Bradford v Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Bradford v Torquay Match Thread

Post by Louis »

And so we prepare for our next game away to Bradford on Saturday 8th Oct.

Only a fiver to get in, will this tempt you to make the trip up?
What are you expecting us to bring back from the game?

COYY.
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

3 points.

And a battered Tank Howe after his clash with a battered Tank Branstonbauer. :O
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So we travel to Valley Parade on Saturday for an encounter with Bradford City. The Bantams, one of the, if not the biggest sides in this division, haven't had the best start to this season, and they sit down in 22nd place, with 7 points from 11 games. They go into this fixture on the back of a 2-2 draw at Burton Albion, where they threw away a 2 goal lead.

GULLS NEWS.

Rene Howe returns after his one match ban, thankfully, as I think that without him our attack is very weak. I think it will be a similar line up to last weekend, but with Howe replacing Atieno up top.

THE OPPOSITION.

Before I start, I will just warn you that this may not be as informative as past ones, as Bradford seem to have a huge squad and I haven't got much time at the minute!

Now lets talk about Bradford. They have a new man at the helm, in former Charlton manager Phil Parkinson. Parkinson joined the Bantams only a few weeks ago, after Peter Jackson left the club after a less than impressive start.

On the pitch, and I'll start at the back. Former Hull City goalkeeper Matt Duke is in goal, having moved to Valley Parade on Deadline Day on a free transfer. Backup for Duke is Jon McLaughlin, who was the resident keeper until Duke moved in. Callum Tongue is a youngster learning his trade and is the backup for the two seniors.

Into the defence, and I'll start in the heart of it. A legend in these parts, Guy Branston took the captaincy when he moved up to Bradford, but since Parkinson came in, Branston has been dropped, as loanee centre half Andrew Davies came in from Premiership side Stoke. Luke Oliver is the stalwart in the middle. The former Yeovil, Stevenage and Wycombe defender first joined City in 2010, on loan. On the sides, they have Simon Ramsden, a former Rochdale defender, Luke O'Brien, Robbie Threlfall, a youngster released by Liverpool, Steve Williams, Lewis Hunt, formerly known for playing for Southend, and Liam Moore, on loan from Leicester.

Onto midfield. Again, starting in the middle, we have Michael Flynn. The experienced midfielder has been at Valley Parade since 2009, making 71 appearances and scoring 9. There is also Ritchie Jones, taken from Oldham in the summer. Lee Bullock and Dave Syers are in their 4th and 2nd years at Bradford respectively, and both can play in the centre of the park. On the wings, Kyel Reid was picked up as Parkinsons first signing, and he can play on either the right or left. Jamie Devitt can also play either wing, the youngster on loan from Hull. We have met him before, as he was on loan at Grimsby the year they went down. Another couple of loanees, Michael Bryan, from Watford, and Adam Reed, from Sunderland, can also play on the wings. Finally, Jack Compton, another Bantam we know well, is on loan from Falkirk and he plays on the wing aswell.

Upfront, the biggest name in their roster is former Hull forward Craig Fagan. He played for Hull in the Premiership two years ago, and he made the move to Valley Parade a couple of weeks back. James Hanson, plucked from non-league a year or two back, has scored a fair few at league level, and plays the targetman role quite well. Ross Hannah provides another option upfront. Hannah, from Matlock, was apparently all set to sign for us, but unfortunately it didn't materialise. He has hit a couple of goals for Bradford already. Other forwards at the club include Mark Stewart, Nialle Rodney and Darren Stephenson.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

Duke

Moore
Oliver
Davies
Threlfall

Reid (Compton 87)
Flynn
Jones (O'Brien 74)
Reed

Fagan (Hannah 79)
Hanson

Subs: McLaughlin, O'Brien, Branston, Hannah, Compton

REF WATCH.

CARL BOYESON
Michael Salisbury and Ricky Wootton
Fourth Official Steven Copeland

Carl Boyeson is the man in the middle for this one. Mr Boyeson has been officiating since the 2002/03 season, so has a fair whack of experience. The last Torquay game he officiated was at the end of the 2009/10 season, when we hammered Bury 3-0 at Gigg Lane.

PREDICTION.

God knows. Just realised that Bradford played last night, in the JPT. Still, they won at Huddersfield which is a cracking result, even in the JPT.

As for Saturday.. another draw.

