Taiwo Atieno

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Am I the only one to have warmed to Atieno? I thought he looked good when he came on against Burton and by all accounts did very well yesterday and in mid-week. Certainly the goal was well taken.

I am beginning to think we may have got ourselves quite a potent attack.

I also see Billy as cover for Howe but not for Atieno. I would rather see McPhee cover for Atieno because he is more mobile than Kee.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Nope I said the same Modgull. I think we've found a little diamond here.

He's quick, strong, decent touch, works hard and can finish. Him and Howe work really well together.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Agree. Just hope we stay injury free up top as we lack similar replacements.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

He took the goal well yesterday, but there was that one chance where he was intent on walking the ball into the net right in front of our fans. Would have loved him to put that one away.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Mr_T1nker
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by Mr_T1nker »

When I first heard we'd given him a trial, honestly, I thought there was no point, my opinion was he was a poor player that wouldn't even earn a contract but I have to say I've really enjoyed watching this guy play through-out pre-season, he then made a significant impact when he came on at home to Burton and he was my personal man of the match yesterday at Rovers. He's building what looks a promising partnership with Howe upfront and I'm glad my original opinion of Tai seems to be way off.
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

I agree entirely, think on his own up front he might struggle, but alongside Howe, they seem to complement each other and to an outside it looks like they have been playing together for a couple of seasons. It is just so refreshing to see us playing 2 out and out strikers.

Andy
I live for matchdays!!!!
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

many people questioned this guy, as he's had a lot of clubs in a short career, but as has been said many times, sometimes a player needs the "right club". life in torquay is not everyone's cup of tea compared to life in a big city, but if a player settles, is happy and enjoys life at the club, his football will improve.

i think more doubters should give torquay a chance, and not knock it til they've tried it.

atieno looks at home, looks happy, and looks a cracking signing. well done ML.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Modgull wrote:Am I the only one to have warmed to Atieno?
Pretty sure we'll warm to anybody who scores goals for us.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Still early days yet, but as said, he and Howe were fantastic yesterday. Had he scored that one after skinning two then rounding Bevan, god that would have been incredible!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The current strike pair have something about them of that there is no doubt. Word gets about quick in League 2.

I hope both have the strength, stamina and temperament to avoid injury, loss of form and suspension.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I still think we need one more striker brought in. Atieno would work well with either Howe or Billy, but if he was to get injured then i cant see billy and howe working because they are to simular.

He was class yesterday and he should do well with us but 3 main strikers and the young lads to cover i feel we are short of one to be simular to atieno that can offer us that bit different to what howe and billy does.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

NickGull wrote:Still early days yet, but as said, he and Howe were fantastic yesterday. Had he scored that one after skinning two then rounding Bevan, god that would have been incredible!
Do not underestimate this chance. It had such an air of George Best about it. Beating me for the sake of it, just such a crying shame that he didn't stick it in the net. Had he, I think we might be looking at a Goal of the Season contender.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

That chance hasn't even made the extended highlights on the BBC website.

Disappointing.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tufcbrett wrote:I still think we need one more striker brought in. Atieno would work well with either Howe or Billy, but if he was to get injured then i cant see billy and howe working because they are to simular.

He was class yesterday and he should do well with us but 3 main strikers and the young lads to cover i feel we are short of one to be simular to atieno that can offer us that bit different to what howe and billy does.

Three senior srikers at first glance appears to be not enough. It certainly isn't enough if both Howe and Atieno are out of the side. If only Howe plays and Kee fails to make the partnership work then 4-5-1 is the formation with Howe leading the line with Mansell, McPhee and O'Kane in centre midfield with one of McPhee or O'Kane in the hole.

Likewise if only Atieno leads the line. Hopefully, both Howe and Atieno will keep their form and stay clear of long term injury.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

royalgull wrote:Nope I said the same Modgull. I think we've found a little diamond here.

He's quick, strong, decent touch, works hard and can finish. Him and Howe work really well together.
Agree 100%. (I knew it would happen sooner or later royal!).
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)