I went to Plymouth today... It's not good news.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

I went to Plymouth today... It's not good news.

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, after a number of years of blindly following the team all over the country, I have finally seen enough to convince me that my away day Saturdays are better spent doing other things. I haven't given up hope or anything, but I simply cannot justify spending my whole Saturday driving 400-600 miles, spending all that cash etc, just to watch the team fail to string two passes together and ship goals for fun. There's no doom and gloom element to the decision, it's just that, at the moment, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Anyway, I decided today that I'd head off with Diamondgirl to the Plymouth v Swindon match and, I'm afraid to say, we might be in trouble.

Plymouth were popping the ball about nicely, they had a few decent chances and Jake Cole did precious little. The one moment of frighteningly high quality came from Swindon and it was their goal. A full half dozen fast, one touch passes which would have cut apart the best defences in the world sealed the fate of the Green Army. It was a deeply unfair occurrence, since a-point-a-piece would have been absolutely fair.
My real worry is that Plymouth are bottom, by miles, yet it seems that they would probably beat us (they'd certainly get a point). Their number 13, (massive black bloke, all legs, but strong as an ox, pacey and talented with it) is just the sort of bloke with whom we cannot deal, and they will definitely pose us problems. If I were Dinger and I had the finds, I'd sign him immediately. They are very disciplined and organised at the back and, despite facing a varied threat from Swindon, they dealt with everything with consummate ease.

Swindon will beat us, of that there is no doubt. In fact, they'll probably beat us by a few. Their number 33, a dreadlocked black man, was just the type of striker we don't seem to be able to attract to, or deal with at, Plainmoor. He finds the space between defenders, receives the ball to feet and delivers either a sharp pass or gets away a powerful, accurate shot. It was only for some excellent defending (not beyond the pale, just good, solid L2 defending) that he wasn't able to trouble the scorers. Sadly, we don't have anyone who will do what Plymouth did today to negate him.

If the two sides continue to play as they did today, Plymouth will soon sail past us in the division. Not to great things, I must add, they didn't look like Rotherham or Crawley, but they certainly didn't look like their counterparts from last year, Stockport County, who were worse than the majority of the Conference clubs we played all those years ago.
The pattern of the match was demonstrated perfectly by the fact that Swindon (players, staff and fans) celebrated as if they'd won the FA Cup when they scored and when the final whistle went.

As an aside, it was VERY disappointing to see that at least a half dozen STFC fans were ejected by stewards, two after about 30 seconds, despite being in their own section, with no PAFC supporters seated within 100 yards of them. Why so these people bother to travel 150 miles, only to get tanked up and pick a fight with their own supporters or a meathead in a fluorescent jacket? Surely they could save the dole money and stay at home, get piste and beat the wife? Most curious.

As I say, thread not designed to be a downer on Dinger, or the team, more a realistic assessment of where we are compared to an average L2 side and, supposedly, the weakest of all the L2 teams. Things will change, and, since they can't get any worse, they will change for the better, it's just a question of whether they will change sufficiently and with sufficient alacrity to save our FL status.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I'm finding it hard to justify traveling to TQY too recently let alone the length and breath of the country to watch away games.

You don't have to be a genius to realise something is wrong, basicly wrong and the basics have to be looked at long and hard by somebody within the board. Is it Dinger not spending enough time with the squad ? Quality of his assistants ? I don't know but I don't think you'd have to look that hard or ask to many players find out.

For me we are weak (the last time I looked) on the left, right and centre of defence. Opposition teams are now seeing that as an opportunity and you can bet Argyle will be looking at a possible six points in a short space of time to kick start their survival at our expense.
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

we are also weak in midfield and attack. yesterday our defence had no protection from our central midfield pairing at all and dont get me started on our attacking options. :@
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Your finding it gard to get motivated to driver 400-600 miles to watch Torquay. I can relate to that and have a great deal of sympathy. I live a 15min drive away and have a season ticket, and i gotta be honset, I'm in two minds if I will bother going to the next few matches cos quite frankly I have better things to do with my time. I could cut the grass, watch some soap opera tripe my wife is watching or even do some work - all clearly more enjoyable than watching the crap we are serving up currently!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am off work next week so don't have to get up early,so was going to go on Tuesday night. But honestly what is the point. A 3 hour drive - a waste of time and energy.
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

just dont go then
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

they didn't look like Rotherham or Crawley
Matt, given the way Rotherham are sliding down the table (shades of us really!) I would guess they're probably not far off them?
Arse! Drink!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I live fifty miles away. I will not be making the 100 mile round trip on Tuesday. Attendance? Just over a thousand if they're lucky.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Nail well and truly hit on the head Matt. League 2 football is 5, 6 7 quid dearer then it should be anyway and to pay money to watch players who don't even look like they want to be footballers is pointless. Its all about economics (and bitterness of course!). Any fan who comes on here saying you should support your team regardless is mental or a millionaire. Erm £30 spare , shall i watch Torquay get battered again without showing any interest in winning the game or shall i take the kid bowling and have a few beers and a meal out?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.