0-0.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Looking forward to this one ( although can't say i'm looking forward to leaving my car unattended on the streets of Bradford ). This has the makings potentially of a ding (ling) dong encounter between two sides who cannot defend. I'd be amazed if Nicks prediction of the 0-0 proves to be true. They have got good attacking options in Hannah, Hanson, Fagan etc but defensively are very vulnerable. I hope Branno plays as i would like to see him and give him a good reception. I will go for a 3-2 victory for us.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

austrianandygull wrote:Looking forward to this one ( although can't say i'm looking forward to leaving my car unattended on the streets of Bradford ).
Park in one of the city centre car parks - it's what I did a couple of years ago. It's not that pricy and it's not much of a walk. At least that way you have the peace of mind of not coming back to a smouldering wreck up on bricks!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers Jeff.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

NickGull wrote:
On the pitch, and I'll start at the back. Former Hull City goalkeeper Matt, the girly guy with an orange car Duke is in goal.
Top opener Nick, but this was my favourite bit.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I won't be making the long trip up north :( however I think that we will win this one 1-0!

COYY! :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Reckon we'll get a much needed win on saturday. 2-1, with goals from Howe and Morris (bout time to...) Branston bullet as a consolation.

Anyone driving up from London on the day? a liftshare would be very much appreciated.
COYY
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

With Morris and Bodin away on Saturday, I'd like to see something like this,

Olejnik
Oastler Robertson Saah Nicholson
Lathrope Mansell
Macklin Okane Atieno
Howe
The gulls are going up
markgbcfc
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: helen chamberlain

Post by markgbcfc »

austrianandygull wrote:Looking forward to this one ( although can't say i'm looking forward to leaving my car unattended on the streets of Bradford ).
Depending on what time you arrive there are a couple of options, i have added street names if you have sat-nav

a) around 1.30 you should be ok to get onto midland rd, its the road where you guys are sat. towards the far end of this street there is designated free parking on either side of the road although not many (about 100), you should get parked there at that time. make sure you go to the far end near the refuse site and housing.

b) slightly later or if no room, if you get to the traffic lights at that end of the road turn right and then right again down a small hill you should get parked in front of car salesrooms on there (station rd) note station rd, as there are showrooms on canal rd (a650) but no parking.

c) failing that about ten minutes walk away, still off canal rd (a650) is a tesco, you can park there for 3 hours so if you pull up around half two you should be ok. just pop in buy a bottle of pop for journey home and leave carrier on front seat should be fine. easy to walk from there. look for big retail park behind tesco then up the road that splits the two halves of retail park and the first right along midland rd to the stand your in.

Drinking near the ground isnt great, everything a fair walk away, for those come up between the retail parks turn left at the top to head into the city and just facing you is a new place called the sparrow. shouldnt have problems in there

Have a good day guys, safe journey and enjoy the game
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

markgbcfc wrote: Depending on what time you arrive there are a couple of options, i have added street names if you have sat-nav

a) around 1.30 you should be ok to get onto midland rd, its the road where you guys are sat. towards the far end of this street there is designated free parking on either side of the road although not many (about 100), you should get parked there at that time. make sure you go to the far end near the refuse site and housing.

b) slightly later or if no room, if you get to the traffic lights at that end of the road turn right and then right again down a small hill you should get parked in front of car salesrooms on there (station rd) note station rd, as there are showrooms on canal rd (a650) but no parking.

c) failing that about ten minutes walk away, still off canal rd (a650) is a tesco, you can park there for 3 hours so if you pull up around half two you should be ok. just pop in buy a bottle of pop for journey home and leave carrier on front seat should be fine. easy to walk from there. look for big retail park behind tesco then up the road that splits the two halves of retail park and the first right along midland rd to the stand your in.

Drinking near the ground isnt great, everything a fair walk away, for those come up between the retail parks turn left at the top to head into the city and just facing you is a new place called the sparrow. shouldnt have problems in there

Hi there
Thanks for the info. I am trying to get a car load up from Bristol. I am personaly taking the chance to come up and pay my respects at the memorial and lay a flower or two there, I was in the Rovers crowd just 3 months or so before and I was hit with the realisation it could so easily have been us. It did hit me hard and I still remember it vividly.
I understand there are little memorials in various places too.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
markgbcfc
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: helen chamberlain

Post by markgbcfc »

just behind the main stand is the ground memorial statue. in the car park to the side of the corporate entrance. Always nice a touch to see visiting fans at the memorium.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

markgbcfc wrote: Depending on what time you arrive there are a couple of options, i have added street names if you have sat-nav

Cheers Mark, much appreciated info. Thanks again. :-D
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

would have enjoyed the trip up today, especially for a fiver, but unfortunately i have family plans tonight.

0-0 seems very optimistic to me with our defence, i think we'll concede but i also think we'll edge it 2-1.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele