League 2: Southend United vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Southend United vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

We make the long journey to one of this seasons early pacesetters, Southend United, on Saturday. The Shrimpers have had an excellent start to the current campaign, and were top of the pack until they dropped 2 points at home to fellow early surprise-package, Morecambe, last weekend. Crawley picked up to move two points ahead of Southend. Anyway, we're 7 games without a win, Southend have not lost in 7, including winning 6 in a row before last weekend. So the formbook is heavily pointing in a home victory, and I can't say I'd be surprised, to be honest.

GULLS NEWS.

Well we've been told that Mark Ellis will be in on Saturday. What that means to the back four, I don't know. I don't know what the side will be on Saturday, but I believe we are injury-free for the long journey east.

THE OPPOSITION.

Now then, Southend United. The man in charge is Paul Sturrock. The experienced manager, who has achieved numerous promotions with several different clubs throughout his career, is doing a good job at Roots Hall, and deserves a lot of credit, considering the state the club were in 12 months ago.

Sturrock has had to rebuild the squad, and he's done a pretty good job of it too.

Starting in goal, we have resident keeper Glenn Morris. He spent 9 years at Leyton Orient before joining SUFC in 2010. Since then, he's made 45 appearances. The back up for Morris is youngster Daniel Bentley.

At the back, Sean Clohessy is the likely right-back. Previous clubs include Gillingham, Salisbury and Bath, before moving to Roots Hall. On the left, we'll probably see Peter Gilbert. Gilbert is well known down here, in the Green part of Devon, as he was part of their Second Division Championship season, in 2004. Gilbert has worked with Sturrock at both Argyle and Sheffield Wednesday, and he obviously enjoys working under the Scottish manager. The Shrimpers boast several options in the middle of defence. Chris Barker, the captain, joined Southend in 2010, and has made over 50 appearances since. He joined from Plymouth, where he made 54 appearances. Another link to Plymouth is another defender, Graham Coughlan, another one who was part of the 2004 Championship winning side at Home Park. He also followed Sturrock to Hillsborough, and was a big hit there aswell. Another option at the back is Bilel Moshni. Moshni can play anywhere, but his preferred position is at the back. Southend is the first British club Moshni has played for, having previously plied his trade in his home country of France. Other options in defence are Mark Phillips, Luke Prosser and Ryan Leonard.

Into the midfield then. In the engine room, Anthony Grant has been a regular for Southend in recent years. The former Chelsea youngster has made over 140 appearances for the Shrimpers. Michael Timlin, on loan from fellow League 2 club Swindon, has been in the middle recently, and he has shown his ability in getting forward to score, especially when he hit two at Rotherham - both special goals, I must say. Other options in the middle include youngster Kane Ferdinand, who looks set to have a bright future, and former- Yeovil midfielder Jean Paul Kalala. On the wings, I expect to see Ryan Hall on the left, and it could be Jemal Johnson on the right, if they play four in the middle. Last weekend, they played a 5-3-2, with wing backs and 3 central midfielders. Gary Sawyer is another option in the middle.

Finally, upfront then. Sturrock made one of the better signings of the summer in League 2 when he took Millwall legend Neil Harris to Roots Hall. Harris has buckets of experience, with nearly 400 appearances for Millwall, over two spells. Barry Corr has done very well since moving to Roots Hall, he hit 15 or so last season, and he's scored one or two this year aswell. Liam Dickinson has also chipped in with a few, and he has seemingly settled well since moving in the summer. Other options include former Gull Blair Sturrock, and youngster Harry Crawford.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

This is how they lined up against Morecambe:

Morris

Clohessy
Phillips
Leonard (Moshni 63)
Barker
Gilbert

Hall
Timlin
Kalala (Grant 62)

Harris
Dickinson

Subs: Moshni, Grant, Bentley, Ferdinand, Sturrock

PREDICTION.

I can't see anything but a home win.

3-0.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

On the eve of tomorrow's game and in the "excitement" of the past week's negative waves, this thread has slipped right down the rankings.

