Best Goalkeeper in league 2?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Best Goalkeeper in league 2?

Post by bc-gull »

after two pre season games against bristol city and exeter city respectively, I think it is fair to say we might have one of the best keepers in the league.. well he is definitively up there with the best off them.

Some other stand out names:

Romain Larrieu, Jake Cole ect.

any more you can think off? Please state.

And finally, yes, I believe we have signed a better keeper than Bevan, everyone has been saying how good our football is, well lets talk about our new star in goal, Olejnik is going to be key next season, and I feel very comfortable with him in goal.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The trouble with the two matches you list (nothing you could have done, they're the only matches he's played, aside from Tivvy), is that across the time he has been on the pitch, he has only had to make one proper save, and that was a nice enough, but not unreasonable tip over the bar last night.

I don't doubt that he is a quality keeper, but it's hard to judge without seeing him against an attack which looks like it doesn't belong in the Ryman Premier.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Scott Bevan :lol:
I loved the guy, he did well for us. But he was so prone to make a mistake.

Im happy with our new man and think hes far better.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

tufcbrett wrote:Scott Bevan :lol:
I loved the guy, he did well for us. But he was so prone to make a mistake.

Im happy with our new man and think hes far better.
In all fairness, League 2 goalkeepers are always going to be prone to making mistakes, that is why they are playing in the 4th tier.

Scott Bevan has looked decent in the friendlies he has played in, nothing spectacular but steady and confident anyway.

I dont know any of the goalkeepers in League 2 apart from Bevan, Steve Phillips and Ryan Clarke, so I cant really comment on them.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

With Bevan and Pickles replaced with Bobby and Saah, we are certainly have much better distribution and ball retention prospects

Matt.
TheGullsAreGoingUp
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by TheGullsAreGoingUp »

To be quite honest, I feel that with a little more league 2 experience under his belt, he could well be in a few seasons the best goalkeeper in league 2 for sure, however I feel we still cannot judge him, although he seems good on paper, and although in the 3 friendlies he has participated in he has done well (even if he didn't have to do much). I do however feel very comfortable with ole' Bobby, and I feel that he was a great signing in a vital position.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Bevan has excellent reflexes for a big man. He has great ability to get down quickly and make awkward saves look simple. But he never leaves his line. If a cross comes into the 6-yard box he'll take it, as you'd expect a man of his height to do. But anything further out than that he doesn't want to know about, and it puts pressure on defenders. His distribution is woeful too, and he can't be relied upon to stay fit.

Olejnik hasn't really been tested yet, but what i already like about him is that every shot sticks. Nothing bounces off of him, as he takes everything so cleanly. He's not yet looked anything other than comfortable when crosses come into the box, and his distribution, is fantastic. Comfortably clearing the half-way line with throws is Schmeicel-esque, and a great weapon for starting counter attacks. I'm comfortable already he's a more solid keeper.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

TheGullsAreGoingUp wrote:To be quite honest, I feel that with a little more league 2 experience under his belt, he could well be in a few seasons the best goalkeeper in league 2 for sure, however I feel we still cannot judge him, although he seems good on paper, and although in the 3 friendlies he has participated in he has done well (even if he didn't have to do much). I do however feel very comfortable with ole' Bobby, and I feel that he was a great signing in a vital position.
Look at your username. Now look at the bit I have highlighted. Do you see the problem I have with this?

Matt.
TUFCforever
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by TUFCforever »

Bevan is a good shot stopper when he sees them. His kicking is woeful, he never throws it out to his left and right backs and never comes off his line and does not command the area like he should. But Bobby on the other hand has experience of big games lets not forget he has played at Parkhead and Ibrox in sell out games so he is used to pressure. He talks constantly to the back four and the only other keeper recently that I can remember doing that for us was the legend that is Neville Southall. He never kicked one single ball last out of his hands he always looked to give to a avaliable player and build from the back or throw it to just over the half way line. He commands his area well and I have full confidence in him and Martin Ling has done his homework and improved that position for us from last season. :engflag:
TheGullsAreGoingUp
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by TheGullsAreGoingUp »

ferrarilover wrote: Look at your username. Now look at the bit I have highlighted. Do you see the problem I have with this?

Matt.
I do see this, the username was the first thing that came into my mind, no thought at all, I wish you could change it, but no point now. :-/
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

TGAGU - you can change it from the user control panel ;-)
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

TUFCforever wrote:Bevan is a good shot stopper when he sees them. His kicking is woeful, he never throws it out to his left and right backs and never comes off his line and does not command the area like he should. But Bobby on the other hand has experience of big games lets not forget he has played at Parkhead and Ibrox in sell out games so he is used to pressure. He talks constantly to the back four and the only other keeper recently that I can remember doing that for us was the legend that is Neville Southall. He never kicked one single ball last out of his hands he always looked to give to a avaliable player and build from the back or throw it to just over the half way line. He commands his area well and I have full confidence in him and Martin Ling has done his homework and improved that position for us from last season. :engflag:
I have to pick you up on that first bit.

I guess you are only stating your opinion on what you have saw of Bevan.

But I must say, Bevan has been great at throwing the ball out quickly to our full backs in the friendlies he has played in. It has been a joy to watch and Lee Brown, Micheal Smith and Micheal Boateng have been 3 of our best performers in the friendlies, largely down to Bevan releasing the ball quickly to them and setting up quick counter attacks.
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

BritishGAS wrote: I have to pick you up on that first bit.

I guess you are only stating your opinion on what you have saw of Bevan.

But I must say, Bevan has been great at throwing the ball out quickly to our full backs in the friendlies he has played in. It has been a joy to watch and Lee Brown, Micheal Smith and Micheal Boateng have been 3 of our best performers in the friendlies, largely down to Bevan releasing the ball quickly to them and setting up quick counter attacks.
hmm, I have to say though, whenever there was a pass back to him I think everyone nearly sh*t themselves, his kicking is atrocious and with his height he should be claiming more balls in the air. Buckle seems to rate him though so good luck..
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Very pleased with Bobby so far. Unbelievable throwing it straight to the centre forward's head on the half way line! :nod:

I also couldn't believe it, seeing him take goal kicks with both feet. He played one with his right peg out to the right wing!!

Bevan was a good keeper at this level though in spite of his short comings. He more often than not did the business for us and certainly wasn't what you would call a dodgy keeper even though his ball control with his feet is poor.

BritishGAS, perhaps you haven't seen him kicking the ball first time on a back pass yet. You will! Also, notice his strange kicking style (probably the reason he struggles with the kicking) and the fact that he has to come out early at half time to warm up on the pitch. It's the long leg muscles you know!

Bobby looks to be a different class though. Well done Martin Ling. :clap:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Well after all this glowing praise I'd better make sure I get to the Truro game to see the man in action.
Getting very excited about the new season now after hearing such good reports of our newbies and the team in general.