Championship striker

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:An apology if this has already been mentioned on here.

From a reliable source the Striker we are going to sign is Rene Howe from Peterborough who recently played on loan for Bristol Rovers for 2 games scoring 1. He scored a decent amount of goals wherever he has gone. Apparently he is having a medical at Seale Hayne and signing a 2 year contract.

So what do we all think if this is true?

Went in to the office this afternoon to collect my season ticket and heard the very same thing. That is, that it's a player from Posh. Unfortunately, I can't confirm the name of the player as the well known local pugilist who does a lot of voluntary work for TUFC, was having a punch drunk/senior moment.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Trojan 67 wrote:

Went in to the office this afternoon to collect my season ticket and heard the very same thing. That is, that it's a player from Posh. Unfortunately, I can't confirm the name of the player as the well known local pugilist who does a lot of voluntary work for TUFC, was having a punch drunk/senior moment.
Dave Hibbert?

Danny Mills? :red:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jerry wrote: Dave Hibbert?

Danny Mills? :red:

Rene Howe, "confirmed" on the thread of its title.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:Having had a little trawl on the givemefootball list (again - it seems I do little else at work than check out here and that list) only a couple of players stood out for me.

One, as mentioned on here, is Steve Brooker. Wasn't aware that he'd spent time at her majesty's pleasure, but knew he'd been injured. Given that he's probably not as mobile as he once was (and never really was anyway), maybe he'd be pitching at L2 level. I'd be happy if it was - a real grizzly battering ram of a centre forward is always good to have - but I'd guess that he wouldn't come cheap.

The only other player I could see who'd "played" at championship level last season (he made 1 appearance, that was how I interpreted the article) and potentially within our scope is Paris Cowan-Hall. Ex Pompey, was at Scunthorpe last season but had a brief loan spell in the BSP. Suggests he'd be realistic, but don't know much about him. The only other player I would consider as being realistic is Rene Howe, who didn't play in the Championship but did have a spell at the Gas towards the end of the season. Get the impression he comes with an average-to-poor reputation from his previous clubs though.

It is refreshing to see we have gone in for Sandaza though, obviously a good player who wasn't quite good enough for a very good Brighton side - although he was kept out of the side by Ashley Barnes! At least it shows a bit if ambition even if we are blown out of the water by St Johnstones offer.

EDIT - note to self, Paris Cowan-Hall scored on trial for Gillingham tonight. Given that Ling was in London area over the weekend discussing with a potential signing, not sure whether this adds weight or discredits my theory
Almost called it right!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jeff wrote: Almost called it right!

Stick to what you are most excellent at dude (matchday reports). :clap: :bow: :clap:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

AndyC wrote:Certainly wasn't in the Championship last season, so if he's a depth signing fine, but he's been a troublemaker in the past and his record in the league is hardly inspiring apart from a spell in L2 with Rochdale a few seasons ago.

And the classy 'Dating In The Dark' is apparently his latest attempt to score as well :O
So a bit like Zebroski when he signed for us then?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

So, was Howe an incorrectly titled 'Championship' striker, or are we still waiting for a response from someone else....?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I don't understand how anyone can say he was a championship striker. He played for a Championship team, but didn't actually feature in any games..
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

He played for a L1 side who will play in the Championship after he's left.

I hope the Championship striker is still alive, or that the other 3 on Ling's list are still being pursued. Howe and Atieno have qualities between them that are valuable at this level, but both have moved around a lot recently and never settled, so are coming here to prove themselves. With Kee also very young, we're going to be relying on players to maintain consistency who in the past haven't done that.

It's very similar to how I perceive our wingers too. Stevens, Macklin and Halpin are all good on their day but haven't shown any regular form to hold down a place in the side. If these 6, plus McPhee (who might be more central) are our attacking options then we're going to need a very solid defence.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I was thinking about this, I reckon this could be the "Championship" striker they were on about. Because Petobrough got promoted to the championship, in theroy he did player for a side in the championship last season. As in the championship club now but was there while there in league 1 and got promoted.

Like others said the description is wrong. Looks like there is only 1 more striker place left and thats for Atieno to take. So cant see anyone else coming apart from the left winger and backup keeper (Martin Rice?)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Left winger has to be a good one IMO. We are vey weak on the wings and cannot afford to carry both wingers.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
jacko
Trialist
Trialist

Post by jacko »

paris cowan hall would be a fantastic signing, he has 2 great feet, blistering pace, more tricks than a magician and a work ethic to go with it.
Having played with and against him id compare him to ashley young and his goal on trial for gillingham was an absolute belter.....
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
premierleaguegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Robertson

Post by premierleaguegull »

jacko wrote:paris cowan hall would be a fantastic signing, he has 2 great feet, blistering pace, more tricks than a magician and a work ethic to go with it.
Having played with and against him id compare him to ashley young and his goal on trial for gillingham was an absolute belter.....
ferrarilover wrote:What?

Matt.
My sentiment exactly.

Some context for this statement would be useful.

Are you his agent?
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

His Mum.