Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No need for me to humbly eat any pie either, i posted a thread urging fan's to back Lingy at the time, of course we must remember this is early day's 12 games is the time to judge in which direction the team is going, that said so far, so good.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed, early days, but so far I've been impressed.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I was initially disappointed with Ling's appointment, not because I thought he'd be our downfall like some others, but because I'd got my hopes up for Forster and felt blindsided by a name that came from nowhere. I did say that I'd get behind him and I'm pleased with what he has done.

Long live the Ling!
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

ha, trojan, what have you done ?? i wonder how many people are now searching back through this to find their first post on the subject. i just have, found it on page 4, and my initial reaction was shock and surprise, but i did suggest we get behind the guy and give him a chance. it would appear that's what people have done, and after saturdays result, he's already a hero !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I hold my hands up also for initially slagging off Ling on the basis that i thought it he was a poor appointment and also because i had been expecting somebody at least who we had been linked with. His appointment came out of the blue as if the board had plucked his name at random out of thin air. I must admit it was a shock. I must also add that after my initial disappointment had waned, i did post messages suggesting that we get behind him anyway, give him a chance to show what he could do and see what happens. My concerns about him were not alleviated when he brought in McPhee and signed Stevens for another year; however, credit where it is due he has started really really well and maybe 4 points from 2 games is what we could have all reasonably hoped for only i would have expected to beat Burton and lose or draw at Rovers. I've not seen us play yet so i don't know how much his style differs from that B****e used to play but early signs are exciting and maybe we can do much much better than the 16th or so place i predicted for us a couple of weeks ago. WELL DONE MARTIN AND THE LADS!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

if you havn't seen them play yet. Oh boy, are you in for a treat!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:What matters at the end of the day is how well he does for us, nothing else matters now.

Some people just fit in at some Clubs and not so at others, lets hope it's the right kind of Club for Martin Ling.

I don't have a problem with anyone being disappointed with the man chosen as I'm sure they'll all get behind him when we kick off and at least they have the opportunity to get it off their chests on here.

And despite the protesters on here moaning about people expressing their opinions I don't think ANYONE could say we haven't got behind the Manager....................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

And that has been the most pleasing thing Dave, that after all the initial dissapointment of the appointment of Ling, All the Gulls fans seem to have got right behind Ling and his team. In fact there seems to be a really good buzz about the place. Even when we went 2 down to Burton last week, there was nothing but encouragement from the fans.

Andy
I live for matchdays!!!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I agree Andy. At Rovers there was obviously the chance to abuse Buckle but those chants were always followed by more vociferous support of Martin Ling. I'm sure he was expecting a negative reaction to his appointment and he certainly got it from a few but the most important thing that I imagine did surprise ML was just how well the fans have got behind him from the first game. I think all of us can see that he's done an excellent job on limited resources thus far and this side really excites me when they play well. Good flowing football, totally committed and the feelgood factor is back. I've heard stories from a few at the club that everyone has a smile on their face these days and I bet those smiles are a hell of a lot wider after saturday. As I quoted earlier, some people fit certain Clubs, right now ML fits us like a glove.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

Let the Martin Ling feel good factor continue, hopefully with another 3 points at Aldershot tomorrow night! :scarf:
I live for matchdays!!!!
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Glostergull wrote:if you havn't seen them play yet. Oh boy, are you in for a treat!
Im sure I had a post on this before?

I wouldnt exactly call the first hour of the Burton match and pretty much all of the Aldershot match a treat. Depressing would be more of an apt term. At least the 3 points haul from Aldershot was a redeeming feature but about the only one.
Arse! Drink!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

No team can play well all the time. Winning, when not playing well is an important attribute for any team.

The main point is Ling clearly wants the team to play passing, progressive football. And that's exactly what most fans want to see. On the days when the team 'clicks' it will be great to watch. And even when they don't 'click', they evidently have the tenacity to dig out results. All bodes pretty well in my opinion.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I did not go to Aldershot by the sounds if it on the radio the team may have rode its luck a bit to much in that game, however was at the Burton match and i did go to Rovers.

Under Buckle i allways felt we had a glass jaw think many would agree with that, and rarely if ever did we see our side come back from 2 down, under Ling the one thing that has stood out in these early days is our team does look full of fight, grit and looks like they will not give up on anything which hopefully will continue, as there will be more games like Aldershot where the game plan has not quire worked and team will need to hang on a bit, and hopefully us fans will see more games like Rovers away with the spirit our teams has right now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

We did ride our luck a little Forever, and we did get a large slice of it with the skippers goal, but having said that Aldershot were not really peppering our goal with shots (No pun intended). They had 2/3 good chances that they should have done better with. Bobby made a couple of very good saves but in the main he was collecting, and turning away, crosses. Nicho, Robbo and Brian made a few "shot saving" tackles, but thats what they are there to do. We were under seige and, for some reason, could not get our passing game going. A 1 goal lead is always a bit dodgy, but I felt that if Aldershot had scored we could have gone on to get another. It was a fine "ugly" win and pleasing to see how well the defence coped. Having said that, it was a bit "squeaky bum" at times. :whistle:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I, for one, am absolutely delighted about the whole thing. Not once under Buckle (not a Buckle bash, but a true fact) did I leave a TUFC match wondering how we had managed to be absolute rubbish and come away with the points. I did, however, manage to leave a match scratching my head, pondering the unfairness of it all that we had butchered the opposition for 90 minutes and been robbed.

To be useless and still win the match is an excellent trait to have, I'm glad Dinger appears to have it in his locker.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"