is surely a positive. Who knows, Ling may've even consulted Taylor on what he knew about Rice.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I guess Leadbitter has a reasonable pedigree coming from Newcastle United and has not been here before and been awful.

I wonder then...if it is Veysey, recommending Rice to Ling as some on here are so eager to believe, why it was our previous manager did not rate Rice enough to keep him, when his goaly coach is - by all accounts - such a big fan.

Face the likely truth. They want a back-up goaly and Rice is available and cheap...in essence...he will do. Is a poor keeper but what has ability got to do with it, if you are happy to be paid a pittance. Penny-wise and pound foolish here. I agree with a previous poster who suggested signing a younger keeper who has a hint of promise about him. Rice is never going to make it as a league keeper. It is a waste of money the club is sugggesting it does not have.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think it's fair to say Buckle has his own ideas, and his ego would not allow him to take advice from others. Added to which, he very obviously had a bigger budget, which is why we were able to have Poke and Bevan here at the same time previously.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

hector wrote:I guess Leadbitter has a reasonable pedigree coming from Newcastle United and has not been here before and been awful.

I wonder then...if it is Veysey, recommending Rice to Ling as some on here are so eager to believe, why it was our previous manager did not rate Rice enough to keep him, when his goaly coach is - by all accounts - such a big fan.

Face the likely truth. They want a back-up goaly and Rice is available and cheap...in essence...he will do. Is a poor keeper but what has ability got to do with it, if you are happy to be paid a pittance. Penny-wise and pound foolish here. I agree with a previous poster who suggested signing a younger keeper who has a hint of promise about him. Rice is never going to make it as a league keeper. It is a waste of money the club is sugggesting it does not have.

What a load of nonsense. Your "assumptions" are bordering on the ridiculous. Still, I suppose when your point of view is being slaughtered at every corner what choice do you have but to write a load of tosh in reply ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

After watching ricey yesterday i have more confidence in him then i did when he re-signed,he got off the ground sharply to tip over a well struck shot into the top corner,stopped a one on one,and got down well to make a couple of regulation saves to his right hand side,and most important his handerling was spot on,he held everything,unlike the former England keeper up the other end.

Yep there was a few scary moments,and a bit of heads,shoulders ,knee's and toe's from Ricey,however,i will not be so worried if he had come of the bench after watching him yesterday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hector is completely right. Had Rice or Mcphee signed for Plymouth everyone on here would have been pissing themselves, yet everyone now tries to justify their signings by stating that the players have improved.
Players that normally end up at Truro from Torquay (such as Adams,Hockley and Hodges) do so for a reason ie they are past the sell by date as football league players. How many of these players then go back to a football league club?
Anyone who saw Rice play in goal when he was here before must have a very short memory if they want him back.
claw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by claw »

brucie wrote:Hector is completely right. Had Rice or Mcphee signed for Plymouth everyone on here would have been pissing themselves, yet everyone now tries to justify their signings by stating that the players have improved.
Players that normally end up at Truro from Torquay (such as Adams,Hockley and Hodges) do so for a reason ie they are past the sell by date as football league players. How many of these players then go back to a football league club?
Anyone who saw Rice play in goal when he was here before must have a very short memory if they want him back.

How can you justify breaking the budget for a second string goalkeeper who is hardly going to play a game????

What difference does it make if we have Rice as backup or some unknown 18 year old who has never played first team football ?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

brucie wrote:Hector is completely right. Had Rice or Mcphee signed for Plymouth everyone on here would have been pissing themselves, yet everyone now tries to justify their signings by stating that the players have improved.
If only, IF ONLY, it were somehow possible for people to do something, repeatedly, over a long period of time and improve their performance accordingly. Imagine the world we would live in if people could improve upon their natural talent with hard wok and practice.

It'll never happen of course. In fact, there is not a single recorded example in the history of the earth to back up this radical suggestion, but hey, a fella can dream.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
claw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by claw »

ferrarilover wrote: If only, IF ONLY, it were somehow possible for people to do something, repeatedly, over a long period of time and improve their performance accordingly. Imagine the world we would live in if people could improve upon their natural talent with hard wok and practice.

It'll never happen of course. In fact, there is not a single recorded example in the history of the earth to back up this radical suggestion, but hey, a fella can dream.

Matt.
Suspect from his post Brucie will disagree and have no first hand life expericence of bettering ones self...let me help you Bruice :slap:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:
What a load of nonsense. Your "assumptions" are bordering on the ridiculous. Still, I suppose when your point of view is being slaughtered at every corner what choice do you have but to write a load of tosh in reply ;-)
What exactly are the 'ridiculous assumptions' in my post?
- Are you suggesting Newcastle do not possess a greater pedigree than Truro?
- That Buckle did not release Rice? Presumably because he did not think him good enough?

And a point of view that Martin Rice is a disappointing signing is in fact quite a common thread on both this and the other forum.

Those who wish to believe that Martin Rice has turned from a liability into a competent keeper in around 20 months are deluding themselves, simply because they wish it to be true. A couple of good saves in a pre-season friendly do not a silk purse make!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Swing and a miss. Buckle signed him and gave him 2 new contracts. The reason Ricey left was there was a slight disagreement/misunderstanding and Ricey basically demanded to leave. An error of judgement on his part and one he regretted a short while after!Had nothing to do with Buckle's thoughts on how he rated him.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The thing is here ,you can only judge on the evidence that you see with your own eye's,and then come up with an honest opinion.

If that was a league game Saturday we all would have been delighted with Ricey,i am not saying Ricey some how has turned the corner,however credit where it is due,he played 45 minutes Saturday,and apart from an early misunderstanding his keeping was not far off faultless.

I seriously hope that was not a one off from Ricey,to me i am not sure how anyone could pick fault with his display against Bristol City,he got the basic's right,caught and held everything he had to,and his reactions and dive off the floor for that shot into the top corner,could not have been sharper,time will tell,i am not so worried about him now.
Last edited by Dave on 18 Jul 2011, 12:38, edited 2 times in total.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

He's better than Potter, fitter than Potter and will train better than Potter. Job done for a number 2 keeper at League 2 level.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

royalgull wrote:He's better than Potter, fitter than Potter and will train better than Potter. Job done for a number 2 keeper at League 2 level.
Not sure about that Ian,Potter is England's no 1 :)