I thought Branston had had it. (but I was wrong)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

As I've said elsewhere, it seemed one of those decisions where 60% of the time they aren't given. It didn't look blatant, like when Ellis was being held was, you could say.

Still, the ref only gets one look at it (hence why video technology is needed IMO) and has to decide on that. He might have watched the FLS afterwards and thought differently, but you can't change that..
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

royalgull wrote:Every player goes through patches of good form and bad form. Branston's good still by FAR outweighs the bad in his TUFC stint. I thought the penalty decision saturday was ludicrous in all honesty. The equaliser v Crewe was definitely a pen but as it happens their guy would have scored anyway i reckon had he not gone in with the challenge.

To write Branno off already as well as the defense wh at the start of the season were unbeatable is a bit fickle and a bit of a shame in all honesty.

I mentioned it elsewhere, too many goals go in against us from long range. I look at the goalie and to be honest they've all been unsaveable, which means the midfield and defense are giving the opposition too much time and space to shoot from range. We have let in at least SIX goals from outside the box. That's far too many.
Really? It looked absolutely blatant from where i was stood. There was not even the hint of an argument from any Torquay player either - including Branno.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I only saw it on the telly and I thought it was more than harsh. Maybe it wasn't a great angle of it. The ones at Crewe no arguement.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Fair enough. According to TommyG, the TV slow-motions indicate it was a harsh decision. Unfortunately, the ref gets one look and at first glance it looked nailed on. Just as ours did in fact...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

And Gillingham: (from a report on the match day thread)

Their goal was well-taken, but if Branston had had the sense to try and block their effort he might well have succeeded, instead he froze, stood motionless as it was stuck away.

I rest my case.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

A Gillingham fan on another forum said that he had "Akinfenwa in his back pocket". He's always going to struggle against out and out pace, but he's got some very valuable qualities that make him important to us, and a good defender against the right opponent.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

chippygull wrote:And Gillingham: (from a report on the match day thread)

Their goal was well-taken, but if Branston had had the sense to try and block their effort he might well have succeeded, instead he froze, stood motionless as it was stuck away.

I rest my case.
You rest your case on the verdict of one person out of about 6000 that saw the game?

Pretty poor case, would get thrown out after 5 seconds. :geek:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

chippygull wrote:And Gillingham: (from a report on the match day thread)

I rest my case.

If you read my report on the match, I also thought Bramston froze for the Gillingham goal when even an attempted block would have stopped it going in, in my opinion. That said, he did have Akinfenwa in his pocket and did have a pretty good game. If you'd get rid of a player or drop him for one mistake in a game of 95 minutes then you'd have to drop the whole team.

I realise his form has been pretty dire of late but there was a significant improvement on saturday and I dare say yet more improvement next time out. I wouldn't write the player off so soon, he'll come good and of that I have no doubt.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
sexygulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by sexygulls »

If the team was doing well then I would rather Charnock came in to partner Ellis.
As it were on a bad run and Branston is an excellent leader which right now makes up for his lack of finesse.
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

sexygulls wrote:If the team was doing well then I would rather Charnock came in to partner Ellis.
As it were on a bad run and Branston is an excellent leader which right now makes up for his lack of finesse.
Dont forget Buckle had said that there are clubs looking at signing Charnock, so he might not be here for much longer!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

kbgull wrote: Dont forget Buckle had said that there are clubs looking at signing Charnock, so he might not be here for much longer!
But the reason 'clubs are looking to sign him' is because he's evidently not satisfied spending all his time on the bench.

If we 'sell' Charnock, and Branston's form continues to deteriorate, where would that leave us? Robbo could move across, but Bucks is evidently happiest with him at RB. Palmer isn't ready.

Allowing Charnock to leave is incredibly short-sighted. Because even if Branston's own form does improve, i doubt (hope) he'd get a new deal next summer. Which means we'd have to look for someone else then anyway.

And that doesn't even take account of the fact that Ellis might soon be off too.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

If charnock is adament he wants to go and isn't happy being 3rd choice centre half, what can we do? The only option is play him which on Branston's recent form you could make a case for, but ultimately for me Branston and Ellis is or best CB partnership. People talk of Branno as if the bloke is 36. He's 31/32. At this level it's not ridiculous to suggest he could play for the next 4-5 years. He's hardly going to lose his pace!

Robertson could move across and Oastler apparantly has played there as has LRT (not saying i'd be happy with that option ut he has played there) There is always the loan market if you get a sudden injury.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

"From match thread: "Something has gone wrong with our defense, their equalising goal was astonishing, how no-one bothered to try and clear the ball remains a mystery, and I too would like to see if Scott could have done anything to stop it going in."

From my brief look at the highlights, the Pickler looked pretty static. Others seem to think he did OK in this game. Is his bad spell behind him?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

Hmmmm..

Re: MOTM - Morecambe
by Danny_tufc » 30 Oct 2010, 19:40

1. Senda
2. Branston
3. Rose
4. Zeb
5. Wroe
"Carlisle, looking for Benyon.......SILLS!! Torquay are close to the promise land!!!" - Steve Bower, 17th May 2009, Wembley

Danny_tufc

Favourite player: Guy Branston
Re: MOTM - Morecambe
by yellowforever » 30 Oct 2010, 20:13

1. Branston
2. Rose
3. O'Kane
4. Zebroski
5. Senda
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Branston has not had it. Even if he does not play he still has a role. The squad has not seen such leadership at the morecambe game since hargreaves was captain. He doesnt need to be technically brilliant, and alongside Nicholson, Senda and Ellis. He fits in. He is good at what he does, and he has recovered from his bad spell. He fits into this team, and the players listen to him.