Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
cufcfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by cufcfan »

During Lings tenture the club was pretty stable!

He had a set budget for 3 years, a strong back-room team and a fantastic selection of youth players he could choose from!!!

He had a top 8 budget and all he could deliver was relegation battles. off the field we had new sponsors, lots of generate dincome and a chairman that although is not briallint has been filling in the gap in terms of money.

Ling had a very good set-up.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

cufcfan wrote:During Lings tenture the club was pretty stable!

He had a set budget for 3 years, a strong back-room team and a fantastic selection of youth players he could choose from!!!

He had a top 8 budget and all he could deliver was relegation battles. off the field we had new sponsors, lots of generate dincome and a chairman that although is not briallint has been filling in the gap in terms of money.

I guess the truth of of all this will be proven not only by Ling's performance at Plainmoor, but by your new gaffers performance. Presumably he'll make it all look very easy.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

The Cambridge fans posting on here are getting as boring as the Rovers fans. You don't rate Ling, and think we've made a mistake, we get it!!!

We quite like him at the moment and one of three things will happen, he'll do well, badly, or ok. I sincerely hope he does well and don't think we'll go too far wrong with the personnel he's brought in.

Fonda (I think) made the point perfectly with his comparison of managers who have done well in one place and badly in another, so please let it go for now.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm really looking forward this season to seeing TUFC under "new management".

Two former highly thought of professional footballers who have a solid knowledge of youth development and prepared to give youth a sink or swim baptism. Have you ever heard anything so outrageous ? :clap: :bow: :clap:

What a refreshing change from the former incumbent who used the loan system as a means to an end to further his own ambition.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As member of this site i have never had a problem with fan's of other's club's posting there genuine opinion's on our main board visting fan's should always be made welcome,and i am sure admin agree, all the Cambridge fan's have done in my opinion is just state the way they feel about Ling,as said in my reply above,it's understandable,Cambridge came within a wisker of relegation to the BSS under Ling's management so they are bound not to like him that much.

As correctly stated above there plenty of manager's working in the football league today,who have had a promotion or relative sucsess at one club and a complete failure with another,and Ling is no different.

None of us gulls fan's will judge Lingy on the sucsess he had at Orient,or the failure at Cambridge,we will only judge him on what he does here,and that's what our visting u's fan's need to understand.

P.S Part of wonder's whether they have forgiven us for 2009,and really hope Lingy falls flat on his face here,so we get relegated back to the conference.
Last edited by Dave on 02 Aug 2011, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote:As member of this site i have never had a problem with fan's of other's club's posting there genuine opinion's on our main board visting fan's should always be made welcome,and i am sure admin agree, all the Cambridge fan's have done in my opinion is just state the way they feel about Ling,as said in my reply above,it's understandable,Cambridge came within a wisker of relegation to the BSS under Ling's management so they are bound not to like him that much.

As correctly stated above there plenty of manager's working in the football league today,who have had a promotion or relative sucsess at one club and a complete failure with another,and Ling is no different.

None of us gulls fan's will judge Lingy on the sucsess he had at Orient,or the failure at Cambridge,we will only judge him on what he does here,and that's what our visting u's fan's need to understand.
:nod: :-D
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

forevertufc wrote:As member of this site i have never had a problem with fan's of other's club's posting there genuine opinion's on our main board visting fan's should always be made welcome,and i am sure admin agree, all the Cambridge fan's have done in my opinion is just state the way they feel about Ling,as said in my reply above,it's understandable,Cambridge came within a wisker of relegation to the BSS under Ling's management so they are bound not to like him that much.

P.S Part of wonder's whether they have forgiven us for 2009,and really hope Lingy falls flat on his face here,so we get relegated back to the conference.

I agree, but I feel they have made their point, and don't need to keep reiterating it after every positive post made by a TUFC fan.

I am an infrequent poster but a very regular reader and I enjoy reading posts from most on here, about their thoughts and opinions of all things TUFC. I enjoy the banter with other fans that goes on and the debates, but the repeated "Ling is a rubbish manager" line is getting boring.

I like Cambridge and sympathise sincerely with their plight in the Conference, but I don't see what comes from going on another fans forum and going over the same point again and again.

