Thanks To Fans

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Thanks To Fans

Post by Tq2Yellow »

Today is a big day, it has finally arrived and with all supporters being compacted into just two sides it will be interesting to hear the impact and noise our passionate fans will have. I'm hoping that it will rub off on other lesser vocal supporters nearby.

I believe we have 'missed a trick' by not moving the dug outs across to the 'cowshed' side in the guise of Health and Safety whilst the grandstand is being demolished. It's always nice to ensure the away manager cannot be heard by his team.

Finally, I hope the players carry on a tradition instilled by Buckle to come over 'on mass' after the final whistle of each match to receive applause from the supporters and thank them in return for their support. It always happened at away matches but is a nice touch at home matches.

Here's hoping the season is long and happy, get behind Lingy's boys, yellow army, yellow army.

Good luck everyone and see you all today for a nice 3 - 1 league opener.
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Tq2Yellow wrote: Finally, I hope the players carry on a tradition instilled by Buckle to come over 'on mass' after the final whistle of each match to receive applause from the supporters and thank them in return for their support. It always happened at away matches but is a nice touch at home matches.
Completely agree with the sentiment here; it's always nice to be able to let the players know we appreciate their efforts, and vice versa.

However, don't give credit to Paul buckle for that. It's been happening for years, so long in fact that I can't remember when it started happening. Leroy was always the best at it, as he always looked genuinely appreciative of our support. Buckle, on the other hand, often only vaguely walked towards our fans, gave a cursory acknowledgment and then bolted off. Half the time looked like he would rather not have bothered.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yeah Buckle is a c**t AND he's just got 3 points! T**t!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

I do remember it in the good years, and yes you are right the Leroy did, but the teams of the last few years have made a point as a team to come over.

I note today that the old guard came over but several of the newbies just walked off!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
tufc023
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee mansell

Post by tufc023 »

I was very disappointed today by the fact that once the match had finished the majority including ling, looked over but then just walked off. One thing we definately can not slate buckle for was the fact that he always thanked us fans, and I just felt today lings first thought was to get off the pitch. However like you said Tq2Yellow it was nice to see the likes of mansell, nicholson etc. come over to us.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

i do actually think that buckle, especially in the conference years, made a point of coming across and there were several occasions where a number of players were involved in post-match arguments/discussions and buckle would interrupt and point/shove them in the direction of the fans. its always nice to be appreciated.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Buckle did do it, but as mentioned above, Leroy instigated it. He used to walk over, pointing randomly into the crowd and applauding the support. Everything that man did had class.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Fonda wrote:Buckle did do it, but as mentioned above, Leroy instigated it. He used to walk over, pointing randomly into the crowd and applauding the support. Everything that man did had class.
Like playing key players out of position or bringing on Stevens as a sub
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Awayday wrote: Like playing key players out of position or bringing on Stevens as a sub
I think perhaps you were just a little too keen to jump on my point there. I was very clearly talking about Leroy. Less haste in future.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I agree, Leroy instigated the "thanks to the fans" walk to the terraces. I also think Buckle deserves credit for also showing his thanks, even on the official website he would write his thanks. I am sure Martin will soon learn it doesn't take much to walk over and over a little wave and applaud us for our time and money. Tonight would be a good chance to see what he does with the travelling fans. I for one will be there to show my support and hopefully will get a little thanks from the team and management for my lengthy journey.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

In Ling's defence he has made a statement on the OS praising the fans for making a lot of noise in a ground with reduced capacity and thanked them for turning up in large numbers.

But I agree with previous posters that it would be nice for the players and manager to come over and thank the fans for their support - such a simple gesture but one that builds a bond and makes us feel appreciated for the efforts we put in over 90 minutes.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

In fairness to Ling, he probably felt a degree of disappointment that we'd not won a game he and we expected to. When the manager comes over, it's not just him thanking us, it's us applauding him. Perhaps he didn't think our perfromance warranted much appreciation and was embarassed to come over, seeking it? It's not some huge snub, so let's not look at it as such in order to criticise.