As long as tomorrow's result doesn't turn the negative waves into a storm, then I'll be happy. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

COYY

2-2

Howe and Mansell
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Glad somebody noticed this. :)
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

WE NEED TO WIN!!!
NickGull wrote:Glad somebody noticed this. :)
Thanks for getting the matchday topic up early mate.
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

As long as people don't see a defeat in this game as season-shattering then i will be slightly happier.

I think we'll go there and lose though, a 2-0 scoreline.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I won't be going to this one, and I'm not very confident :(

I think we will lose 3-1 :(

But COYY! :scarf:
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 22 Oct 2011, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

Olejnik

Robertson Ellis Saah Nicholson

O'Kane Oastler Mansell Stevens

Howe Bodin

I Think we will scrap a 1-1 draw (hopefully)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Second most local game for me, looking forward to it regardless of last weeks performance. Always enjoy going to Southend, can still remember the fever of that brilliant day in 2004. Although the atmosphere won't be the same tomorrow with just a few hundred hardy souls, the away end at Southend is good for generating a bit of atmosphere.

Not sure how we'll get on tomorrow. We should lose comfortably, but one recurring theme this season in L2 is anyone can beat anyone else. Southend on paper have a solid if unspectacular looking side. Very potent up front with Dickinson and Harris, some strength in midfield provided by Grant (who was outstanding last season) and some quality on the flanks from Hall, plus a solid back line with the added goal-threat of Mohsni - who could be in either defence or attack and still pose a threat.

With their being talk of changes to the squad, i'd perhaps like to see the following line up:

Olejnik

Robbo Saah Ellis Nico

Atieno Mansell Lathrope/Oastler Bodin

O'Kane

Howe

Facing a Paul Sturrock side, you know that there are going to be some long balls and a certain amount of physical directness. Moving Robbo to right back and bringing Ellis back in will give us the biggest and strongest back 4 we have (well, perhaps LRT is physically stronger than Nico but I don't rate him too highly yet).

I've plumped with Atieno on the wing despite giving Stevens MOTM last week, purely because I've never been convinced of Danny's ability away from home. However if Ling went the other way and drops Atieno I won't be too upset. I'd also like to see Halpin and Spear make the bench. Its about time Ling stood by his prophecy that he'll look to give our own players a chance first.

I'd particularly like to see Spear get 20mins if we are chasing a result. I've not seen him play in any reserve games but I understand he's fairly tall and slight? Maybe something a bit different to what we already have, he does seem to have a decent scoring record in pre season and reserve games. Every season you see a young player come off the bench for someone to score a winner/equaliser, if we don't take that gamble then it'll never be us. Also, by giving him a decent run out it might give us a chance to change the game, give Southend something different to think about and open the game up a bit.

I'll do my best to keep you all updated with the action at half time and post match, but if its another heavy defeat I'll make no promises! at least I don't have too far to drive home!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I wouldn't say Spear was tall, personally, Jeff. Average height, bit of pace on him (but not bags of it).
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

NickGull wrote:I wouldn't say Spear was tall, personally, Jeff. Average height, bit of pace on him (but not bags of it).
Fair enough, I had just noted that it was reported he'd scored a couple of headed goals. Still, having a bit of pace would stand him out against anyone else in our frontline - particularly as I'm yet to see Atieno make meaningful use of his!
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

Hello chaps. I'm going tomorrow (today). Would take a draw although secretly holding out hope for a 2-0 win with a surprise Nicho double- 2 freekicks. Not sure how much money I would make off that bet but it's surely huge. Anyway, If anyone fancies a pre-match bev or meal then let me know. :)
:( Tommy :)
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

Can't see us getting anything from this game, Southend are a good team and we have been so poor lately.

Think Southend will win it 3-1.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Im going for a nice shock 2-1 win. We always seem to do something when we least expect it.

Do we reckon it could be worth giving spear a chance soon, if hes scoring a few goals for the reserves why not give the lad a few minutes. Im for one like to give players a chance as you never know. But then would be nice to see him out on loan somewhere.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Spears nowhere near good enough for League 2 - bit like the majority of our squad really.
Stevegull - we can ill afford any more defeats surely.