Torquay vs Crawley

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Well im sorry you couldnt put one over on your rivals.im just back from Macclesfield and we didnt have one shot that I can remember on target although we did create the three best chances of the match. Bevan was excellent in all he did. Zebroski was awful and for some reason has not hit form yet but I'm sure it will come. Really think if we are to do something we need to beat the likes of Macclesfield. hereford next up for us and then Crawley away. We will need to improve dramatically to get anything at Crawley. We ended up with a very defensive side as we took off Kuffour and Zebrowski and replaced with two midfielders and really second half played for the draw which was a bit disappointing. Would have liked to have seen Carayol on but I think something has happened there because he was taken off against you when I felt he was starting to play really well and has been a non used substitute for the lastr trwo games. Did Akinde take any part for crawley today? He was absolute shite when he played for us though I see Simon Davies scored (he played on loan for us last season.) see we are next to each other in the table now.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You will probably find that Carayol has fallen out with Buckle - that didn't take long. You won't see him again this season thats for sure. You can forget getting anything at Crawley - Evans has the indian sign over Buckle and is light years ahead tactically.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Mark Ellis walked straight off the pitch at the full time whistle. I dont think I have ever seen him do that. He had spent alot of the game warming up.I think he looked proper fed up.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

goodluckgull wrote:Mark Ellis walked straight off the pitch at the full time whistle. I dont think I have ever seen him do that. He had spent alot of the game warming up.I think he looked proper fed up.
I can understand his frustration. I have always stated my preference for Ellis over Saah from the very first game. I have never seen Saah play but i have Ellis and judging solely on the fact that we have conceded 10 goals in 5 games and were very lucky to have kept a clean sheet at Aldershot, i feel that my clamour for Ellis to be included is justified. Saah has been criticised frequently for his cumbersome defending, lack of awareness and bad positioning and i don't know if his game is improving. It would appear not. I'm not gonna come on here and say the bloke is shite and this and that, i'm simply saying that i think Ellis deserves a run out v Daggers next week and see what happens. :keepie:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Brett - yes its a fair point that we won't have to play Crawley every week, and the plus point is that we have seven points which I am amazed we have got.
Bar a pre season friendly i havn't seen the team play - the reason that I won't attend is that i won't spend nigh on fifty quid and a three hour drive to watch a team which includes Mcphee and Rice in the squad as neither have any place in a league team.
i am not picking on Mcphee in particular - we have two other right wingers in Stevens and Macklin who are not up to the required standard.
We have a left winger who we have pinched from Hereford - who seems little better by all accounts and a defence which is completely all over the shop.
Saah again has been languishing in non league for a while - probably because no league team wants him, and no way is he as good as Ellis who should be in the team.
Todays defeat was expected but I would be more worried about the peformance at Aldershot - I listened to the game and it sounde like the alamo, we appeared absolutely clueless.
i am still trying to fathom how we beat Bristol Rovers and in our opener - well we scrambled a point, and by all accounts our defence was clueless again.
Next weeks game against D and R will be a better marker of where we are. Ling sounded mightily pissed off though after todays game - i genuinely think the signs are very worrying. Pointswise we have done alot better than I thought but some remedial work is needed ie Saah and Pastler dropped. Ellis restored and possibly a right winger signed on loan who can actually play football.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Father Jack
edit: People say its all about the money with Gatwick, I thought their 2 best players were probably the strikers, one an ex trainee from Maccy and the other from Cheltenham who was out of contract...
It certainly was mainly about the money as far as Crawley getting the out of contract Wes Thomas to sign for them. Even the Cheltenham chairman said that the financial deal Crawley offered Thomas was 'staggering' & beyond the reach of many League One clubs.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 08,00.html
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Torquay in not being as good as a team that has spent an entire fortune shock. brucie you've been missed mate. 7 points from 3 games and nowhere to be seen, we lose to the league favorites and he's back there's a shock. Mega LOLz at getting stroppy because of a couple of lads sat on the bench.

We've got enough to be midtable. That's the aim and midtable sides lose from time to time.

I would agree with the consensus on Saah, so far he hasn't impressed me and I wouldn't be against giving Ellis a go. I'd also like to see Macklin given a go on the right hand side, he's got a bit of pace and would offer something different.

Crawley will beat lots of sides better than us this year, they've got a League 1 side and a Championship budget, we won't be the only side they go to and win comfortably.
backofthenet
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: howe

Post by backofthenet »

yellow wrote:Whatever you think of Fatty Evans he put out a very good side that showed a good blend of pace, power, work rate and skill. On top of that they were well organised. Oh bugger what if the cheat is a good manager after all?

They will be in Div 1 next season.

We were outclassed from the first whistle to the last. I was very impressed with Barnett, and the midfield pairing of Simpson and Torres had quality that their money has bought.

We never were allowed to play. Our midfield was bossed and their closing down snuffed out moves before they got going.

I though Lathrope and Billy Kee both made a difference in the second half, replacing the ineffectual pair of McPhee and Morris.

In the end I was grateful for a 1-3 scoreline.
Hi again. Just got back after a great day out. It threw it down from Honiton to Torquay but stopped just as we arrived, then the sun came out. (always shines on the righteous?)