For a manager who was so derided on appointment, I feel Ling has already proven some people wrong, in terms of players brought in, and provided a relgation battle is avoided, which I am very confident it will be, he will have exceeded a lot of peoples opinions.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Kernowgull wrote:
I agree, but I feel they have made their point, and don't need to keep reiterating it after every positive post made by a TUFC fan.

I am an infrequent poster but a very regular reader and I enjoy reading posts from most on here, about their thoughts and opinions of all things TUFC. I enjoy the banter with other fans that goes on and the debates, but the repeated "Ling is a rubbish manager" line is getting boring.
I like Cambridge and sympathise sincerely with their plight in the Conference, but I don't see what comes from going on another fans forum and going over the same point again and again.

For a manager who was so derided on appointment, I feel Ling has already proven some people wrong, in terms of players brought in, and provided a relgation battle is avoided, which I am very confident it will be, he will have exceeded a lot of peoples opinions.
That's a valid point Kernow,thinking about it they have rather overstated the point,i think the Cambridge fan's are in a similar place to where we are with Buckle,there is more than a few u's fan's who think they owe us one,and would be delighted to see return to the conference,and right now i think there would be nothing worse than them seeing the manager who failed so badly wth them,have sucsess with us,maybe that's why they keep stating the point.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

forevertufc wrote: That's a valid point Kernow,thinking about it they have rather overstated the point,i think the Cambridge fan's are in a similar place to where we are with Buckle,there is more than a few u's fan's who think they owe us one,and would be delighted to see return to the conference,and right now i think there would be nothing worse than them seeing the manager who failed so badly wth them,have sucsess with us,maybe that's why they keep stating the point.
Yeah, I guess there is part of that to it, I definitely hope Rovers don't succeed (especially as I'm moving to Bristol in a few weeks!!) but I would rather wait and see how it goes there rather than predict failure and look stupid. Thats just me though.

My move to Bristol (from London) should see me at Plainmoor a lot more regularly anyway, so I will maybe post a bit more often now and hope to meet some of you at some stage to celebrate Martin Lings glorious football!!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Kernowgull wrote:
My move to Bristol (from London) should see me at Plainmoor a lot more regularly anyway, so I will maybe post a bit more often now and hope to meet some of you at some stage to celebrate Martin Lings glorious football!!
I see your moving near us. Why not drop in when your settled and we can talk gulls talk and maybe sort out a few matches to go to.
Come on you yellloowwwwwsssssss :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Kernowgull wrote:
I see your moving near us. Why not drop in when your settled and we can talk gulls talk and maybe sort out a few matches to go to.
Come on you yellloowwwwwsssssss :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

cufcfan wrote:During Lings tenture the club was pretty stable!

Hmmm, this is quite a different story to the one relayed to us by Dinger last night at the forum. Equally, it would seem that it is wholly different from that information which our board has received. With all due, I'm pretty sure they know more about it than you do, for no reason other than they were involved while you were a spectator, as we all are, even our beloved Teeboo (I guess, who knows?)

There was talk of, more than once £100,000 being knocked off the budget. Dinger was happy to continue with the reduced terms, but was fed up with being lied to and misled.

I think here, at a club which is run properly, rather than a guy, who, by all accounts, is a bit of a fruit and nut cake, he'll do just fine.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

Can I just inform you all of something?

Ling and Rolls only worked together for about a week, and the rest of his tenure was under the superb Paul Barry, who pretty much gave him what he asked for, including a budget on a par with what he's probably got with you guys. He also inherited a very good squad which was more than capable of obtaining a play-off spot.

His comments have angered me greatly, and as someone who peronally knows people in positions of authority at the club, I can confirm that he's told you a load of bull.

Apologies for my rant, but I feel that I had to get this one of my chest.
CUFC4LIFE
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

That must be why he tried to leave so soon after joining you then..........
Dave

TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

He left because of that berk Rolls, but was more than happy to be re-appointed by Paul Barry a few days later after Rolls had left the club. His tenure under Rolls lasted a whopping total of 9 days, so it's very inaccurate for anyone to blame the United board for his shortcomings and miserable failure.

He also seems to be happy to ignore the fact that he inherited the baulk of a squad that finished second the year before, that last pre-season his squad was assembled well before the start of training, had no players he didn't want left over the previous regime, had a top eight budget and wasted 10K on a 32 year old striker who scored one goal all season.

He's already gone down in folklore as one of our worst ever appointments, and I genuinely do feel sorry for you guys.
CUFC4LIFE