A turning point?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Trojan 67 wrote:After last night's superb 4-0 result, only one team has scored more League 2 goals at home than us this season . . . . and that team sits on top of the table.
Only one ground in League 2 this season has seen more League 2 goals than Plainmoor . . . and the team that plays at that ground got tanked last night at TQ1.
If it's the entertainment of goals you're after then Plainmoor is the place to be. So why are attendances this season so low ?
All things considered (from the end of last season), it must be the recession, meaning fewer people have the money to attend.
Any other reason(s) ? :| :rofl: :nod: ;-)
The weather; no transport; old age; poor health; etc....
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Another turning point - although separate to us but in a way, relevant - was Plymouth's heavy defeat which may just have knocked the stuffing out of their threatened revival. I think we have been down the bottom enough to know you sometimes get a win or two that make it seem that things are improving, only for it to prove to be a false dawn.

Hopefully, we will be back on track a bit and they falter so it is a foregone conclusion come Nov 19th. I don't want some tense, closely fought derby. I want us to annihilate them and to be able to relax and enjoy a game against them for once.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

What a difference to make a great result - real team commitment and purpose (except from our Swindon loanee who did not look a team player), stemming from sensible formation - commanding keeper, Saah's best game, holding midfielder to allow Eunan to roam dangerously, energetic forwards (except Bodin). Tremendous performance, well done guys. Roll on Hereford.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

To be fair, I think it's the only game that Billy B has played in, for us, that he has not particularly shone. Anyone else?
COYY
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Had a quick look at the league table earlier, and perhaps one point to think about is that as it stands, we have played 9 of the top 12 already but only 6 of the remaining sides.

Isn't it a trait of Lings tenure at Cambridge that they only ever beat sides in the bottom half? Perhaps an upcoming run of games against theoretically weaker opponents could lead to a healthier points total?
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I think we should just consider this a good win that came along at the right time when negativity was setting in. We must be careful about getting too carried away, just as much as those negative posters before this victory were going overboard in their comments about the poor qulaity of our players. These are my thoughts on the squad, for what they are worth. In my view we have 3 talented players O Kane, Ellis and Howe who could go on to a higher level. People have been critical of Howe but if he had pace to go with the rest of his game he wouldn't be playing for us. There's been plenty said O Kane. Ellis has the physicality and athletism to play at centre-half at a higher level. We then have a group of good professionals Robertson, Mansell and Nicholson playing at their level (maybe Morris when fit). Then there are two younger pros who have the ability to establsh themselves, Oastler and Lathrope, at this level. Whether they do is down to them in terms of commitment and the support they get from the coaches. I think they show promise. Then there are the very young pros, I can't really comment on them, time will tell. In my view, Atenio, Stevens and MacKlin have not done enough and in an ideal would be moved to free up space. Same for McPhee, although his signing was pragmatic and probably worth it as a short term measure as a utility player. Then there's Saah and I really don't know about him. I played 20 years as a centre-half in local football and what I found was that my effectiveness was often dependent on who I was paired with in the centre of defence. It maybe that Ellis being more atheletic and powerful than Robertson gives Saah the chance to play to his strengths. However, I haven't seen them play together so can't really comment.

Anyway, I think there will be more ups and downs this season and with what we've got we will finish mid-table.
TUST number 080
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

i wouldn't disagree too much with your asessment, although Ii have not actually seen Howe play. i am not so sure I would put Stevens in the same group as Macklin. Stevens is actually one of our better players (which probably goes to show how thin our squad is really).
I am not sure that Mcphee came as cheap as what you think and he isn't short term really as he is on a two year contract, however I think Ling has probably realised by now that he is useless.
The biggest gripe though is over Ellis whose inclusion in this team which has been shipping goals is long overdue.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Ellis has been criminally underused by ‘the weasel’ and up until recently by Dinger.

My hope is that Dinger will give him a decent shot at it and not react to every mistake by dropping him for ages. In other words give him the same breaks as Brian Saah has been afforded.

IMHO ME is one of the few in the squad who have the talent to play at a higher level.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

yellow wrote:Ellis has been criminally underused by ‘the weasel’ and up until recently by Dinger.

My hope is that Dinger will give him a decent shot at it and not react to every mistake by dropping him for ages. In other words give him the same breaks as Brian Saah has been afforded.

IMHO ME is one of the few in the squad who have the talent to play at a higher level.
No one at a higher level will recruit him and have him as a regular fixture in their team, unless he can start concentrating for all 90 minutes of the game.

As for criminally underused?
The manager and coaching staff see the players every day in training and also in reserve matches. If he was that good he would have been playing every match.

Just to remind you (as has been posted elsewhere), when he was dropped after the Hereford game last season after a run of poor games (not just 1), we went on to a run of 2 defeats in the next 20 matches with Branston and Robbo as centrebacks, and one of those defeats was at Accy when he was restored to the side after a rest and then got sent off.
And only 10 clean sheets in that run? What a shoddy defence Branners and Robbo made !!!!!
Arse! Drink!
El Goodo [CUFC]
New Signing
New Signing

Post by El Goodo [CUFC] »

Jeff wrote: Isn't it a trait of Lings tenure at Cambridge that they only ever beat sides in the bottom half? Perhaps an upcoming run of games against theoretically weaker opponents could lead to a healthier points total?
It was indeed. It was also a trait that we'd end a bad run of form with a 3 or 4 goal victory. You'll go a few games unbeaten now I expect.