Having read the above and earlier posts I think that's an accurate assessment. We were the best we've been for the first 25 minutes and 4-0 wouldn't have been out of place at half time. We went a little off the boil though and the last 15 minutes were fairly even, if with not a lot happening. After our 3rd goal you gave us a hard time for 15 minutes and at our end we were happy to concede just the one. We slowly got back on top after that and could have had more. I think I counted 4 good saves from your keeper plus other defensive blocks.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Alpine Joe wrote:Father Jack It certainly was mainly about the money as far as Crawley getting the out of contract Wes Thomas to sign for them. Even the Cheltenham chairman said that the financial deal Crawley offered Thomas was 'staggering' & beyond the reach of many League One clubs.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 08,00.html
AJ, unless they have found a way of fiddling the books, they have to stick to the same wage restrictions as the rest of us. Not that I would put anything past FatBoy (&-) Dim though, but the league do now scrutinise the figures (or so we're told!!).

Does it perhaps sound just a teeny little bit like sour grapes maybe from the chairman (plus it would placate the fans if they thought he was unaffordable?)
Arse! Drink!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote:Brett - yes its a fair point that we won't have to play Crawley every week, and the plus point is that we have seven points which I am amazed we have got.
Bar a pre season friendly i havn't seen the team play - the reason that I won't attend is that i won't spend nigh on fifty quid and a three hour drive to watch a team which includes Mcphee and Rice in the squad as neither have any place in a league team.
i am not picking on Mcphee in particular - we have two other right wingers in Stevens and Macklin who are not up to the required standard.
We have a left winger who we have pinched from Hereford - who seems little better by all accounts and a defence which is completely all over the shop.
Saah again has been languishing in non league for a while - probably because no league team wants him, and no way is he as good as Ellis who should be in the team.
Todays defeat was expected but I would be more worried about the peformance at Aldershot - I listened to the game and it sounde like the alamo, we appeared absolutely clueless.
i am still trying to fathom how we beat Bristol Rovers and in our opener - well we scrambled a point, and by all accounts our defence was clueless again.
Next weeks game against D and R will be a better marker of where we are. Ling sounded mightily pissed off though after todays game - i genuinely think the signs are very worrying. Pointswise we have done alot better than I thought but some remedial work is needed ie Saah and Pastler dropped. Ellis restored and possibly a right winger signed on loan who can actually play football.
What a difference a week makes! At least you are not going to crash the site this week Brucie by posting alarmingly positive and cheerful things! I know that you are always kidding as it is not biologically possible for a child to be produced with such negative thoughts, but I must say you carry off the pretence very well. Fair play to you, but do you know some people actually think you are serious? ;-)
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I will agree with who ever said about a loan player, but i feel we really do need someone. If Macklin is not going to get games because he is not training hard enough or what ever the reason is then surley we need to bring someone in? McPhee is not a winger, i would rather Danny out there but he is very hit or miss.

Bring in a loan player to place on the right with Danny as cover or sub would do for me. Thats the only place i feel we really are lacking. Upfront i am happy with, ideally 1 more up top would be great to give as a option but not top of the list for me. The defence needs times, who ever is playing in there and Ellis and LRT may get a chance soon. Leadbitter should be fit soon and will be intresting to see if Ling will play him or to stick with Oastler.

Get us a winger Ling, or the other should is Macklin get your ass in gear and get a chance to prove yourself.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Father Jack wrote: AJ, unless they have found a way of fiddling the books, they have to stick to the same wage restrictions as the rest of us. Not that I would put anything past FatBoy (&-) Dim though, but the league do now scrutinise the figures (or so we're told!!).

Does it perhaps sound just a teeny little bit like sour grapes maybe from the chairman (plus it would placate the fans if they thought he was unaffordable?)
It all depends where the income from the benefactor gets counted. The consensus is that not only are they paying big transfer fees (£150,000 for Barnett for instance must be the highest in League 2) but they also pay big wages (if Cheltenham are to be believed in relation to Wes Thomas)

I believe that the salary cap is based on turnover and if the sugar daddy (or is it sugar mummy?) pays in cash rather than giving a loan to subsidise then this would be OK.

What happens when the benefactor gets bored with writing out huge cheques and the team stops it's upward progress is a different matter - as Argyle can testify.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Accordingly there is a rumour circulating that Crawley may be expelled from the league for exceeding the spending limits that were imposed at the beginning of the season.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Kinda glad I couldn't make it, afterall.

Sounded shocking. Bit of a fortunate goal aswell, for us!

I do think it's time to let Ellis have a crack, he's more than good enough.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Have people forgotten how poor Ellis was against Burnley in the PSF? Do they really think he can come in and step up to the plate after so little gametime? I can't see Saah being dropped and Ellis doesn't get in ahead of Robertson for me so unlikely in my opinion. Even less likely given his apparent state of mind at the moment, he cuts a lonely figure each time I've seen him. He's young and full of potential but he gets caught out of position far too much and it's no surprise to me that Branston felt he just couldn't play alongside Ellis. Give Saah some time to settle in, it's early days and yesterday he came up against what is probably the best forward line in the division. Barnett impressed me immensely, full of running, athletic, great in the air, superb movement and totally committed to the cause, he would have made Ellis look stupid.

On what I saw yesterday, this team will win the league at a canter, they will also see off Rovers with ease, any Gasheads thinking differently, well just wait to be shocked, Crawley are far superior to the team we played the week before.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com