Is Ling being found out?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

some may say mr ling was "found out" before or as soon as he got here............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

Super.......Buckle's time here has dulled a few senses. You're just wondering why Ling isn't playing Danny Stevens in goal or Rene Howe as a pacey left winger, as that tactical genius would have would no doubt done, following up the out of position players by substituting whoever was performing best on the pitch at the time.

I went to the reserve game and maybe it was unfair of me to score the players and call it as I saw it. I missed the first 15 minutes (couldn't find the ground) and by that time they were 3 down. For all I know, they may have raced out of the blocks like greyhounds and just been demoralised by the goals but I didn't see a group of players fighting for a first team place which is certainly a disappointment, but overall, given where we were pretty close to the season start, minus most of a first team and with no signings, I think that Ling has done more than a decent job. The reserve game wasn't pleasant, but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme, unless it wakes up a few of the players in which case it's probably not a bad thing after all. Mid-table at this point, I thank you Mr Ling and take my hat off to you.....
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How an earth can anyone say that the reserve defeat doesn't matter. The players presumably knew that Ling was watching them so if this was their idea of impressing him gawd help us. No doubt Macklin will be on twitter at the weekend bleating because he is not in the first team.
Noone is unhappy with our current position least of all me. The worry is though that we will not win three out of our next twelve games and in that time will probably be at the arse end of the table.
Our squad is bereft of league standard players - pure and simple. That is the reason I have not shelled out £70 for the privelege of attending any games this year.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stratfordgull wrote:Super.......Buckle's time here has dulled a few senses. You're just wondering why Ling isn't playing Danny Stevens in goal or Rene Howe as a pacey left winger, as that tactical genius would have would no doubt done, following up the out of position players by substituting whoever was performing best on the pitch at the time.

I went to the reserve game and maybe it was unfair of me to score the players and call it as I saw it. I missed the first 15 minutes (couldn't find the ground) and by that time they were 3 down. For all I know, they may have raced out of the blocks like greyhounds and just been demoralised by the goals but I didn't see a group of players fighting for a first team place which is certainly a disappointment, but overall, given where we were pretty close to the season start, minus most of a first team and with no signings, I think that Ling has done more than a decent job. The reserve game wasn't pleasant, but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme, unless it wakes up a few of the players in which case it's probably not a bad thing after all. Mid-table at this point, I thank you Mr Ling and take my hat off to you.....
no mate im not.

im just making the point. we have ling and thats it as far as im concerned - if he does well great if he doesnt then he will be down the rd like any other manager who has not cut it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

cufcfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by cufcfan »

Has Ling started using his "thwee ywear pwan" excuse yet? or "this season will be consolidation, we will push on when I get my own players in."

When you start hearing those excuses, you know you've had it!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

No. But even the chairman said on appointing him the aim is to consolidate this year. The jurys out at the minite but we'll see in the next couple of months.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Super Nicky Wroe wrote:if he does well great, if he doesnt then he will be down the rd like any other manager who has not cut it.
Ah! Down the road to Home Park I assume you mean? ;-)
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote:How an earth can anyone say that the reserve defeat doesn't matter. The players presumably knew that Ling was watching them so if this was their idea of impressing him gawd help us. No doubt Macklin will be on twitter at the weekend bleating because he is not in the first team.
Noone is unhappy with our current position least of all me. The worry is though that we will not win three out of our next twelve games and in that time will probably be at the arse end of the table.
Our squad is bereft of league standard players - pure and simple. That is the reason I have not shelled out £70 for the privelege of attending any games this year.
Totaly spot on there Brucie 100% agree, the first team have not won for 6 games, if your a player on the fringe this reserve match was your biggest and best chance to prove as a player you were worthy of a starting place on Saturday, many have been screaming for Ellis, he played at centre back in a defence that shipped 9 goals against fellow pro's..no Cheltenham's kids, Ellis and LRT in the first team , on that not bloody likey, did this reserve team game matter? Of course it did.

I dont overly dissargee with you on the other point i have highlighted, however in Lings defence, you can not buy a rolls royce with £500 in the bank.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cufcfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by cufcfan »

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Eerm... Thanks... :|

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

you can not buy a rolls royce with £500 in the bank
Maybe not, but you dont have to rush out and buy a handful of bangers just to fill the garage.
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Father Jack wrote: Maybe not, but you dont have to rush out and buy a handful of bangers just to fill the garage.
Dave likes this :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

My OP was not one to state 'Ling Out!' or anything like that. I am fairly neutral towards him. He has not done too much wrong but not either set the world alight. The year of 'consolidation' is a convenient smokescreen to lower our expectations which we are entitled to have after the last few years.

That is not to say that having been a TQY fan for 31 years, I am not unaccustomed to the boom/bust cycle that we frequently go through.

My point was more in regard to the comments I read/hear from Ling. He just comes across as a local league manager, like the ones you read in the Herald Express pretending to be real managers, but without any real insight and just full of cliche-ridden claptrap.

Th frequency with which he publicly slags off the team, is also one that I think should be kept behind the dressing room door because he picks the team and pretty much the same team, every week. He signed players like McPhee and Atieno who are NOT and never will be good enough to be forwards at Football League level. Our best performers so far are players Buckle signed not Ling. Our poorer performers are indeed Ling's signings.

That is my point of view. I want him to do well as by all accounts he is a decent bloke. I hope that the players like and respect him. I want it to work out but just have this nagging feeling that it won't. I just feel so uninspired by TUFC and the football at the moment and I cannot quite put my finger on why this is as there have been one or two good moments and performances that I have seen but whether this is Ling, a hangover from Old Trafford and the way our team broke up, I don't know but it is almost like I feel bored of TUFC.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

hector wrote:
That is my point of view. I want him to do well as by all accounts he is a decent bloke. I hope that the players like and respect him. I want it to work out but just have this nagging feeling that it won't. I just feel so uninspired by TUFC and the football at the moment and I cannot quite put my finger on why this is as there have been one or two good moments and performances that I have seen but whether this is Ling, a hangover from Old Trafford and the way our team broke up, I don't know but it is almost like I feel bored of TUFC.
There is something about this statement that rings true with me too. I'm hoping that its just because I'd known I was not going to be able to go to the last few games, but have felt somewhat detached from TUFC and it hasn't really bothered me that I've not been recently or that we've not played well or been defeated. Hopefully that mood will change with the chance for me to go to a rare home game today, but there does seem to be an element of excitement removed, and very little feel-good factor around the club at the moment.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Todays result was predictable - there is clearly something not right at the club. The reserve defeat told its own story .